The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index The Avengers International Fan Forum

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the movie.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers Spun-Off
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4200
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeR wrote:
why bother wrote:
Never ever rule anything out. The top people are always changing. I've had shows were I've been booked by one person , a few weeks later when I've gone to do the gig that persons no longer there and somebody else is in charge.
So there is always a chance. Films Godzilla has already been quoted, but also look at Buffy the Vampire slayer and Stargate, both were medioca films, both spawned incredibly successful TV series. So there is always the chance.
Now wheather they should do it or not is a completely differnt question.


Hi John

You have a very valid point there as both Buffy and SG1 movies were okay, but not brilliant, but as you pointed out, they both led to very successful (and incidentally ones I regularly watched) TV series.


the tv versions..were ok...not exactly must SEE TV..but not a waste of time, either
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
why bother
Thingumajig


Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 65
Location: Sussex

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mousemeat wrote:
the tv versions..were ok...not exactly must SEE TV..but not a waste of time, either


Now there we open a whole new can of worms, commercial success over whether you personally like it. For me point in case Mission Impossible films commercially very successful, but from my point of view not really Mission Impossible.
_________________
Little Storping Museum. The Online museum of Television. www.murdersville.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1683

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why bother wrote:
mousemeat wrote:
the tv versions..were ok...not exactly must SEE TV..but not a waste of time, either


Now there we open a whole new can of worms, commercial success over whether you personally like it. For me point in case Mission Impossible films commercially very successful, but from my point of view not really Mission Impossible.
how true. Hollywood has a way of distorting the very best shows by putting them on the big screen. They take the utter essence out of the series every time. Can't wait till MFU. no doubt lots of gadgets and fancy special effects but will not look anything like MFU. that's y guess as history repeats itself
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
why bother
Thingumajig


Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 65
Location: Sussex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anti-clockwise wrote:
why bother wrote:
mousemeat wrote:
the tv versions..were ok...not exactly must SEE TV..but not a waste of time, either


Now there we open a whole new can of worms, commercial success over whether you personally like it. For me point in case Mission Impossible films commercially very successful, but from my point of view not really Mission Impossible.
how true. Hollywood has a way of distorting the very best shows by putting them on the big screen. They take the utter essence out of the series every time. Can't wait till MFU. no doubt lots of gadgets and fancy special effects but will not look anything like MFU. that's y guess as history repeats itself


Ah the UNCLE movie, I'm hopeful for it, having met and spoken to many involved with it. UNCLE My other great love, for me the Avengers is the greatest ever British TV series , while UNCLE is the greatest ever American show, I love them both equally , though if push came to shove being British I'd have to pick Avengers.
_________________
Little Storping Museum. The Online museum of Television. www.murdersville.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1683

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why bother wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:
why bother wrote:
mousemeat wrote:
the tv versions..were ok...not exactly must SEE TV..but not a waste of time, either


Now there we open a whole new can of worms, commercial success over whether you personally like it. For me point in case Mission Impossible films commercially very successful, but from my point of view not really Mission Impossible.
how true. Hollywood has a way of distorting the very best shows by putting them on the big screen. They take the utter essence out of the series every time. Can't wait till MFU. no doubt lots of gadgets and fancy special effects but will not look anything like MFU. that's y guess as history repeats itself


Ah the UNCLE movie, I'm hopeful for it, having met and spoken to many involved with it. UNCLE My other great love, for me the Avengers is the greatest ever British TV series , while UNCLE is the greatest ever American show, I love them both equally , though if push came to shove being British I'd have to pick Avengers.
oh please do tell. Who have you met and how is the progress on it? From what you hear do you think it will be authentic to original UNCLE?
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jaz
Have Fingers... Will Type!


Joined: 23 Sep 2008
Posts: 394

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph Fiennes was awful as Steed (pretentious as well with the way he insists his name is pronounced! He'll always be Ralf to me with the oversized bowler who can't act for toffee!) - controversial I know but that's what I think.
_________________


I ask the most stupid questions!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4019
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't someone at the time describe Ralphie as looking like a younger brother who had borrowed his elder brother's oversized bowler? And he was also compared unfavourably to Stan Laurel.
_________________
Last watched: The Man in the Mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4200
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
Didn't someone at the time describe Ralphie as looking like a younger brother who had borrowed his elder brother's oversized bowler? And he was also compared unfavourably to Stan Laurel.


but at least Laurel could act....and knew comic timings....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
why bother
Thingumajig


Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 65
Location: Sussex

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anti-clockwise wrote:
why bother wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:
why bother wrote:
mousemeat wrote:
the tv versions..were ok...not exactly must SEE TV..but not a waste of time, either


