The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index The Avengers International Fan Forum

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Emma Peel Megaset US Rerelease
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers on DVD/Blu Ray
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Alan
Site Admin


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 2932
Location: The Edge of Avengerland

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lando wrote:
Agreed. Maybe only A&E are allowed the older masters due to the contract, etc.


As I said before, A&E have nothing to do with this new release.
_________________
Alan
--
The Avengers Declassified

Hidden Tiger Books - now available: Avengerworld
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lando
Little Wonder


Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 214

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:
Lando wrote:
Agreed. Maybe only A&E are allowed the older masters due to the contract, etc.


As I said before, A&E have nothing to do with this new release.


Perhaps it is the Cybernauts then?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alan
Site Admin


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 2932
Location: The Edge of Avengerland

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The obvious reason (not Cybernauts - you lost me there...) is that there is no NTSC master material for the restorations and it would have been easier and cheaper for Lionsgate to access the older US masters.

Considering the pricepoint, which is essentially cheap 'n' cheerful, they probably couldn't have used the remasters without cutting profit margins significantly or having to raise the price.
_________________
Alan
--
The Avengers Declassified

Hidden Tiger Books - now available: Avengerworld
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Rodders
The Big Thinker


Joined: 03 Jan 2013
Posts: 1323
Location: Avengerland

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Alan"]
seventeen wrote:

They're probably following David K. Smith's pattern for the season breaks - a theory I disagree with


Yes, I've never liked his season breaks, which fly against the natural six seasons of the show.
_________________
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sam
Have Fingers... Will Type!


Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 461
Location: Gilbert, AZ

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:
Lando wrote:
Agreed. Maybe only A&E are allowed the older masters due to the contract, etc.


As I said before, A&E have nothing to do with this new release.


This comment from the site makes it sound as though they do:

"Today, A&E and their current distributor Lionsgate Entertainment informed retailers that on October 8th they will re-release these 51 episodes on DVD with The Avengers - The Complete Emma Peel Megaset"

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Avengers-Complete-Emma-Peel-Megaset/18758#ixzz314lR1iP3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Alan
Site Admin


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 2932
Location: The Edge of Avengerland

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodders wrote:
Alan wrote:

They're probably following David K. Smith's pattern for the season breaks - a theory I disagree with


Yes, I've never liked his season breaks, which fly against the natural six seasons of the show.


If you look at the production paperwork it's even less 'natural' than even David suggests. Three series, (1 BW + 2 colour) with the break between 2 and 3 some way into the Tara King era.

And no, while I have the utmost respect and admiration for David and his site, I've always disagreed with his way of listing the series breaks.
_________________
Alan
--
The Avengers Declassified

Hidden Tiger Books - now available: Avengerworld
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Alan
Site Admin


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 2932
Location: The Edge of Avengerland

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Alan wrote:
Lando wrote:
Agreed. Maybe only A&E are allowed the older masters due to the contract, etc.


As I said before, A&E have nothing to do with this new release.


This comment from the site makes it sound as though they do:

"Today, A&E and their current distributor Lionsgate Entertainment informed retailers that on October 8th they will re-release these 51 episodes on DVD with The Avengers - The Complete Emma Peel Megaset"

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Avengers-Complete-Emma-Peel-Megaset/18758#ixzz314lR1iP3


That's bizarre. There's no mention of A&E on the packaging, anywhere. However, a quick search does suggest there is a link between the two companies. How odd.
_________________
Alan
--
The Avengers Declassified

Hidden Tiger Books - now available: Avengerworld
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4013
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:
Rodders wrote:
Alan wrote:

They're probably following David K. Smith's pattern for the season breaks - a theory I disagree with


Yes, I've never liked his season breaks, which fly against the natural six seasons of the show.


If you look at the production paperwork it's even less 'natural' than even David suggests. Three series, (1 BW + 2 colour) with the break between 2 and 3 some way into the Tara King era.

And no, while I have the utmost respect and admiration for David and his site, I've always disagreed with his way of listing the series breaks.


Wasn't there a summer transmission break in the UK, between "Who's Who" on 5 May 1967, and "Return of the Cybernauts" on 28 September 1967? That's a fairly standard time between drama seasons back then - nearly 5 months.

In the US the season break was even longer - from May '67 to January '68, and the US then carried right on with the Tara King episodes without a further break.

Seasons tend to be defined by their transmission dates rather than production dates (for instance, Doctor Who often recorded one or two stories for the next season at the end of a previous season, then the crew took a break but there were stories in hand to start the new season off).
_________________
Last watched: Lobster Quadrille.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4170
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
Alan wrote:
Rodders wrote:
Alan wrote:

They're probably following David K. Smith's pattern for the season breaks - a theory I disagree with


Yes, I've never liked his season breaks, which fly against the natural six seasons of the show.


