The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index The Avengers International Fan Forum

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Avengers DVD Set 4 (Series 5) from Optimum
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers on home video (DVD/Blu-Ray/VHS/VoD/and others)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rdc180368
White Dwarf


Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you're capable of picking and fighting your own battles. Maybe I misinterpreted then... I'm sure I read something on one of the boards that inspired me to write what I did but perhaps it wasn't this particular thread?

One thing I will stick to though... nothing ever gets sorted simply by people moaning and complaining on an internet forum without addressing the points you want to someone who can sort it out. I'm not belittling the dissatisfaction that some people obviously have with this product (which is a shame given the time and effort and impressive picture quality) but ultimately it's up to them to do something to bring matters to a conclusion. I didn't think that was too contentious a point if I'm honest...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kim
The Ministry


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 1838
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdc180368 wrote:
I'm sure you're capable of picking and fighting your own battles. Maybe I misinterpreted then... I'm sure I read something on one of the boards that inspired me to write what I did but perhaps it wasn't this particular thread?

One thing I will stick to though... nothing ever gets sorted simply by people moaning and complaining on an internet forum without addressing the points you want to someone who can sort it out. I'm not belittling the dissatisfaction that some people obviously have with this product (which is a shame given the time and effort and impressive picture quality) but ultimately it's up to them to do something to bring matters to a conclusion. I didn't think that was too contentious a point if I'm honest...


I know it may sound like a lot of complaining and no action with all the problems that seemed to have cropped up, however, in my opinion, what better way to alert people than through this forum, of the various problems? We are very fortunate to have Jaz and Alan here so that they could contact the right people to have these problems resolved. Had people gone through ordinary channels, it might have taken a lot longer. It also gives people a chance to see if it's just a one off problem (one faulty disc or even player), or a massive one.

I do understand what you are trying to say and I know that you don't mean any harm. But do understand that this forum has been attracting attention by some influential people and could be the reason for better quality products hitting the market. Smile
_________________
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tara46
Thingumajig


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 52
Location: Birmingham UK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say this is an excellent forum. It is always the first place I go to look for information concerning the Avengers. It's very helpful to know if you are experiencing a problem that is unique or is affecting everybody else, as has been the case with some of the previous Optimum releases.

Thanks to all who keep this forum honest and worthwhile Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rdc180368
White Dwarf


Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally understand the point you're making. I'm certainly not saying people should be happy having shelled out a lot of money and this will be the second one I'll be sending back precisely for that reason. I'll stick a note in for the supplier telling them what's wrong and hopefully it will get taken up with Optimum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MRotten
Winged Avenger


Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Posts: 548
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tara46 wrote:
I must say this is an excellent forum. It is always the first place I go to look for information concerning the Avengers. It's very helpful to know if you are experiencing a problem that is unique or is affecting everybody else, as has been the case with some of the previous Optimum releases.

Thanks to all who keep this forum honest and worthwhile Very Happy


I agree. Civility and mature, intelligent dialogue among fans is found here, and I enjoy it very much. It is informative and lively. Everyone has their opinions but everyone tends to respect one another. It makes for a pleasant experience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jld21
Nutshell


Joined: 26 Sep 2008
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if anybody has noticed this is on their sets or it might just be me being really picky, but has anybody noticed an issue at the very start of The Bird Who Knew Too Much? I say an issue, but it's only about 1 second long and doesn't spoil the viewing of the episode.

Immediately after the end of the opening credits, we see an agent's legs running across a field. The first second appears to be unremastered footage then it kicks in with remastered footage where you can really tell the difference.

I've been really impressed with the quality of the episodes I've watched so far and think they have definitely been worth the wait!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pauljwyatt
Thingumajig


Joined: 26 Sep 2008
Posts: 69
Location: Greenwich, London

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jld21 wrote:
I'm not sure if anybody has noticed this is on their sets or it might just be me being really picky, but has anybody noticed an issue at the very start of The Bird Who Knew Too Much? I say an issue, but it's only about 1 second long and doesn't spoil the viewing of the episode.

