The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index The Avengers International Fan Forum

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Complete Avengers: 50th Anniversary Edition (39 Discs)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers on home video (DVD/Blu-Ray/VHS/VoD/and others)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4066
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that the episodes are in English, and the German subtitles are removable (at least on the episodes, they may not be on the special features/interviews). I will let you know exactly what they're like when I play some of it.

I used to speak some German at least at beginner-level, thanks to 6 months of evening classes and an Austrian friend, but these days I find that I can only just about navigate the German Amazon website! Embarassed
_________________
Last watched: The Man in the Mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1683

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you. I looked at that German site and could barely ask for help. I would be very interested what they are like. Please let us know!

I went ahead and bought the UK version but I would be very interested to know. As long as John Steed is not speaking German! LOL!

It looks to be pretty much the same price as the UK from what i can see. Where do you live Frankymole if i may ask? I was surprised the taxes were taken off from UK VAT so it was actually cheaper for me to buy it here in US.
Shipping was minimal.
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anti-clockwise wrote:
I was surprised the taxes were taken off from UK VAT so it was actually cheaper for me to buy it here in US.
Shipping was minimal.


They'll never charge you tax if you're not a resident of the country. The same goes when I buy stuff from the US--all the applicable state taxes were exempted. Depending on how much they're charging, it can sometimes make up for the shipping.
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1683

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.So it may actually be cheaper to buy overseas. I would have never realized that! By the way I love your witty banter Timeless. I am still laughing and am becoming more informed from your posts. Thank you!
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4066
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anti-clockwise wrote:
It looks to be pretty much the same price as the UK from what i can see. Where do you live Frankymole if i may ask?
I'm in the UK. It would be nice not to be charged tax on the German set, but I have a feeling that I will get charged tax on import, by the UK revenue authorities.
_________________
Last watched: The Man in the Mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anti-clockwise wrote:
Interesting.So it may actually be cheaper to buy overseas. I would have never realized that! By the way I love your witty banter Timeless. I am still laughing and am becoming more informed from your posts. Thank you!


Well, thank you! I'm Canadian and someone's saying I'm funny--quick, alert Brian Clemens! Wink
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1683

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Franky if you buy it in the US they will charge you $288 so don't feel too badly! LOL!

Timeless...well you are just timeless. So funny. I guess you guys just have no sense of humor in Canada! Not!

i had this feeling Clemens might be blaming LT for the show not lasting and being frustrated that his star Emma Peel was leaving the show. That kind of thing could even end a show. And when Clemens wants to insult/blame someone he just says they have no sense of humor. ludicrous!

LT could not have survived if that were the case. The whole season was one parody after another and she was superb and elegant yet understated in her demeanor.
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anti-clockwise wrote:
Well Franky if you buy it in the US they will charge you $288 so don't feel too badly! LOL!

Timeless...well you are just timeless. So funny. I guess you guys just have no sense of humor in Canada! Not!

i had this feeling Clemens might be blaming LT for the show not lasting and being frustrated that his star Emma Peel was leaving the show. That kind of thing could even end a show. And when Clemens wants to insult/blame someone he just says they have no sense of humor. ludicrous!

LT could not have survived if that were the case. The whole season was one parody after another and she was superb and elegant yet understated in her demeanor.


Aw, you're very kind. Smile Linda was a victim of circumstances and came in for a lot of unwarranted flak. She handled it admirably considering what she was up against, and for someone so young. I love so much of what Brian's done, but I think when it came to Linda, and then TNA in Canada, the surrounding circumstances of the way the show went contributed to some rather unfair biases on his part.
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1683

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really sounds that way with Clemens. Sorry if i am asking redundant questions--haven't gotten through all the massive threads here. But I wondered what his relationship was with Diana Rigg? I know she initially got paid poorly. Wondered who was involved with that.

But the fact that she did not go to the 50th anniversary and Clemens read the letter he sent her, I just wondered if he was hard to get along with or was difficult working with the female stars. But I am just guessing or wondering since I haven't read enough yet.

Also why did Diana Rigg leave? I imagine there was her success and a movie waiting but I wonder given that she expresses she did not enjoy those years--so sad--she was great--that she may have been itching to leave. I will get around to reading this stuff--eventually!
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anti-clockwise wrote:
It really sounds that way with Clemens. Sorry if i am asking redundant questions--haven't gotten through all the massive threads here. But I wondered what his relationship was with Diana Rigg? I know she initially got paid poorly. Wondered who was involved with that.

But the fact that she did not go to the 50th anniversary and Clemens read the letter he sent her, I just wondered if he was hard to get along with or was difficult working with the female stars. But I am just guessing or wondering since I haven't read enough yet.

Also why did Diana Rigg leave? I imagine there was her success and a movie waiting but I wonder given that she expresses she did not enjoy those years--so sad--she was great--that she may have been itching to leave. I will get around to reading this stuff--eventually!


I don't know quite how friendly they were, to be honest. I don't think I've ever read much about the personal relationship between Diana and Brian (he's talked about her in relation to her role, etc. quite extensively, but that's something else entirely). I don't know how much control he had over her pay, either, though I don't think it would have been loads. But I'd say he was closer to Gareth Hunt or Joanna Lumley than Diana. That's just a guess, though.

