The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index The Avengers International Fan Forum

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tara's Flat
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
highflyingbird
White Dwarf


Joined: 09 Dec 2013
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Tara's Flat Reply with quote

I've always found Tara's flat to be a curious design. There are two doors, both of which seem to lead out into some sort of passageway/landing area, despite being on opposite sides. Why have the high door, and the staircase/fireman's pole, at all, since their only function is as an entrance to the flat, when there's a perfectly serviceable entrance already at ground level? Has the designer of this set ever explained his/her choices? Or does anyone know any real rooms that are actually like this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1683

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought was-great for stunt work and Ray Austin!
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ischtar
Winged Avenger


Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 649

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've always found Tara's flat to be a curious design. There are two doors, both of which seem to lead out into some sort of passageway/landing area, despite being on opposite sides. Why have the high door, and the staircase/fireman's pole, at all, since their only function is as an entrance to the flat, when there's a perfectly serviceable entrance already at ground level? Has the designer of this set ever explained his/her choices? Or does anyone know any real rooms that are actually like this?


A second entrance is good for an escape and Steed had two entrances too in his fourth flat at 3 Stable Mews.
Tara's second entrance leads to a yard, maybe there was a parking area for her Jaguar.


Last edited by ischtar on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rodders
The Big Thinker


Joined: 03 Jan 2013
Posts: 1323
Location: Avengerland

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tara's Flat Reply with quote

highflyingbird wrote:
I've always found Tara's flat to be a curious design. There are two doors, both of which seem to lead out into some sort of passageway/landing area, despite being on opposite sides. Why have the high door, and the staircase/fireman's pole, at all, since their only function is as an entrance to the flat, when there's a perfectly serviceable entrance already at ground level? Has the designer of this set ever explained his/her choices? Or does anyone know any real rooms that are actually like this?


I don't think realism is really the point. This is what I wrote about the apartment last year:

Our first glimpse of Tara King’s apartment reveals a set designed for action, from its two separate entrances, its ‘frilly’ white twisting staircase with room to hide underneath, to a fireman’s pole one just knows will be employed on a regular basis. It resembles an indoor adventure playground.

In addition, there is an eclectic collection of aesthetic objects: a pair of spectacle-shaped mirrors, a penny farthing attached to the wall, a post box (drinks cabinet), some bizarre telephones, loud floral curtains with matching sofa, psychedelic stag heads mounted on a pink background, and a collection of daggers. We can already guess that some of these will become ‘active’ props in future episodes. (These accessories would be playfully altered as the season went on, as is the case in Have Guns – Will Haggle with the bizarre, ugly, porcelain heads bearing Tara’s wigs.) Its owner will be less cool and refined than Emma Peel, but younger and funkier, perhaps.
_________________
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dissolute
The Ministry


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 1487
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to live in a flat with back stairs for the milkman, laundry and the dustbins. The milk was left in a hatch which opened on the other side into the kitchen.
_________________
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Charlie Parker
Little Wonder


Joined: 08 Sep 2008
Posts: 181

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it just good design to have more then one entrance to a flat in case of fire? I suspect one door, as has been noted, leads to the Garage/Laundry services and the other is a social entrance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4202
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Tara's Flat Reply with quote

Rodders wrote:
highflyingbird wrote:
I've always found Tara's flat to be a curious design. There are two doors, both of which seem to lead out into some sort of passageway/landing area, despite being on opposite sides. Why have the high door, and the staircase/fireman's pole, at all, since their only function is as an entrance to the flat, when there's a perfectly serviceable entrance already at ground level? Has the designer of this set ever explained his/her choices? Or does anyone know any real rooms that are actually like this?


I don't think realism is really the point. This is what I wrote about the apartment last year:

Our first glimpse of Tara King’s apartment reveals a set designed for action, from its two separate entrances, its ‘frilly’ white twisting staircase with room to hide underneath, to a fireman’s pole one just knows will be employed on a regular basis. It resembles an indoor adventure playground.

In addition, there is an eclectic collection of aesthetic objects: a pair of spectacle-shaped mirrors, a penny farthing attached to the wall, a post box (drinks cabinet), some bizarre telephones, loud floral curtains with matching sofa, psychedelic stag heads mounted on a pink background, and a collection of daggers. We can already guess that some of these will become ‘active’ props in future episodes. (These accessories would be playfully altered as the season went on, as is the case in Have Guns – Will Haggle with the bizarre, ugly, porcelain heads bearing Tara’s wigs.) Its owner will be less cool and refined than Emma Peel, but younger and funkier, perhaps.


good points...it was different than Emma's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Johnny O
Have Fingers... Will Type!


Joined: 09 Sep 2008
Posts: 334

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've written before in other threads that Tara's flat defies close scrutiny and is best treated as a cool space that didn't really exist.

Some quirks are that there appears to be no kitchen as the only time we see Tara performing any sort of culinary feat, she does so in her living room. Best place to ice a wedding cake.

Doesn't matter which window she (or visitors) look out of on which side of the building, they always have the same street view.

The lower door sometimes leads to an area Tara uses for storage or even a bedroom, as it's where she heads to retrieve her suitcases. Other times, it leads to a public area where callers have direct access to the door.

The view from the miracle windows always shows Tara's flat to be at the top of the building. Except when Mother gets lost in the fog. Unless he has a truly incredible vehicle that drives upstairs. He just might.