Immediately after the end of the opening credits, we see an agent's legs running across a field. The first second appears to be unremastered footage then it kicks in with remastered footage where you can really tell the difference.

I've been really impressed with the quality of the episodes I've watched so far and think they have definitely been worth the wait!


Hello Jld21 - what you're noticing is an optical fade which was the customary way to fade to black or out from black in shows of this era. They would run a few hundred feet through an optical process to add the fade in (or fade out) The colour of the film would appear slightly darker because of this.
_________________
Designer, writer & Filmmaker

http://www.paulwyatt.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4065
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to posts on Roobarb's, there has been a botched pitch-shifting correction to the sound when mastering the series 5 set. It seems in some cases the pitch-shift was turned "up by 4%" instead of the necessary "down by 4%" to compensate for PAL speed-up (from film), making Steed sound like he's been inhaling helium. This varies from episode to episode and indeed within some lines within an episode.

A tricky one for Canal/Optimum to get corrected, I'd have thought. The sound mastering will have to be done again.
_________________
Last watched: The Man in the Mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paulpdjh
Little Wonder


Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 234
Location: London

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A tricky one for Canal/Optimum to get corrected, I'd have thought. The sound mastering will have to be done again.


Usually I'm quite unobservant when it comes to picture/sound errors on DVDs, but even I noticed something was wrong with the sound on this set. I wonder if the remastered Series 6 episodes have the same problem.
_________________
Paul
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cybernowt
Little Wonder


Joined: 06 Jul 2010
Posts: 240

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
According to posts on Roobarb's, there has been a botched pitch-shifting correction to the sound when mastering the series 5 set. It seems in some cases the pitch-shift was turned "up by 4%" instead of the necessary "down by 4%" to compensate for PAL speed-up (from film), making Steed sound like he's been inhaling helium. This varies from episode to episode and indeed within some lines within an episode.

A tricky one for Canal/Optimum to get corrected, I'd have thought. The sound mastering will have to be done again.


People were saying that they werent going to pre-order series 5, due to the errors with series 4. I wish I'd listened.

To be honest, I've not got around to watching any of the eps yet, I just put a disc in to look through the extras. I have though been waiting for this box set to come out [for a long time] to watch the eps in their supposed absolute best. Otherwise I could have just rewatched my old vhs'.

If this problem is going to be addressed, it would be nice to know. Otherwise I'm looking into sending it back asap, and I wont be pre-ordering series 6. The set was too much money to keep if its duff. I generally always wait to buy box sets. I never buy dvds when they first come out. I have patience and always wait for a few months to get them cheaper. But when I really fancy watching something, I'll splash out a bit more and buy is as soon as it appears. This [and series 4] was the only time I've done this in a couple of years at least. Which only adds to my annoyance.

Sorry if I appear overly snippy with this post. I know its not the end of the world by a long way, but I really do feel like I've been done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darren
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 1845
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just watched two of the reconstructions - Tunnel of Fear and Dragonsfield.

I always liked the sound of these from the synopsis and the recons proved very enjoyable in bringing alive the story. Great job

I've completed disc 5 and didn't notice any sound issues - not to say they aren't there but my enjoyment of the episodes was in no way impaired.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rdc180368
White Dwarf


Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybernowt wrote:
People were saying that they werent going to pre-order series 5, due to the errors with series 4. I wish I'd listened.

To be honest, I've not got around to watching any of the eps yet, I just put a disc in to look through the extras. I have though been waiting for this box set to come out [for a long time] to watch the eps in their supposed absolute best. Otherwise I could have just rewatched my old vhs'.

