The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index The Avengers International Fan Forum

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6.13 - Game
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> Episode Reviews - The Avengers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Rate 'Game'
10
50%
 50%  [ 7 ]
9
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
8
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
7
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
6
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
5
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
3
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

Author Message
peabody
Little Wonder


Joined: 16 Oct 2009
Posts: 226
Location: MACS0647-JD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: 6.13 - Game Reply with quote

Discuss, review and rate Game.

Written by Richard Harris
Directed by Robert Fuest
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberrich
Site Admin


Joined: 05 Sep 2008
Posts: 1013
Location: Midlands, U.K.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific episode Exclamation Always in my top 3 Tara episodes (has been my actual fave in the past. My faves change order now and again!). The set pieces portraying the various deadly games are brilliantly staged. The climactic Super Secret Agent featuring Tara in the hourglass is one of the best scenes in The Avenger's history. Very memorable, and very exciting. Visually a stunning episode, with a terrific script and plot to match. 10/10! Rich.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spaceship Dispatcher
The Ministry


Joined: 01 Jan 2014
Posts: 586
Location: Northampton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe one of the best episodes of the Tara King era! It holds together remarkably well for such a wild plot, and the games of the title are both varied and recognisable enough for viewers to relate to what they see. The cast is very strong again with legendary master of the art of playing villains Peter Jeffrey joined by Anthony Newlands and Alex Scott, the latter being one of those actors that you see in episodes of almost all 1960s cult tv adventure shows but who never had the leading role. Visually this episode has the balance about right too, with designs that are bright and colourful without being over the top. And the subject of great design brings us to Linda Thorson's amazing wardrobe for this episode, with several costume changes and every one of them stunning! Some very memorable acting, good set and costume design, a story that is sensible and fun at the same time, plot logic that adds up, and the narrative device of the games themselves all make this a 9/10 episode imo!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lhbizness
How to Succeed... at Posting!


Joined: 01 Feb 2014
Posts: 975

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching this one again, I didn't have terribly strong feelings one way or the other. Peter Jeffrey is always a joy to watch - villain or not - and the deaths are very smartly written. It does have that "one death, two death, three death" sort of structure that happens in both Seasons 5 and 6 and feels a little repetitive. The end game was great, and I do enjoy Steed the Hero. But I didn't find it particularly rivetting as a piece of television, nor did the performances pop for me. The relationships seems just a bit lackadaisical, when they're not strained.

I would like to know, at some point, what people think are the best Season 6 episodes. The ones I've watched recently simply have not moved me.
_________________
"It's a conflict of science and humanity! Equations, isotherms...I have a dynamic too."

Avengers Episode Reviews: The Undertakers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rhonda
Winged Avenger


Joined: 19 Jan 2010
Posts: 676
Location: A town, UK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 from me. Like the camera shots.
_________________
Last Watched : Conspiracy of Silence
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brigadier Q
Nutshell


Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 15
Location: London 1968

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A joy of an episode. I always like Robert Fuest's Directorial offerings and this one is a goody.

Great supporting cast, regulars on top form, wonderful camerawork - what more is there to say? Plus a neat resolution.

I was re-watching this one with my sixteen year old Daughter the other day, she asked if this was what the 'Swinging Sixties' was all about! I replied, her guess was as good as mine.

10 out of 10 out of 10
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4013
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you know what they say, if you can remember the Sixties you weren't really there!
_________________
Last watched: Lobster Quadrille.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brigadier Q
Nutshell


Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 15
Location: London 1968

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole - that is true - I was there, but not at an age to know about all of that stuff!

It's like the late, great John Junkin said: "'The Permissive Society'. When I was too young to know what it was all about, it was all about. Now I know what it's all about, where is it???"

BTW - I see you have Start Point Lighthouse as your Icon - have you visited (And shouldn't I be saying this in the thread for "All Done With Mirrors"?)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4013
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't visited yet, Brigadier, but I intend to! I've been to a few lighthouses over the years (always a nice picturesque addition to a day out), but not that one. I think a viewing of the Tara story in my youth is why I like them - that or the Dr Who story set in one.

