The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index The Avengers International Fan Forum

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comic Strip Avengers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers Online
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybernowt wrote:
Sorry, not been around for a while. Thank you for mentioning this. Always interesting to see references.

And is that Peter Bowles behind her!?


You're very welcome. It took a second for it to register--the name sounded familiar, but it was the Canada bit that clinched it. There are so many Avengers references in comics, which is nice to see. I didn't notice the guy behind her before, but given the in-joke in the panel already, it could very well be Peter Bowles! Shocked

Since I finished the Bond collection, I've read a spy/action-adventure mini-series called Jack Avarice is the Courier. Very Bondish, and packed with pop culture references. At one point there's a screen with pictures of various "active" agents, and there are a couple of familiar faces in the top row (you can click the image for a larger size):

http://jackavarice.blogspot.ca/2011/11/are-you-spymaster.html

It's quite fun to go through them all and see if you can name them. I didn't get the full set, but I hit a good chunk of them. There's an answer key in the last of the comments at the bottom of the page.

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Well spotted, Timeless.


Thanks. Very Happy It's what comes from having Avengers on the brain, I suppose. Laughing
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cariheart
Winged Avenger


Joined: 10 Oct 2008
Posts: 532
Location: Florida USA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybernowt wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
I didn't know quite where to put this, but I've been reading a collection of Bond comics, and one story, "Fear Face", featured a discredited female agent using a suspicously familiar fake name.




"Belinda Thorsen." From Canada. Even the people working on Bond comics are Avengers fans. Laughing


Sorry, not been around for a while. Thank you for mentioning this. Always interesting to see references.

And is that Peter Bowles behind her!?


Funny...it does resemble Peter! 'Belinda' looks more like Cathy Gale with her hair tied back. Nice find Timeless!
_________________
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cariheart wrote:
Funny...it does resemble Peter! 'Belinda' looks more like Cathy Gale with her hair tied back. Nice find Timeless!


Thanks! She does look rather Cathyesque, doesn't she? But maybe the writer thought calling her "Honoria Blackmen" would be too obvious. Wink
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cybernowt
Little Wonder


Joined: 06 Jul 2010
Posts: 240

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timeless A-Peel wrote:


Since I finished the Bond collection, I've read a spy/action-adventure mini-series called Jack Avarice is the Courier. Very Bondish, and packed with pop culture references. At one point there's a screen with pictures of various "active" agents, and there are a couple of familiar faces in the top row (you can click the image for a larger size):

http://jackavarice.blogspot.ca/2011/11/are-you-spymaster.html

It's quite fun to go through them all and see if you can name them. I didn't get the full set, but I hit a good chunk of them. There's an answer key in the last of the comments at the bottom of the page.


Good job there was a key.. some of those likenesses are a bit ropey! Would never have got Daniel Craig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cybernowt
Little Wonder


Joined: 06 Jul 2010
Posts: 240

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Avengers TV Comic strips, but their TV Comic friend, Dr Who.

Paul Scoones has been researching and writing a book on the old pre-Dr Who Weekly comic strips for years, and it has finally hit the news stands and may be of interest to some here.



A lovely big book coming in at over 600 pages and covering the Dr Who strips from the beginning - a year after Dr Who began on TV - up until Polystyle relinquished the rights to the strip in 1979 (where it was snapped up by Des Skinn to be part of Dr Who Weekly.) Covering the first 4 Doctors through TV Comic, Countdown, TV Action and then back into TV Comic again, aswell as strips from the World Dr Who Annuals and the TV Century 21 Dalek strips and their World Annuals. Plus more facts and background information and continuity information than you can shake your booty at. Including lots of never heard facts gleaned from Polystyles original office paperwork. This book has been extensively researched.

Now if we can only convince Paul to do a similar thing as a glossy fanzine covering the Avengers strips!

The book can be bought direct from Telos, or from Amazon where is is also in stock.

The standard softcover book is available from the links below and there is also now a limited hard cover edition from Telos with a different cover by 90 year old Bill Mevin - the second artist on the Dr Who TV Comic strip in the 60's.

Order from Telos
http://www.telos.me.uk/category.php?id=6#132

Order From Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Comic-Strip-Companion-Unofficial-Unauthorised/dp/1845830709/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347991778&sr=8-1


Ian
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybernowt wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:


Since I finished the Bond collection, I've read a spy/action-adventure mini-series called Jack Avarice is the Courier. Very Bondish, and packed with pop culture references. At one point there's a screen with pictures of various "active" agents, and there are a couple of familiar faces in the top row (you can click the image for a larger size):

http://jackavarice.blogspot.ca/2011/11/are-you-spymaster.html

It's quite fun to go through them all and see if you can name them. I didn't get the full set, but I hit a good chunk of them. There's an answer key in the last of the comments at the bottom of the page.