Diana left for a number of reasons. She actually wanted to leave after her first season, but stayed on because Patrick asked her to. He was having a rough time in his personal life, and needed a friend, so she stayed on for season 5. The pay issue was one thing. She was also missing the theatre, and working double duty--filming during the day and acting onstage in the evening, which was obviously exhausting. And I think she simply got restless and wanted to do other things, which is entirely understandable. She's always acknowledged how much the show did for her profile, and recently I feel as though she's turned a corner in her perception of it. But there's no question that during that period of time, they didn't treat the actors particularly well.
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1683

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. How were the actors not treated so well? I know of Riggs complaints but not for the actors in general. Did most of them have a theatre background? I cannot believe Diana did theatre at night. that does not even sound physically possible!
Well I can't wait to get the DVD set! Hope my DVD player cooperates. I read Sony DVD's are fickle with programming. Either that or I will fly to the UK to watch! Cool
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anti-clockwise wrote:
Interesting. How were the actors not treated so well? I know of Riggs complaints but not for the actors in general. Did most of them have a theatre background? I cannot believe Diana did theatre at night. that does not even sound physically possible!


Just a general impression from what I've read, mainly working long hours for less than they really should have gotten given overseas sales and merchandising and the like. Lots of long days where they'd supposed to be churning out an episode every 10 days to 2 weeks, but would inevitably get behind, and wind up shooting two, three, sometimes four episodes simultaneously. Honor Blackman didn't get a single solitary day off all the way through when she did season 2. If she wasn't shooting or rehearsing, she was doing costume fittings, or press interviews, or training for her fights. As Diana said, it was the life of a mole--you went into the studio before the sun came up, and left when it was dark, never having seen the daylight. They just worked incredibly hard, though generally they seemed to take it pretty cheerfully. I have no idea how Diana managed the double-duty at the theatre--she used to nap in her dressing room during her lunch hour, so I suppose that helped.

A lot of actors did theatre at one point or another. Gareth had a lot of theatre behind him when he did TNA (he also pulled a Diana Rigg-style double shift during the early part of TNA's first season). Linda was fresh out of drama school when she did the show, but went on to do a lot of theatre, and Patrick, Honor, and Joanna have been on the stage quite a bit over the years.
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1683

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow being an actor then was not very glamorous. Not like today a million an episode. Somewhere in between the 2 sounds more fair. But i guess it's not the money at the time but the fame later that has paid off for them. Wonder why they did not fight for more money if the show was so successful?
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Speed Six
Little Wonder


Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Posts: 195
Location: The Open Road

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Diana did fight for a pay rise after the first season, but generally speaking actors aren't paid a great deal for their work over here. There are quite a few to chose from as well !

Regarding the situation where actors might appear on stage in the evening while acting in a TV show during the day - it's not so much of a problem in the UK where the West End theatres and the main film studios aren't that far from each other.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1683

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But in this day and age the famous ones must get paid well? I live in California and what Charlie Sheen made over a million an episode on his show? Don't quote me on it but they are ridiculous salaries. THey are just actors.
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed Six wrote:
I think Diana did fight for a pay rise after the first season, but generally speaking actors aren't paid a great deal for their work over here. There are quite a few to chose from as well !

Regarding the situation where actors might appear on stage in the evening while acting in a TV show during the day - it's not so much of a problem in the UK where the West End theatres and the main film studios aren't that far from each other.


I can see that. I was reading an old interview with Patrick from the Rigg era, and he was commenting on how geography made it quite easy to have a play, a movie, and a TV series all going at once, and commute in-between, whereas in North America everything's much farther apart. It still must put a strain on them after awhile, though--if you're up at 5:30 to catch your ride to the studio, and your play doesn't close until late in the evening, that really doesn't leave much time for sleep and the other necessities of life. Diana looks visibly more tired throughout the colour episodes as it starts to take its toll.

I suspect there was a certain degree of, "We're giving you a regular job, don't complain" going on as well. Diana had some leverage in that the show was doing well internationally, but not everyone would have had that advantage.
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1683

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very different life for an actor in the UK vs. in North America and I guess still is. Sounds a bit overwhelming but rather exciting. This board is so informative as it really is international!
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
supersimon
Thingumajig


Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Posts: 95
Location: Timperley

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole - I just love that picture of Tara that you have - could it be made available in good quality resolution?!!

TIA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4066
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supersimon wrote:
Frankymole - I just love that picture of Tara that you have - could it be made available in good quality resolution?!!

TIA
This is the highest resolution that I found it in:

http://www.wrekers.nl/Season7.htm
_________________
Last watched: The Man in the Mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
supersimon wrote:
Frankymole - I just love that picture of Tara that you have - could it be made available in good quality resolution?!!

TIA
This is the highest resolution that I found it in:

http://www.wrekers.nl/Season7.htm


PURRR to the rescue (not exactly the same picture, but from the same shoot):

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/PurrrWrekers/Linda%20Thorson/thorson_220513_01.jpg
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers on home video (DVD/Blu-Ray/VHS/VoD/and others) All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 15 of 19

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com

Free Web Hosting | File Hosting | Photo Gallery | Matrimonial


Powered by PhpBB.BizHat.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com