When I was writing the chapter on All Done With Mirrors for Rodney's "Anticlockwise" book I did a bit of research about the place (fascinating history) and am rather fond of it - an admirer from afar. But not too afar, so when the weather gets a bit better I'll toddle down there. Smile
_________________
Last watched: Lobster Quadrille.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darren
Site Admin


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 1705
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The location used as the school that Steed and Tara visit to see Professor Witney was in the paper today.

Heath Hall http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/news/9939763/London-super-mansion-Heath-Hall-has-price-cut-by-35m.html
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MikeR
Epic


Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 1073
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gateway has been widened and tidied up (getting rid of some trees) somewhat since Tony McKay took his photograph that appears on the Avengerland site.

All yours for £65 million, or if you that kind of money to spare you could always finance a new series of The Avengers?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1682

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The location used as the school that Steed and Tara visit to see Professor Witney was in the paper today.

Heath Hall http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/news/9939763/London-super-mansion-Heath-Hall-has-price-cut-by-35m.html
Nice find Darren. so the owner bought for 100 million and put 40 million into renovations. hopes to sell for 65 million. only a 75 million loss.
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MikeR
Epic


Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 1073
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an Avengers location that I've never been to. Geoff perhaps this would be a good place to start enquiring about a visit on the Saturday of the Treasure Hunt event.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1682

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeR wrote:
This is an Avengers location that I've never been to. Geoff perhaps this would be a good place to start enquiring about a visit on the Saturday of the Treasure Hunt event.
We can arrive as interested investors.
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mariocki
Have Fingers... Will Type!


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for this year but I'll bear it in mind for future events.
_________________
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1682

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mariocki wrote:
Not for this year but I'll bear it in mind for future events.
Too bad. Perhaps Mike can inquire as an interested buyer. Laughing Then he can let us know, as in his book, what has changed since filming.
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MikeR
Epic


Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 1073
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anti-clockwise wrote:
mariocki wrote:
Not for this year but I'll bear it in mind for future events.
Too bad. Perhaps Mike can inquire as an interested buyer. Laughing Then he can let us know, as in his book, what has changed since filming.


Yes, thatís fine Iíll do that, the only problem I can foresee is the paying part.

Filming at Heath Hall on The Bishops Avenue, Barnet, for the episode Game took place on June 5th 1968, though the only credited cast on location was Garfield Morgan. When Steed and Tara arrive in his vintage Rolls Royce and park in front of the university building in an establishing shot it was Paul Weston as Steed and Cyd Child as Tara. This was only the second day of principal photography on this episode and the second unit under the direction of Robert Fuest was responsible for the filming, later moving on to film at two other locations that day.


Last edited by MikeR on Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1682

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeR wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:
mariocki wrote:
Not for this year but I'll bear it in mind for future events.
Too bad. Perhaps Mike can inquire as an interested buyer. Laughing Then he can let us know, as in his book, what has changed since filming.


Yes, thatís fine Iíll do that, the only problem I can foresee is the paying part.

Filming at Heath Hall on The Bishops Avenues, Barnet, for the episode Game took place on June 5th 1968, though the only credited cast on location was Garfield Morgan. When Steed and Tara arrive in his vintage Rolls Royce and park in front of the university building in an establishing shot it was Paul Weston as Steed and Cyd Child as Tara. This was only the second day of principal photography on this episode and the second unit under the direction of Robert Fuest was responsible for the filming, later moving on to film at two other locations that day.
Laughing Yes good point Mike! And don't forget about paying the butler and maids.

Speaking of money, any idea how much it would have cost to rent a property such as this back in 1968? Which of all the episodes would you guess have incurred the most expense in production cost?
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MikeR
Epic


Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 1073
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anti-clockwise wrote:
MikeR wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:
mariocki wrote:
Not for this year but I'll bear it in mind for future events.
Too bad. Perhaps Mike can inquire as an interested buyer. Laughing Then he can let us know, as in his book, what has changed since filming.


