The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index The Avengers International Fan Forum

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Avengers - A 50th Anniversary Celebration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers Spun-Off
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MRotten
Winged Avenger


Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Posts: 529
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnSteedFr wrote:
To Linda's defense, I'd say--again--that I don't share Brian Clemens' views on her. If she was selected, that's because SHE was perfect for the part (some rumors, that I won't refer to, and I don't want to believe that rubbish anyway, pretended Linda had obtained the job thanks to her relation with Bryce Crying or Very sad ). Those rumors were just the words expressed by anti-tara groups (Shame some as.... exist).

Linda had to stay in the Avengers and it's certainly NOT her fault if the series didn't continue for its 7th season. ABC should have found another time slot (10pm like the first episodes broadcast in the US) to let the show survive.

That's all I have to say.


Absolutely. ABC in America killed the show, putting it on at the inappropriate kiddie hour of 7:30 PM. As the 7-8 PM hour was considered 'family hour', I'm surprised, on reflection, that ABC got away with placing it there, with its violent content. The country was wild about Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in, which started at 8 PM on NBC. There was no way the show could survive in competition with the No. 1 rated show at the time. Everyone watched Laugh-in. It was almost as if ABC wanted the show to fail. In any case, it was a very bad decision and the ratings plummetted. I think it would have failed even if Diana Rigg had still been on the show.

Linda was a first-rate Avengers girl, no matter what Clemens has said.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnSteedFr
How to Succeed... at Posting!


Joined: 09 Sep 2008
Posts: 948
Location: Resagne Hall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And also, I'm sure many people couldn't watch the show at 7.30pm, it was too early. Notably for people who came back from work...
It must be a very good explanation to those ratings which decreased abruptly.
_________________
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dan
Little Wonder


Joined: 10 Jun 2010
Posts: 235
Location: At the Ranch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRotten wrote:
JohnSteedFr wrote:
To Linda's defense, I'd say--again--that I don't share Brian Clemens' views on her. If she was selected, that's because SHE was perfect for the part (some rumors, that I won't refer to, and I don't want to believe that rubbish anyway, pretended Linda had obtained the job thanks to her relation with Bryce Crying or Very sad ). Those rumors were just the words expressed by anti-tara groups (Shame some as.... exist).

Linda had to stay in the Avengers and it's certainly NOT her fault if the series didn't continue for its 7th season. ABC should have found another time slot (10pm like the first episodes broadcast in the US) to let the show survive.

That's all I have to say.


Absolutely. ABC in America killed the show, putting it on at the inappropriate kiddie hour of 7:30 PM. As the 7-8 PM hour was considered 'family hour', I'm surprised, on reflection, that ABC got away with placing it there, with its violent content. The country was wild about Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in, which started at 8 PM on NBC. There was no way the show could survive in competition with the No. 1 rated show at the time. Everyone watched Laugh-in. It was almost as if ABC wanted the show to fail. In any case, it was a very bad decision and the ratings plummetted. I think it would have failed even if Diana Rigg had still been on the show.

Linda was a first-rate Avengers girl, no matter what Clemens has said.


The ironic thing here is how bad Laugh-In was. Talk about a show that didn't age well. Watching it now (and even allowing for the fact that it was topical humor) you wonder what people saw in it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
frank
Little Wonder


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 222
Location: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh in was a creature of its time and it struck a cultural pulse and was escapist enough.

I personally don't want to take anything away from it in order to defend the Avengers. It was a hit show then and appealed to people at the time. Many shows are like that. The Avengers even back then was a niche show. From my understanding it was never a top ten show or a ratings giant.

When it comes to programming, the rationale is not always so cut and dry. ABC at the time was a distant 3rd as a network. That reason alone probably explains why they took a chance airing the show at all.

I don't believe they were trying to deliberately kill the show since they were paying for it. You have to ask how well the show did not only in its previous timeslot but how it compared to other shows that were on ABC at the time.