Good job there was a key.. some of those likenesses are a bit ropey! Would never have got Daniel Craig!


I got Daniel (it's the ears that give it away Wink ), but some of the others were tough. He's also used the modern equivalents of some characters (the Steve Carell version of Maxwell Smart, for example), which makes them harder to spot. But it's a great little visual in-joke.
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dandy Forsdyke
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 5281
Location: Camberwick Green

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to see the episodes adapted into comic strip form.



Few more here. Used a few different styles.
_________________

THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4013
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great sense of colour and composition. Better than most 1960s pop art I've seen! You really ought to do a comic strip sequence of Our Heroes. Maybe a classic scene...
_________________
Last watched: Lobster Quadrille.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dandy Forsdyke
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 5281
Location: Camberwick Green

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words. The tools are all there in Paint, Piknik and Picasa anyone could do it. Smile

I like the idea of adapting classic scene, with perhaps a twist on it. I'll start thinking about it.
_________________

THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Thank you for the kind words. The tools are all there in Paint, Piknik and Picasa anyone could do it. Smile

I like the idea of adapting classic scene, with perhaps a twist on it. I'll start thinking about it.


Ooh, I'd love to see that. Very Happy
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cybernowt
Little Wonder


Joined: 06 Jul 2010
Posts: 240

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A look at the final Steed and Mrs Peel TV Comic strip over at The Forget Me Notes, from August/September 1966.

In 'A Grave Matter' Steed and Mrs Peel are up against foreign agent Wander The Wizard.



http://groups.yahoo.com/group/The-Forget-Me-Notes/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dandy Forsdyke
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 5281
Location: Camberwick Green

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ian. Congratulations on your "new little bundle of noise". Hope you are getting some shut-eye!

Found this on a blog in case you've not seen it.
_________________

THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Found this on a blog in case you've not seen it.


I get all nostalgic whenever I see the John Steed, Emma Peel Gold Key comic. I remember the excitement of finding it a comic book store for the huge sum of $30--the comic shop owner proceeded to give it to me for $25. Fond memories. Smile

Loved the description of the comic--and Steed and Emma wandering around in "post-coital bliss." Laughing
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14


Last edited by Timeless A-Peel on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dandy Forsdyke
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 5281
Location: Camberwick Green

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Found this on a blog in case you've not seen it.


I get all nostalgic whenever I see the John Steed, Emma Peel Gold Key comic. I remember the excitement of finding it a comic book store for the huge sum of $30--the comic shop owner proceeded to give it to me for $25. Fond memories. Smile


Didn't go by the name of Stuart Bloom, did he .. ? Wink
_________________

THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Found this on a blog in case you've not seen it.


I get all nostalgic whenever I see the John Steed, Emma Peel Gold Key comic. I remember the excitement of finding it a comic book store for the huge sum of $30--the comic shop owner proceeded to give it to me for $25. Fond memories. Smile


Didn't go by the name of Stuart Bloom, did he .. ? Wink


If he did, then the sex-change operation was hugely successful. Wink (It was a lady comic shop owner).
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dandy Forsdyke
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 5281
Location: Camberwick Green

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a flashback of Stuart singing karaoke in his towel again. Not a pretty sight ..
_________________

THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Just got a flashback of Stuart singing karaoke in his towel again. Not a pretty sight ..


I love the comic book store in TBBT because they got it so right. I've been in loads of comic book stores, and whoever built the set got it bang on. Smile
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cybernowt
Little Wonder


Joined: 06 Jul 2010
Posts: 240

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Thanks, Ian. Congratulations on your "new little bundle of noise". Hope you are getting some shut-eye!


Thank you, Dandy. The little fellow is much quieter than our first one was!

If anyone is interested, our little bundle of action is officially named..



Other names blacked out to protect the innocent!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybernowt, you are officially an awesome parent! Cool And the little guy is just as adorable as his namesake. Very Happy
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cybernowt
Little Wonder


Joined: 06 Jul 2010
Posts: 240

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Cybernowt, you are officially an awesome parent! Cool And the little guy is just as adorable as his namesake. Very Happy


In my younger days I always fancied a name with a bit more action to it!

When we were suggesting names for the then forthcoming baby my wife was throwing out anything she could think of, and Gambit was one of them.. jokingly really... but I did like the sound of it! And eventually it became his 2nd middle name.

It was either that or all of the local football team, but I dont like football..!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers Online All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com

Free Web Hosting | File Hosting | Photo Gallery | Matrimonial


Powered by PhpBB.BizHat.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com