The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index The Avengers International Fan Forum

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rocky Taylor
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The People Behind The Avengers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4214
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Rocky Taylor Reply with quote

I've just seen my favourite Cybernaut on "Russell Howard's Good News" in a repeat from 2011 (a stand-up comedy show, but with a "mystery guest" spot where Rocky got to talk about his career and then stage a bar room brawl with the young host of the programme - who broke a finger during the scene but carried on regardless!)

For someone with so many decades of work - he's still working on films now! - it's not surprising that he was older and portlier than in the days he doubled as Steed, but it's great to see him and he was very recognisable as Mitchell from "Escape in Time", especially when he smiled and looked years younger as a result Smile
_________________
Last watched: The Man in the Mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that about Rocky, Franky! Very Happy I've just done a bit of Googling. Good to see he's still out there working. He is still recognisable from Escape in Time--the eyes are very distinctive. Smile

Rocky, of course, played the Cybernaut in Last of the Cybernauts, and ended up tumbling down that flight of stairs on a late evening when an exhausted Gareth mistimed a blow and actually hit him. Gareth was just sick about it, but Rocky came through it all right. I believe he actually used to double for Gareth as well--on his website, he lists "All of The New Avengers" in his credits, so I think he might have actually doubled for both of them when needed, which I can see happening--in stunt world, it doesn't matter if the two actors had completely different builds, so long as they're both in the six foot range and have dark hair, they make it work. Wink

Did Rocky mention any of his Avengers work when he was interviewed?
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4515
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Thanks for posting that about Rocky, Franky! Very Happy I've just done a bit of Googling. Good to see he's still out there working. He is still recognisable from Escape in Time--the eyes are very distinctive. Smile

Rocky, of course, played the Cybernaut in Last of the Cybernauts, and ended up tumbling down that flight of stairs on a late evening when an exhausted Gareth mistimed a blow and actually hit him. Gareth was just sick about it, but Rocky came through it all right. I believe he actually used to double for Gareth as well--on his website, he lists "All of The New Avengers" in his credits, so I think he might have actually doubled for both of them when needed, which I can see happening--in stunt world, it doesn't matter if the two actors had completely different builds, so long as they're both in the six foot range and have dark hair, they make it work. Wink

Did Rocky mention any of his Avengers work when he was interviewed?


great career...I'm sure he has many interesting tales...to share...and maybe one day, he will..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4214
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Thanks for posting that about Rocky, Franky! Very Happy I've just done a bit of Googling. Good to see he's still out there working. He is still recognisable from Escape in Time--the eyes are very distinctive. Smile

Rocky, of course, played the Cybernaut in Last of the Cybernauts, and ended up tumbling down that flight of stairs on a late evening when an exhausted Gareth mistimed a blow and actually hit him. Gareth was just sick about it, but Rocky came through it all right. I believe he actually used to double for Gareth as well--on his website, he lists "All of The New Avengers" in his credits, so I think he might have actually doubled for both of them when needed, which I can see happening--in stunt world, it doesn't matter if the two actors had completely different builds, so long as they're both in the six foot range and have dark hair, they make it work. Wink

Did Rocky mention any of his Avengers work when he was interviewed?
I can't remember but it was a very short interview so I don't think so (maybe just in a list of shows/films) - stuff like Bond always gets the main attention, maybe the repeats will eventually include a "director's cut" and we'll hear about all his shows; it seems to be on the "Dave" comedy channel on rotation every few months.

Interesting to hear about the hit from Gareth. All part of the job for stunters - I recall some of those who worked on 60s BBC shows complaining how the actors when tired or under-rehearsed (or just over-enthusiastic) would take lumps out of the stunt guys with swords etc...

Rocky took hits from a good few bottles, stools/chairs, and a leap though a window just on that Russell Howard show, so at his age he's a thoroughly good sport.
_________________
Last watched: The Man in the Mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dandy Forsdyke
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 5281
Location: Camberwick Green

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise it was on Dave. I suffered the pain of Russell Howard on BBC iPlayer waiting for Rocky's interview. Laughing
_________________

THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
I can't remember but it was a very short interview so I don't think so (maybe just in a list of shows/films) - stuff like Bond always gets the main attention, maybe the repeats will eventually include a "director's cut" and we'll hear about all his shows; it seems to be on the "Dave" comedy channel on rotation every few months.

Interesting to hear about the hit from Gareth. All part of the job for stunters - I recall some of those who worked on 60s BBC shows complaining how the actors when tired or under-rehearsed (or just over-enthusiastic) would take lumps out of the stunt guys with swords etc...

Rocky took hits from a good few bottles, stools/chairs, and a leap though a window just on that Russell Howard show, so at his age he's a thoroughly good sport.