A show like the Avengers may have been deemed what's called "alternative programming". You certainly wouldn't be putting it up against another spy show at the time like Mission Impossible

truth of the matter is a show like the Avengers, like Star Trek, likely gained more prominence after the show got cancelled
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4008
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRotten wrote:
Linda was a first-rate Avengers girl, no matter what Clemens has said.
Well of course she was. If she was not good enough, they'd have paid her off and got someone else, and used the few episodes she'd made, even if it was only as many as Venus Smith... You don't endanger the further sales of a big expensive series for the sake of the salary of one actress.
_________________
Last watched: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Station.


Last edited by Frankymole on Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MLP*
Thingumajig


Joined: 14 Jun 2010
Posts: 84

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
MRotten wrote:
Linda was a first-rate Avengers girl, no matter what Clemens has said.
Well of coure she was. If she was not good enough, they'd have paid her off and got someone else, and used the few episodes she'd made, even if it was only as many as Venus Smith... You don't endanger the further sales of a big expensive series for the sake of the salary of one actress.


Yeah. Clemens has always sounded so lukewarm about Tara/Linda.
Given that they scrapped all the episodes she shot and started again, I don't know why he didn't do another "Elizabeth Shepherd" and just recast if he wasn't happy with the actress they'd chosen in his absence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dissolute
The Ministry


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 1408
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank wrote:
The Avengers even back then was a niche show. From my understanding it was never a top ten show or a ratings giant.


Hmmm, I don't know about the American experience, but it was THE top show in the UK & Australia. Why do you think so many actors wanted to appear on it?

It was SO popular in Australian that a prominent politician once wrote to The Sydney Morning Herald, complaining about the show being broadcast in the same time slot as his party political broadcast on the other channels. He accused the station of being in league with the government and seeking to ensure he was not heard by the general public, all of whom would have been watching "The Avengers".
_________________
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MRotten
Winged Avenger


Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Posts: 529
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Avengers was a mainstream hit in the USA. There even was an episode of the spy comedy Get Smart which had an episode with two characters which spoofed Mrs. Peel and Steed.

The Avengers had previously been considered an adult show, airing at 10 PM, where it should have stayed. 7:30 was way too early in the evening to be showing such a sophisticated program. I remember cartoons were on at 7 PM, as, again, it was the family hour.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression has always been that ABC put the Avengers in the Laugh-In slot precisely because it did so well in the ratings, and they saw it as the only show they had that stood a chance of competing against it. I don't think they were trying to kill it off at all--they were hoping it would win the ratings war.
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JohnSteedFr
How to Succeed... at Posting!


Joined: 09 Sep 2008
Posts: 948
Location: Resagne Hall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLP* wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
MRotten wrote:
Linda was a first-rate Avengers girl, no matter what Clemens has said.
Well of coure she was. If she was not good enough, they'd have paid her off and got someone else, and used the few episodes she'd made, even if it was only as many as Venus Smith... You don't endanger the further sales of a big expensive series for the sake of the salary of one actress.


Yeah. Clemens has always sounded so lukewarm about Tara/Linda.
Given that they scrapped all the episodes she shot and started again, I don't know why he didn't do another "Elizabeth Shepherd" and just recast if he wasn't happy with the actress they'd chosen in his absence.


And if you listened to Jennifer Croxton's commentary on the DVDs by Optimum, she was the only one, even the first person, to declare that the episodes under the direction of John Bryce were wonderful.
I've always thought those missing stories had been reshot because it didn't reflect what Brian Clemens had in mind.
They might have been excellent (from what I heard and read about INVITATION TO A KILLING thanks to the radio episodes and the storyline written on Avengers Declassified, I came to adore it and think that the plot is superior to the script of HAVE GUNS WILL HAGGLE).
_________________
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
frank
Little Wonder


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 222
Location: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some online research. While there doesn't seem to be any available exact info about the US Nielson ratings for the Avengers, there is some data for average ratings for programs in general of that time period.

for the 1960s there are listings of the top 25 ranking shows for each US season. The Avengers never appears on these lists. Get Smart and Man From Uncle during the mid-60s do make the list along with Bewitched and the first season Batman. The latter 2 shows were also on ABC

The most revealing thing which no one ever seems to notice or notes concerns Laugh-In. For the 1968-69 season, Laugh-IN was indeed the Number 1 show in the US. It was in its second year. The previous season it was ranked number 21!