If this problem is going to be addressed, it would be nice to know. Otherwise I'm looking into sending it back asap, and I wont be pre-ordering series 6. The set was too much money to keep if its duff. I generally always wait to buy box sets. I never buy dvds when they first come out. I have patience and always wait for a few months to get them cheaper. But when I really fancy watching something, I'll splash out a bit more and buy is as soon as it appears. This [and series 4] was the only time I've done this in a couple of years at least. Which only adds to my annoyance.

Sorry if I appear overly snippy with this post. I know its not the end of the world by a long way, but I really do feel like I've been done.


I returned Series 4 because it clearly wasn't right and I still felt there were one or two outstanding issues (at least on the ones I had) that weren't addressed by the replacement discs. I just decided to cut my losses.

I hoped Series 5 would be okay... I wasn't especially pessimistic before it arrived - I don't think you can go through life expecting the worst in absolutely everything - and it's been disappointing to find problems with these too. Again, I've just decided to draw a line under it and send them back for a refund.

Hopefully things will be okay with Series 6. The restored screen shots look terrific and hopefully everything else will be as expected too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alan
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 2987
Location: The Edge of Avengerland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I've just watched two of the reconstructions - Tunnel of Fear and Dragonsfield.

I always liked the sound of these from the synopsis and the recons proved very enjoyable in bringing alive the story. Great job.


Thanks, Darren. These ones are Alys' babies really. She wrote the narration scripts and did the bulk of the video editing. I just put the images together, recorded and edited the audio and made tea and mopped her brow! She did a great job, I think! Cool
_________________
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger Books
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
dissolute
The Ministry


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 1794
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I might cancel my Amazon order. Can anyone verify these problems are definite?
_________________
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alan
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 2987
Location: The Edge of Avengerland

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are definite.
_________________
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger Books
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
dissolute
The Ministry


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 1794
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame. Sad
I was so looking forward to the extras and your reconstructions.

Oh well, that'll give me more time to rework season 3 - and I've decided to bite the bullet and redo every single mugshot on the site - making then 250 pixels square instead of 150 square. I'll need an additional 25MB of disk space but I have about 200MB free on my host so there's no problem there.
I might even throw in super-size enlargements for the major guest stars, the prinicipals and I'll definitely redo and standardise the "feature images" illustrating the episodes. Some of those Emma Peel pictures are downright shoddy and need to go!
_________________
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MRotten
Winged Avenger


Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Posts: 548
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the sound problems limited to 2 episodes, or are there more episodes with audio flaws?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darren
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 1845
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally speaking, if the audio fault is on every episode then I wouldn't have noticed them at all unless someone had pointed it out.

It's probably more obvious to those used to the A&E releases.

If replacements weren't offered then personally it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

The "corrected" audio examples done by a guy on the Roobarbs Forum sounded odd to me but that's apparently how Steed and Emma are supposed to sound Confused . I'll possibly stick with the set as it is as as I said I never noticed the issue.

I watched Who's Who??? and Return of the Cybernauts last night (both look stunning) and really enjoyed them - this audio issue didn't infringe on my enjoyment at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
servalan66
White Dwarf


Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: faults Reply with quote

well I beg to differ, and your hearing cannot be that good, the sound issues are very noticable, as no doubt optimum will admit. whether they replace them all is another matter. and I am not used to the american ones, only ever had the uk videos and dvd's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darren
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 1845
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: faults Reply with quote

servalan66 wrote:
well I beg to differ, and your hearing cannot be that good, the sound issues are very noticable, as no doubt optimum will admit. whether they replace them all is another matter. and I am not used to the american ones, only ever had the uk videos and dvd's.


As I said on Roobards, my hearing is fine thank you.Smile

Is it so impossible for you to understand that I do not have a major issue with this.

Edited as it's not meant to come over as aggressive.


Last edited by Darren on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:11 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers on home video (DVD/Blu-Ray/VHS/VoD/and others) All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com

Free Web Hosting | File Hosting | Photo Gallery | Matrimonial


Powered by PhpBB.BizHat.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com