Yes, thatís fine Iíll do that, the only problem I can foresee is the paying part.

Filming at Heath Hall on The Bishops Avenues, Barnet, for the episode Game took place on June 5th 1968, though the only credited cast on location was Garfield Morgan. When Steed and Tara arrive in his vintage Rolls Royce and park in front of the university building in an establishing shot it was Paul Weston as Steed and Cyd Child as Tara. This was only the second day of principal photography on this episode and the second unit under the direction of Robert Fuest was responsible for the filming, later moving on to film at two other locations that day.
Laughing Yes good point Mike! And don't forget about paying the butler and maids.

Speaking of money, any idea how much it would have cost to rent a property such as this back in 1968? Which of all the episodes would you guess have incurred the most expense in production cost?


Margo

Sorry, Iíve no idea what the fee would be to film at some of the large properties around the Elstree/Borehamwood area on private property. I can remember John Hough joining us on the Treasure Hunt event one year when we went to Shenley Lodge and after Chris Bentley had said his bit about what episodes had location footage shot there (The House That Jack Built and The See-Through Man), he asked John for his memories of the place.

John then admitted that he had never used Shenley Lodge while he was with The Avengers as he had come onto the production with the Thorson episodes. However, when he was working on The Champions he did some filming here for the episode The Fanatics and this came about when he was out scouting locations and seeing the building from the road he drove up the driveway and knocked on the door. At the time Shenley Lodge was a Health Farm/Hydro as gyms were called during the sixties.

The owner opened the door and John asked if he could bring a film crew to the property and the owner agreed and they exchanged contact information. However, the owner was on such a high about his property being featured in a TV episode that he actually forgot to ask John what the fee for this would be. Iím pretty certain someone asked John what the standard fee was, but I cannot remember the answer, perhaps Geoff or Andrew Pixley can as they were there on the day.

Using Tony McKayís excellent Avengerland website I have had a look through the episodes for the one with the most location filming on private property and these are my findings.

The episode with the most location footage is Dead Manís Treasure, being shot at 20 different locations of which 5 were on private property.

Coming close to being the winners were Silent Dust and The See-Through Man, which were both filmed at 9 locations, with both using private property on 5 of those.

For me the winner is Return of the Cybernauts, filmed on 9 locations, but with 6 of those being on private property.

However, there is something to take into consideration and that is that the Thorson episodes visit central London far more than the Rigg episodes did and so some of the final season would have also been quite expensive to produce, because of the distance involved and difficulties involved such as the parking of unit vehicles.

The winner here appears to be Take Me to Your Leader with 6 different central London locations, plus footage shot at what was RAF Bovingdon in Hertfordshire.

However, it gets even more complicated as obviously it was more expensive to have the main unit out on location, then the much smaller second unit which could be as small as 4 people, thus, costs would fluctuate.

Other episodes that spring to mind as being expensive to produce are The Town of No Return, two different shooting blacks and partially filmed on location in Norfolk. The Grave-Diggers that had major location filming done on the narrow gauge railway at Stapleford Park, near Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, which was the furthest north that the series was ever shot. The Thorson episode that springs to mind as being expensive involved the second unit travelling to the south coast to Start Point Lighthouse in Devon and Peacehaven in East Sussex to film material for All Done with Mirrors.

In contrast the cheapest episode, possibly Epic, with only 1 piece of location footage done on private property in Aldenham Park, no sets specifically built, no costumes made, hardly any supporting cast and most of the episode shot on the studio lot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1682

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeR wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:
MikeR wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:
mariocki wrote:
Not for this year but I'll bear it in mind for future events.
Too bad. Perhaps Mike can inquire as an interested buyer. Laughing Then he can let us know, as in his book, what has changed since filming.


Yes, thatís fine Iíll do that, the only problem I can foresee is the paying part.