From its 1st season to its 2nd it jumped 20 spots and increased its audience by almost 50%.

Taking that into account it doesn't seem so bizarre to have scheduled the Avengers against it. It seems more likely it was designed as a counter-programming move. Who would have expected in 1968 for Laugh-In to have such a massive ratings surge. It's almost unheard of.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MRotten
Winged Avenger


Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Posts: 529
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda had said that she took it as a "back-handed compliment" that The Avengers went up against Laugh-In. I agree; Laugh-In dates badly, as most of the comedy was topical and of the "now" variety. It certainly was a colourful show to watch, but much of the humour falls flat 40+ years after the fact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bramford
Thingumajig


Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Posts: 66
Location: Mackiedockie Court

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently watched Laugh-In on DVD and was hugely disappointed. Terribly unfunny show that relied heavily on catch-phrases to get laughs. Perhaps you had to grow up with it to appreciate it but it's hard to believe this was once the number one rated television show in America. The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour on the other hand is still funny today.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
frank
Little Wonder


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 222
Location: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I want to encourage hijacking the thread, but the Smothers Bros show actually did decent for itself. It was in the top 20 and won an emmy for writing but the show was considered too subversive at the time

anyway any more cool follow ups about the celebrations. It would be nice if there's more posted video from the event for those of us too far and too poor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MRotten
Winged Avenger


Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Posts: 529
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bramford wrote:
I recently watched Laugh-In on DVD and was hugely disappointed. Terribly unfunny show that relied heavily on catch-phrases to get laughs. Perhaps you had to grow up with it to appreciate it but it's hard to believe this was once the number one rated television show in America. The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour on the other hand is still funny today.


I agree; Laugh-In is a dud of a show watching it now. I was very disappointed over the DVD releases of The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. Great guests such as Agnes Moorehead and musical guests like The Hollies and The Bee Gees are missing. The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour featured humour with a political bent, and the CBS Network wasn't too happy about it. It, too, may be dated but at least it's still funny; Pat Paulsen in particular was a riot, claiming to be running for President.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ischtar
Winged Avenger


Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 641

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just returned from England yesterday - but I should have stayed longer...


Very Happy

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/passtheremote/2011/07/celebrate-the-avengers-at-50.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Shanet
Nutshell


Joined: 03 Dec 2010
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of Paul Wyatt's showreels have been posted on his vimeo account

http://vimeo.com/pauljwyatt

No sign of the Thorson one though.
_________________
**In a world full of caterpillars it takes guts to be a butterfly**
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnSteedFr
How to Succeed... at Posting!


Joined: 09 Sep 2008
Posts: 948
Location: Resagne Hall

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanet wrote:
Some of Paul Wyatt's showreels have been posted on his vimeo account

http://vimeo.com/pauljwyatt

No sign of the Thorson one though.


Season 5 !!! Very Happy
The 'Golden era'.
_________________
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bhdaviesuk
Thingumajig


Joined: 19 Oct 2008
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanet wrote:
Some of Paul Wyatt's showreels have been posted on his vimeo account

http://vimeo.com/pauljwyatt

No sign of the Thorson one though.


Thanks for the link. Smile
--
Barbara
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MLP*
Thingumajig


Joined: 14 Jun 2010
Posts: 84

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Avengers event in Chichester.

http://www.chichestercinema.org/film/1212/THE-AVENGERS

Slightly smaller scale this time. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers Spun-Off All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com

Free Web Hosting | File Hosting | Photo Gallery | Matrimonial


Powered by PhpBB.BizHat.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com