The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index The Avengers International Fan Forum

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diana Rigg
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The People Behind The Avengers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mousemeat
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 5650
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
That's wonderful. Wish I could see it. My TV blew up!


video terrorists strike ? yikes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 5185
Location: Carmadoc Research Establishment

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
That's wonderful. Wish I could see it. My TV blew up!


video terrorists strike ? yikes
Yes, the most terrible of all - the terror of old age! It's the tuner/decoder box (digibox) really, the telly's even older and fine for playing DVDs on. But I need a digibox with an aerial connection and a SCART output and they're not easy to find these days. It's all WiFi and USBs. Might as well watch on my computer.
_________________
Last watched: "The Gilded Cage"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 5650
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
That's wonderful. Wish I could see it. My TV blew up!


video terrorists strike ? yikes
Yes, the most terrible of all - the terror of old age! It's the tuner/decoder box (digibox) really, the telly's even older and fine for playing DVDs on. But I need a digibox with an aerial connection and a SCART output and they're not easy to find these days. It's all WiFi and USBs. Might as well watch on my computer.



been there and done that....one of the down sides of using ancient equipment, etc...when it dies, certain items are virtually impossible to locate..hence the ' upgrade'....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darren
Mission... Highly Improbable!


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 2057
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lovely interview with Diana Rigg from the time she was making her sitcom "Diana".

https://youtu.be/zV9OkxEamp0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberrich
Site Admin


Joined: 05 Sep 2008
Posts: 1299
Location: Midlands, U.K.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren. Diana was always a great interviewee. It's a shame the sitcom didn't take off. I've only seen 2 episodes, and I have to say it was ok but not a classic. A bit of a pale imitation of the Mary Tyler Moore show. The writer's fault though, not Diana's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J.Mac3
Thingumajig


Joined: 26 Jun 2015
Posts: 67
Location: western Massachusetts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberrich wrote:
Thanks Darren. Diana was always a great interviewee. It's a shame the sitcom didn't take off. I've only seen 2 episodes, and I have to say it was ok but not a classic. A bit of a pale imitation of the Mary Tyler Moore show. The writer's fault though, not Diana's.


A nice interview. And funny to hear her say, "at my age." She was 35. That seems so young now!

And yes, it's unfortunate the show didn't do better. By that time in her career, Diana had shown what a fabulous actress she was. But even the best can't save mediocre writing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mousemeat
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 5650
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Mac3 wrote:
cyberrich wrote:
Thanks Darren. Diana was always a great interviewee. It's a shame the sitcom didn't take off. I've only seen 2 episodes, and I have to say it was ok but not a classic. A bit of a pale imitation of the Mary Tyler Moore show. The writer's fault though, not Diana's.


A nice interview. And funny to hear her say, "at my age." She was 35. That seems so young now!

And yes, it's unfortunate the show didn't do better. By that time in her career, Diana had shown what a fabulous actress she was. But even the best can't save mediocre writing.


little or no support from the Network....along with a poor time slot..combined with poor scripts..and it's no wonder the show tanked.

don't think there will ever be a proper dvd release of the show, here in the states...few yrs ago, I saw a dvd of some selected episodes ( boot leg ? ) and it was badly transferred ..look horrible....now if interest in Dame Diana picks up, then you could see a official release of the series...from best possible sources..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 5185
Location: Carmadoc Research Establishment

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a blessing in disguise. She deserved much better, though TV money can come in handy. But her artistic integrity is second to none and US television's loss was the British theatre's immeasurable gain.
_________________
Last watched: "The Gilded Cage"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
denis rigg
Mission... Highly Improbable!


Joined: 06 Sep 2008
Posts: 2423
Location: Moscow, Russia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the section with Diana Rigg for her vocals in solo numbers:

https://steedumbrella.ru/en_stage_and_screen_Diana_Rigg.html

Enjoy, dear Avengers and Diana Rigg fans. Wink
_________________
Russian Steedumbrella fan-site.
https://steedumbrella.ru

Denis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mousemeat
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 5650
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
Probably a blessing in disguise. She deserved much better, though TV money can come in handy. But her artistic integrity is second to none and US television's loss was the British theatre's immeasurable gain.



exactly....salary from american series, is often many times that of the stage, or UK tv series...But I'm sure it pays pretty good as well...sometimes one will take a acting job, because of the artistic worth...rather than the big payday
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 5185
Location: Carmadoc Research Establishment

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate O'Mara (of Dynasty and "Stay Tuned" fame) did the TV jobs to fund her theatrical troupe. Another great lady of the theatre like our Dame Diana.
_________________
Last watched: "The Gilded Cage"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 5650
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
Kate O'Mara (of Dynasty and "Stay Tuned" fame) did the TV jobs to fund her theatrical troupe. Another great lady of the theatre like our Dame Diana.


exactly...several actors...i.e. George Clooney, have commented something similar...Clooney will do the mainstream big budget film...that makes a ton of money, which in turn, allows him to fund and do smaller projects, such as ' GOODBYE and GOOD LUCK' the b/w film about Edward Murrow and his battle with Senator McCarthy..in the mid 50's..O'mara simply used the income as Franky stated to fund her group....and she won't be the last to do so.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 5185
Location: Carmadoc Research Establishment

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which brings us back to Bond and Sean Connery - part of his deal to come back after Lazenby was he got to make two films of his choice (with associated budgets) wasn't it? Though I think only one got made in the end? Patrick McGoohan almost got the same deal with Lew Grade after The Prisoner though things went awry. I wonder how many other stars have that much power. Few these days, I'd warrant.
_________________
Last watched: "The Gilded Cage"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 5650
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
Which brings us back to Bond and Sean Connery - part of his deal to come back after Lazenby was he got to make two films of his choice (with associated budgets) wasn't it? Though I think only one got made in the end? Patrick McGoohan almost got the same deal with Lew Grade after The Prisoner though things went awry. I wonder how many other stars have that much power. Few these days, I'd warrant.