Everything in Tara's apartment is also remarkably resilient. Every single piece of china can be smashed to pieces one week and remarkably be totally intact seven days later. Purdey shopped at the same miracle store when choosing her furnishings and knick knacks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4019
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny O wrote:
I've written before in other threads that Tara's flat defies close scrutiny and is best treated as a cool space that didn't really exist.

Some quirks are that there appears to be no kitchen as the only time we see Tara performing any sort of culinary feat, she does so in her living room. Best place to ice a wedding cake.
Many modern London "yuppie" flats don't have a kitchen, as they assume the Bright Young Things either Eat Out or Order In. And I can't see Tara being tied to the kitchen stove whatever her deluded critics claim.

I liked the model train that ran outside Tara's window.

The corridor next to the door by the swords was meant o be on the ground floor as far as I can tell. The back door up the "pole" led out on to a roof area as seen in "Legacy of Death" - it all makes more sense than Steed's flat with its "nursery door" onto the street and impossible back staircase.
_________________
Last watched: The Man in the Mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rodders
The Big Thinker


Joined: 03 Jan 2013
Posts: 1323
Location: Avengerland

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that of the five apartments seen in The Avengers on film - six if you count Emma's remodelled one mid-Season 5 - Tara's is the most interesting. It is an adventure waiting to happen.
_________________
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberrich
Site Admin


Joined: 05 Sep 2008
Posts: 1033
Location: Midlands, U.K.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tara's is simply the best apartment of all The Avengers apartments. In fact the best apartment seen in ANY TV series. Period. I especially love the fireman's pole enabling her to answer the phone quickly if she enters at the upper door. Visually stunning, and a set that sums up the colourful 1960's perfectly. Cool The set also created some wonderful suspenseful moments, in particular the exciting finale in Countless clues. Rich.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4202
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberrich wrote:
Tara's is simply the best apartment of all The Avengers apartments. In fact the best apartment seen in ANY TV series. Period. I especially love the fireman's pole enabling her to answer the phone quickly if she enters at the upper door. Visually stunning, and a set that sums up the colourful 1960's perfectly. Cool The set also created some wonderful suspenseful moments, in particular the exciting finale in Countless clues. Rich.


well stated...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shaunodan
Have Fingers... Will Type!


Joined: 04 Jan 2014
Posts: 396

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite like Purdey's apartment too..basement and of course her ballet barre to keep Purdey in terrific shape ! Tara's Firemans Pole... what better tool to keep her in shape if used for some Pole Dancing...Avengers way ahead of their time Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TrueIndigo
Thingumajig


Joined: 28 Aug 2015
Posts: 68
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always fascinated by Tara's cluttered flat, there's so much going on! As a seven-year-old in 1968 I was quite fond of the impressive copper/brass vintage car on the (sewing machine?) table next to the stairs - what a great toy! The confusing number of period telephones was fun if you didn't know which one was ringing, and the penny farthing is surely one of the best wall decorations ever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rodders
The Big Thinker


Joined: 03 Jan 2013
Posts: 1323
Location: Avengerland

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a wonderful set, in a season of remarkable, surreal sets.
_________________
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TrueIndigo
Thingumajig


Joined: 28 Aug 2015
Posts: 68
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any known significance to the large letters "O" and "P" on the wall by the stairs? Or for the number "21" next to it? I wondered if that number might be Linda Thorson's age, but she would have been 20 when filming for the series first started. Perhaps it's all just random...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rodders
The Big Thinker


Joined: 03 Jan 2013
Posts: 1323
Location: Avengerland

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was 21 when the season was broadcast, so why not? Sounds likely to me.
_________________
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4202
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dissolute wrote:
I used to live in a flat with back stairs for the milkman, laundry and the dustbins. The milk was left in a hatch which opened on the other side into the kitchen.


in the states, delivering milk, or being a milkman, is a blast from the past. I remember them from my past....mid 1950's...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4019
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueIndigo wrote:
Is there any known significance to the large letters "O" and "P" on the wall by the stairs? Or for the number "21" next to it? I wondered if that number might be Linda Thorson's age, but she would have been 20 when filming for the series first started. Perhaps it's all just random...
"21 means "key of the door" in Bingo, as it was the age of majority when kids became adults and were allowed to own their own house key. Maybe it represents Tara owning her own flat Very Happy

No idea about "O" and "P". Perhaps the "P" is for Patrick...
_________________
Last watched: The Man in the Mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TrueIndigo
Thingumajig


Joined: 28 Aug 2015
Posts: 68
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We must also include the fireplace wall (with the penny-farthing above it) which also has gilt letters and numbers: to the left of the exterior (hall way) lilac-coloured door is "TK" (Tara King) and to the right of it is "NO" (I don't know what that might be for, if anything), followed by "22" in exactly the same style as the "21" by the stairs (pink with numbers in gold within a circle). It's always interesting to wonder if these things might contain hidden meanings (it's a secret agent show, after all) or possibly in-jokes by the film makers. Using your idea Franky, I see that 22 in Bingo nicknames is "Two little ducks" -- Tara and Steed?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers on Television All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com

Free Web Hosting | File Hosting | Photo Gallery | Matrimonial


Powered by PhpBB.BizHat.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com