If you look at the production paperwork it's even less 'natural' than even David suggests. Three series, (1 BW + 2 colour) with the break between 2 and 3 some way into the Tara King era.

And no, while I have the utmost respect and admiration for David and his site, I've always disagreed with his way of listing the series breaks.


Wasn't there a summer transmission break in the UK, between "Who's Who" on 5 May 1967, and "Return of the Cybernauts" on 28 September 1967? That's a fairly standard time between drama seasons back then - nearly 5 months.

In the US the season break was even longer - from May '67 to January '68, and the US then carried right on with the Tara King episodes without a further break.

Seasons tend to be defined by their transmission dates rather than production dates (for instance, Doctor Who often recorded one or two stories for the next season at the end of a previous season, then the crew took a break but there were stories in hand to start the new season off).


due to the nature of transmission order in both the UK and U.S., it can get most confusing to the casual fan..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4013
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly makes most sense to repeat them - and sell them - as six seasons (well, the five we have left, plus remnants of season 1). They do hang together well that way. But I do think people noticed the "season gap" in 1967.
_________________
Last watched: Lobster Quadrille.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4170
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
It certainly makes most sense to repeat them - and sell them - as six seasons (well, the five we have left, plus remnants of season 1). They do hang together well that way. But I do think people noticed the "season gap" in 1967.


to hard core fans, it's not so bad...and quite understandable...but to the causal, or 'new' fan, it's down right confusing...and this forum, the show overall, needs 'new' fans as well.....in addition to older fans such as ourselves....i would love to see an stunning new re release of the PEEL mega set..or better yet, the complete avengers on say, blu-ray, etc....region 1, of course.....however, my player can play other regions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lhbizness
How to Succeed... at Posting!


Joined: 01 Feb 2014
Posts: 975

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
It certainly makes most sense to repeat them - and sell them - as six seasons (well, the five we have left, plus remnants of season 1). They do hang together well that way. But I do think people noticed the "season gap" in 1967.


to hard core fans, it's not so bad...and quite understandable...but to the causal, or 'new' fan, it's down right confusing...and this forum, the show overall, needs 'new' fans as well.....in addition to older fans such as ourselves....i would love to see an stunning new re release of the PEEL mega set..or better yet, the complete avengers on say, blu-ray, etc....region 1, of course.....however, my player can play other regions.


Yeah. I got lucky, getting into The Avengers when I did, because I was able to obtain many episodes from Netflix. Now it's really difficult to get ahold of anything except the Peel set, and I feel bad recommending a show to friends when I know they won't be able to easily obtain three out of five seasons (not counting the lost first season). If it was on streaming, there are plenty of people who I KNOW would watch it.

The season breaks as I know them make sense - I didn't know there were other gaps and I've yet to figure out what people mean by 6a or 6b. But they can be marketed in terms of their leading ladies: Cathy, Emma, Tara. But then Season 2 seems odd because half of it is either Venus or King.
_________________
"It's a conflict of science and humanity! Equations, isotherms...I have a dynamic too."

Avengers Episode Reviews: The Undertakers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4170
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lhbizness wrote:
mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
It certainly makes most sense to repeat them - and sell them - as six seasons (well, the five we have left, plus remnants of season 1). They do hang together well that way. But I do think people noticed the "season gap" in 1967.


to hard core fans, it's not so bad...and quite understandable...but to the causal, or 'new' fan, it's down right confusing...and this forum, the show overall, needs 'new' fans as well.....in addition to older fans such as ourselves....i would love to see an stunning new re release of the PEEL mega set..or better yet, the complete avengers on say, blu-ray, etc....region 1, of course.....however, my player can play other regions.


Yeah. I got lucky, getting into The Avengers when I did, because I was able to obtain many episodes from Netflix. Now it's really difficult to get ahold of anything except the Peel set, and I feel bad recommending a show to friends when I know they won't be able to easily obtain three out of five seasons (not counting the lost first season). If it was on streaming, there are plenty of people who I KNOW would watch it.

The season breaks as I know them make sense - I didn't know there were other gaps and I've yet to figure out what people mean by 6a or 6b. But they can be marketed in terms of their leading ladies: Cathy, Emma, Tara. But then Season 2 seems odd because half of it is either Venus or King.


very true. one of my friends complain how hard it was to obtain episodes..as the a & e
material has dried up..and is hard to find...somewhat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4013
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lhbizness wrote:

The season breaks as I know them make sense - I didn't know there were other gaps and I've yet to figure out what people mean by 6a or 6b. But they can be marketed in terms of their leading ladies: Cathy, Emma, Tara. But then Season 2 seems odd because half of it is either Venus or King.
6a are the Tara King episodes made in the production block from "Invasion of the Earthmen" to "Look, Stop Me..." which were essentially the completion of the second Emma Peel colour season 5b (as she was allegedly contracted for 10 episodes (the Oct/Nov 1967 season, following the long break after her first colour season ended in May 67), of which she made 8 then later came back to make Forget-Me-Knot much later. The season 6b is the last 26 episodes of the 1960s show - the remaining Taras.