Franky, you're right...David Picker at UA, lured Connery back..with two films of his choosing with budget..the first one was the OFFENCE. which saw a very limited release in the U.S. ....I have it on DVD, and I rather liked it. Wondering how it was received in the UK ? the 2nd film was on MacBeth...which eventually never got made...nor did Connery press for another ' 2nd ' film to do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberrich
Site Admin


Joined: 05 Sep 2008
Posts: 1299
Location: Midlands, U.K.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen most of Diana's film and tv appearances, but one I can't locate is her 1970 tv play called Married alive, co-starring Robert Culp. Has anyone seen this? What did you think of it? Do you know if there's anywhere we could watch this? Thanks. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 5185
Location: Carmadoc Research Establishment

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
Which brings us back to Bond and Sean Connery - part of his deal to come back after Lazenby was he got to make two films of his choice (with associated budgets) wasn't it? Though I think only one got made in the end? Patrick McGoohan almost got the same deal with Lew Grade after The Prisoner though things went awry. I wonder how many other stars have that much power. Few these days, I'd warrant.


Franky, you're right...David Picker at UA, lured Connery back..with two films of his choosing with budget..the first one was the OFFENCE. which saw a very limited release in the U.S. ....I have it on DVD, and I rather liked it. Wondering how it was received in the UK ? the 2nd film was on MacBeth...which eventually never got made...nor did Connery press for another ' 2nd ' film to do.
Thank you mousemeat. I really want to watch The Offence now. I expect Connery wasn't short of other offers to pick and choose from. He deserved it - very good actor - I was kind of surprised he bothered to return as Bond not once but twice (if you count the unofficial "Never Say Never Again" in the mid-1980s - didn't his wife suggest that title?). I've liked a lot of his stuff from Hell Drivers onwards. He was suggested for casting in early roles by the first Dr Who assistant, Jacqueline Hill who'd been in a TV play with him (about the sport of boxing).
_________________
Last watched: "The Gilded Cage"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darren
Mission... Highly Improbable!


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 2057
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana Rigg in 1970 on Desert Island Discs

(I'm assuming that everyone can access the BBC link)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p009ndj3?fbclid=IwAR2r1IoZ3nsMofsMxRZFYdODebtkD-X4CxQQBBHRnDbyR6UrlOqgHhDXmRY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 5650
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
Which brings us back to Bond and Sean Connery - part of his deal to come back after Lazenby was he got to make two films of his choice (with associated budgets) wasn't it? Though I think only one got made in the end? Patrick McGoohan almost got the same deal with Lew Grade after The Prisoner though things went awry. I wonder how many other stars have that much power. Few these days, I'd warrant.


Franky, you're right...David Picker at UA, lured Connery back..with two films of his choosing with budget..the first one was the OFFENCE. which saw a very limited release in the U.S. ....I have it on DVD, and I rather liked it. Wondering how it was received in the UK ? the 2nd film was on MacBeth...which eventually never got made...nor did Connery press for another ' 2nd ' film to do.
Thank you mousemeat. I really want to watch The Offence now. I expect Connery wasn't short of other offers to pick and choose from. He deserved it - very good actor - I was kind of surprised he bothered to return as Bond not once but twice (if you count the unofficial "Never Say Never Again" in the mid-1980s - didn't his wife suggest that title?). I've liked a lot of his stuff from Hell Drivers onwards. He was suggested for casting in early roles by the first Dr Who assistant, Jacqueline Hill who'd been in a TV play with him (about the sport of boxing).


The Offense is a brutal film...and worth the time to seek it out...I finally got a copy on Blu-ray...so I can pass on my dvd copy..prior to that, I had it on VHS...and I remember having my neighbor, (hacker) actually burn a copy of the VHS, on the 'new' DVD format and discs, back in the day....I was glad that Connery used his 'muscle' to get the Offense done..majority of the studios, wouldn't have done the film...Picker was a visionary studio head...and understood studios need both mainstream block busters, and the off the wall, art film types..He also knew that Lazenby, and later John Gavin, was not going to be the answer to 007..at least not initially, granted If Lazenby hadn't been such a moron, acting like a prima donna, and his idiot mgr-agent, and did DAF, he might have matured into the role, and UA could have eventually promote the new Bond..and the weak box office totals of OHMSS, which was far less than YOLT, raised concerns in the UA camp, whether or not Eon knew it or not..and Picker felt the series, couldn't go thru another ' re boot ' with american actor John Gavin..who's biggest success was in Hitchcock's Psycho ( 1960) so Picker convinced EON to go after Connery, with UA paying his then astronomical salary of 1.2 million ..and hence the offer of 2 films of connery's choosing..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 5185
Location: Carmadoc Research Establishment

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darren wrote:
Diana Rigg in 1970 on Desert Island Discs

(I'm assuming that everyone can access the BBC link)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p009ndj3?fbclid=IwAR2r1IoZ3nsMofsMxRZFYdODebtkD-X4CxQQBBHRnDbyR6UrlOqgHhDXmRY
Oooh! Thanks!! I wonder what she picked?
_________________
Last watched: "The Gilded Cage"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 5185
Location: Carmadoc Research Establishment

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice revealing interview.

Probably posted before but new to me.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/mar/09/diana-rigg-game-of-thrones-getting-older
_________________
Last watched: "The Gilded Cage"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The People Behind The Avengers All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 35 of 38

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com

Free Web Hosting | File Hosting | Photo Gallery | Matrimonial


Powered by PhpBB.BizHat.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com