Ah, yes, if there's a Bond link, they usually highlight that, and so many people who worked on the Avengers did something on Bond as well.

Both Gareth and Joanna recounted the hit (Purdey was in the scene as well, of course, though she doesn't tangle with the Cybernaut as much as Gambit does). I think fatigue was a factor more often than not. When Honor took out Jackie Pallo, it was in similar circumstances--late at night, after multiple takes, when exhaustion had set in. Joanna actually kicked one of the stuntmen once, too, hard enough that she hurt her foot. The stuntpeople usually shake it off, but all three of them felt pretty terrible about it, even though it was always an accident. Really, it's a miracle that there weren't more accidents than there were considering that the safety precautions were next to nil.
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4214
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As no-one seems to have uploaded Rocky's interview (only the fight scene where Howard breaks his finger), there's this one instead!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1-mhcVkAgo
_________________
Last watched: The Man in the Mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
As no-one seems to have uploaded Rocky's interview (only the fight scene where Howard breaks his finger), there's this one instead!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1-mhcVkAgo


Thanks, Franky. That was a nice little snippet. Smile
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4515
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
I didn't realise it was on Dave. I suffered the pain of Russell Howard on BBC iPlayer waiting for Rocky's interview. Laughing


I've read that Howard isn't held in the highest regard in some circles in the UK.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4214
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the subjective nature of comedy. For every comic, I've met someone who disliked her or him.

Even Billy Connolly!
_________________
Last watched: The Man in the Mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4515
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
That's the subjective nature of comedy. For every comic, I've met someone who disliked her or him.

Even Billy Connolly!


WELL...he does take some time to 'like' ..if that's possible..lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4214
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to hit record just after Rocky introduced himself on tonight's repeat of Russell Howard's show, so if I can manage to convert it, I could upload it to a well-known video site. Britain's oldest stunt man, 50 years in the business, and a clip of him setting himself on fire...
_________________
Last watched: The Man in the Mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1683

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG that is wild! this i have to see! So forgive me but I gather Rocky was a stunt man for the New Avengers or was he on the original? Very Happy
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4214
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was on the original and the New Avengers (TNA). The stuntmen get a page or two here:

http://www.theavengers.tv/forever/stunts-2.htm

He played a face-on role in the second colour episode, "Escape In Time", and was also the double for Patrick Macnee more often than not when he's seen in long shot, getting out of cars etc in many episodes.

He was also the Cybernaut in the New Avengers' "Last of the Cybernauts..?"
_________________
Last watched: The Man in the Mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, Franky! Very Happy If you do manage to upload it, I look forward to seeing it.

I believe that Rocky also doubled for either Gareth or Patrick during TNA, but can't recall which. There's a list of his onscreen roles on Piers site here (you'll have to scroll down a bit).
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14


Last edited by Timeless A-Peel on Tue May 21, 2013 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1683

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw Rocky's website. He is looking pretty good. Looks like he is still as of recently doing stunts.

I love the stunt guys so the more the merrier! In california I know an 88 yo stuntman who was on the show the Wild Wild West and in 400 films. He just retired 4 years ago! Last was doubling Ernest Borgnine.
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4214
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
That's great, Franky! Very Happy If you do manage to upload it, I look forward to seeing it.

I believe that Rocky also doubled for either Steed or Patrick during TNA, but can't recall which. There's a list of his onscreen roles on Piers site here (you'll have to scroll down a bit).


Ah, cool! I didn't spot him in Dirtier By the Dozen.

I set the recorder to capture the repeat later in the night/wee small hours of the morning. My free video conversion software is not great, so please forgive the less-than-broadcast quality. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycavNJ-u4fo

If anyone wants the DVD-quality ISO file, PM me.
_________________
Last watched: The Man in the Mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
Ah, cool! I didn't spot him in Dirtier By the Dozen.

I set the recorder to capture the repeat later in the night/wee small hours of the morning. My free video conversion software is not great, so please forgive the less-than-broadcast quality. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycavNJ-u4fo

If anyone wants the DVD-quality ISO file, PM me.


Thanks, Franky! Very Happy
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4214
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome! I've had a go at fixing the lip-synch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCIQ1mN-fJE
_________________
Last watched: The Man in the Mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1683

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG That was hilarious Franky!!!! Thumbs up!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thank you soooo much! Rocky is quite the character!

So did Russell really break his finger? I couldn't figure out what happened. What a great gag! I think I will try it at home!! LOL!
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The People Behind The Avengers All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com

Free Web Hosting | File Hosting | Photo Gallery | Matrimonial


Powered by PhpBB.BizHat.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com