It's all explained here:
http://www.theavengers.tv/forever/sixorseven.htm
and here:
http://www.theavengers.tv/forever/appendix-a.htm

Emma's season 5a and 5b are explained here:
http://www.theavengers.tv/forever/order-peel.htm

Of course, in America, Emma Peel's B&W episodes are season 1...
_________________
Last watched: Lobster Quadrille.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lhbizness
How to Succeed... at Posting!


Joined: 01 Feb 2014
Posts: 975

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. If they tried marketing that, most consumers would not have any clue what they were doing. When you get around to labeling series with a and b letters, that's when you're getting into a world that only the die-hard fans would particularly care about. I know that series worked differently back then, but it's probably a good marketing ploy to just separate the seasons based on characters.
_________________
"It's a conflict of science and humanity! Equations, isotherms...I have a dynamic too."

Avengers Episode Reviews: The Undertakers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dissolute
The Ministry


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 1423
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all nonsense anyway.

The 'season break' was completely different here in Australia, they held back three of the first half (A Funny Thing, The Joker and Who's Who???) and showed them in October '67 with the second half of the season instead of in June & July.

We see "Doctor Who" taking a mid-season break nowadays and nobody bats an eyelid.

"The Blacklist" takes a mini break every three episodes and nobody would ever suggest that each one is a separate season.
_________________
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4013
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, I doubt the UK or US broadcasters gave two hoots what Australia chose to do, season break-wise.

As to the Doctor Who season breaks, you obviously don't frequent most Who fan forums! It caused a huge stink.

If we're talking these days, then most American shows insert rerun episodes during their actual runs, making new episodes harder to catch amongst the welter of repeats. But then they're near-unwatchable anyway, with commercial breaks after the cold-intro/pre-credits, before the end-credits, and many many times in between.
_________________
Last watched: Lobster Quadrille.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4013
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lhbizness wrote:
Wow. If they tried marketing that, most consumers would not have any clue what they were doing. When you get around to labeling series with a and b letters, that's when you're getting into a world that only the die-hard fans would particularly care about. I know that series worked differently back then, but it's probably a good marketing ploy to just separate the seasons based on characters.
Broadcast seasons are often very different to how series are batched up for home video/DVD sale. I agree with you that buying boxes for Cathy/Emma/Tara/TNA makes more sense (and two seasons instead of one isn't a big stretch for buyers if some go for the whole 8 seasons anyway - they might be more convinced they're getting a bargain!).
_________________
Last watched: Lobster Quadrille.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4170
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
To be fair, I doubt the UK or US broadcasters gave two hoots what Australia chose to do, season break-wise.

As to the Doctor Who season breaks, you obviously don't frequent most Who fan forums! It caused a huge stink.

If we're talking these days, then most American shows insert rerun episodes during their actual runs, making new episodes harder to catch amongst the welter of repeats. But then they're near-unwatchable anyway, with commercial breaks after the cold-intro/pre-credits, before the end-credits, and many many times in between.


amen....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lhbizness
How to Succeed... at Posting!


Joined: 01 Feb 2014
Posts: 975

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
If we're talking these days, then most American shows insert rerun episodes during their actual runs, making new episodes harder to catch amongst the welter of repeats. But then they're near-unwatchable anyway, with commercial breaks after the cold-intro/pre-credits, before the end-credits, and many many times in between.


Most of those shows, when they're packaged, don't take the season breaks into account and claim that these are new seasons. Although, having said that, South Park has started lettering season numbers, which drives me crazy.

Beyond an interest in the production of the series, I'm not entirely certain what's gained by splitting these seasons up weirdly, or trying to claim that this is Season 5a and that's Season 6b. The only one that seems to suffer is Tara, but I'm still not convinced that all the problems of her character can be laid at the door of the episodes not being broadcast in production order.

Not a big fan of contemporary TV in general. At least most American shows have than a few episodes a season with a massive break in between, as in shows like Sherlock.
_________________
"It's a conflict of science and humanity! Equations, isotherms...I have a dynamic too."

Avengers Episode Reviews: The Undertakers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers on DVD/Blu Ray All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com

Free Web Hosting | File Hosting | Photo Gallery | Matrimonial


Powered by PhpBB.BizHat.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com