Filming at Heath Hall on The Bishops Avenues, Barnet, for the episode Game took place on June 5th 1968, though the only credited cast on location was Garfield Morgan. When Steed and Tara arrive in his vintage Rolls Royce and park in front of the university building in an establishing shot it was Paul Weston as Steed and Cyd Child as Tara. This was only the second day of principal photography on this episode and the second unit under the direction of Robert Fuest was responsible for the filming, later moving on to film at two other locations that day.
Laughing Yes good point Mike! And don't forget about paying the butler and maids.

Speaking of money, any idea how much it would have cost to rent a property such as this back in 1968? Which of all the episodes would you guess have incurred the most expense in production cost?


Margo

Sorry, Iíve no idea what the fee would be to film at some of the large properties around the Elstree/Borehamwood area on private property. I can remember John Hough joining us on the Treasure Hunt event one year when we went to Shenley Lodge and after Chris Bentley had said his bit about what episodes had location footage shot there (The House That Jack Built and The See-Through Man), he asked John for his memories of the place.

John then admitted that he had never used Shenley Lodge while he was with The Avengers as he had come onto the production with the Thorson episodes. However, when he was working on The Champions he did some filming here for the episode The Fanatics and this came about when he was out scouting locations and seeing the building from the road he drove up the driveway and knocked on the door. At the time Shenley Lodge was a Health Farm/Hydro as gyms were called during the sixties.

The owner opened the door and John asked if he could bring a film crew to the property and the owner agreed and they exchanged contact information. However, the owner was on such a high about his property being featured in a TV episode that he actually forgot to ask John what the fee for this would be. Iím pretty certain someone asked John what the standard fee was, but I cannot remember the answer, perhaps Geoff or Andrew Pixley can as they were there on the day.

Using Tony McKayís excellent Avengerland website I have had a look through the episodes for the one with the most location filming on private property and these are my findings.

The episode with the most location footage is Dead Manís Treasure, being shot at 20 different locations of which 5 were on private property.

Coming close to being the winners were Silent Dust and The See-Through Man, which were both filmed at 9 locations, with both using private property on 5 of those.

For me the winner is Return of the Cybernauts, filmed on 9 locations, but with 6 of those being on private property.

However, there is something to take into consideration and that is that the Thorson episodes visit central London far more than the Rigg episodes did and so some of the final season would have also been quite expensive to produce, because of the distance involved and difficulties involved such as the parking of unit vehicles.

The winner here appears to be Take Me to Your Leader with 6 different central London locations, plus footage shot at what was RAF Bovingdon in Hertfordshire.

However, it gets even more complicated as obviously it was more expensive to have the main unit out on location, then the much smaller second unit which could be as small as 4 people, thus, costs would fluctuate.

Other episodes that spring to mind as being expensive to produce are The Town of No Return, two different shooting blacks and partially filmed on location in Norfolk. The Grave-Diggers that had major location filming done on the narrow gauge railway at Stapleford Park, near Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, which was the furthest north that the series was ever shot. The Thorson episode that springs to mind as being expensive involved the second unit travelling to the south coast to Start Point Lighthouse in Devon and Peacehaven in East Sussex to film material for All Done with Mirrors.

In contrast the cheapest episode, possibly Epic, with only 1 piece of location footage done on private property in Aldenham Park, no sets specifically built, no costumes made, hardly any supporting cast and most of the episode shot on the studio lot.
Oh that was most kind of you to research that for me Mike! The more I have read your book and read your posts, the more it becomes very real, how much work and money went into each episode. When the average person sees the finished product, it is not obvious what the cost is or the production efforts were.

It is funny that Epic was the most economical. It was the most inexpensive and a fan favorite. And getting Peter Wyngarde to play 11 roles Laughing saved on the payment to the actors. I hope he was well paid for such an outstanding performance. It really does not look inexpensive at all. The whole illusion effect made it look more grandiose than it really was. It really was both a brilliant idea and economical at the same time.
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> Episode Reviews - The Avengers All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com

Free Web Hosting | File Hosting | Photo Gallery | Matrimonial


Powered by PhpBB.BizHat.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com