Now there we open a whole new can of worms, commercial success over whether you personally like it. For me point in case Mission Impossible films commercially very successful, but from my point of view not really Mission Impossible.
how true. Hollywood has a way of distorting the very best shows by putting them on the big screen. They take the utter essence out of the series every time. Can't wait till MFU. no doubt lots of gadgets and fancy special effects but will not look anything like MFU. that's y guess as history repeats itself


Ah the UNCLE movie, I'm hopeful for it, having met and spoken to many involved with it. UNCLE My other great love, for me the Avengers is the greatest ever British TV series , while UNCLE is the greatest ever American show, I love them both equally , though if push came to shove being British I'd have to pick Avengers.
oh please do tell. Who have you met and how is the progress on it? From what you hear do you think it will be authentic to original UNCLE?


Well I did meet one of the lead actors and had a nice chat with him for about an hour over a lunch brake at Levesden one day but I knew quite a few of the AD's and and costume department people. (Pet gripe I seemed to spend most of the UNCLE's production period up at that studio on every other film going except that, gutted !!! Did get to see several of the sets and props and stuff laying around up there though didn't get any souveneirs Sad )

From what I've seen and heard from them I think it will be OK, but you can never tell.
_________________
Little Storping Museum. The Online museum of Television. www.murdersville.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
why bother
Thingumajig


Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 65
Location: Sussex

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
Didn't someone at the time describe Ralphie as looking like a younger brother who had borrowed his elder brother's oversized bowler? And he was also compared unfavourably to Stan Laurel.


but at least Laurel could act....and knew comic timings....


Worked on Invisible Woman with him a couple of years back, wasn't overly impressed by him as a director either. I spent much of the time, while on that job, making comments about how I hadn't forgiven him for the Avengers movie lol.
_________________
Little Storping Museum. The Online museum of Television. www.murdersville.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1683

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why bother wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:
why bother wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:
why bother wrote:
mousemeat wrote:
the tv versions..were ok...not exactly must SEE TV..but not a waste of time, either


Now there we open a whole new can of worms, commercial success over whether you personally like it. For me point in case Mission Impossible films commercially very successful, but from my point of view not really Mission Impossible.
how true. Hollywood has a way of distorting the very best shows by putting them on the big screen. They take the utter essence out of the series every time. Can't wait till MFU. no doubt lots of gadgets and fancy special effects but will not look anything like MFU. that's y guess as history repeats itself


Ah the UNCLE movie, I'm hopeful for it, having met and spoken to many involved with it. UNCLE My other great love, for me the Avengers is the greatest ever British TV series , while UNCLE is the greatest ever American show, I love them both equally , though if push came to shove being British I'd have to pick Avengers.
oh please do tell. Who have you met and how is the progress on it? From what you hear do you think it will be authentic to original UNCLE?


Well I did meet one of the lead actors and had a nice chat with him for about an hour over a lunch brake at Levesden one day but I knew quite a few of the AD's and and costume department people. (Pet gripe I seemed to spend most of the UNCLE's production period up at that studio on every other film going except that, gutted !!! Did get to see several of the sets and props and stuff laying around up there though didn't get any souveneirs Sad )

From what I've seen and heard from them I think it will be OK, but you can never tell.
well thanks for the inside scoop. very cool.
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jaz
Have Fingers... Will Type!


Joined: 23 Sep 2008
Posts: 394

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought that anyone who says they like this movie is either trying to be uber cool or an Avengers marytr. Perhaps a longer cut might make more sense to the storyline but it was plain and simply awful. There was nothing good about this movie and it's definitely not something to celebrate with other parts of the Avengers history.
_________________


I ask the most stupid questions!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darren
Site Admin


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 1709
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, although I'd like to see the original cut (especially with Michael Kamen's rejected temp score), the issues are far deeper than plotting. When your villain tries to kill the suppose heroine who he is infatuated with giant flying bees but wants to keep her in a nightmare, there's something wrong somewhere. I've always felt that there are loads of things about the film that work in isolation but as a whole they fail. I think the whole concept of transplanting a world (Avengersland) designed for budget television to the big screen and then adding disaster movie aspects was doomed from the off. If there is a major disaster element, you have to care about the world it's happening in. No one lives in Avengersland so why should we care.

Better stop there as I could get endlessly picky.Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4019
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the worst aspects of the movie was that Dave Rogers's involvement in advising and reporting on it, with the subsequent poor critical reaction, seemed to have destroyed the enthusiasm of Dave for The Avengers, leading to the near-instantaneous end of magazines like On Target and Stay Tuned.
_________________
Last watched: The Man in the Mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Andrew Pixley
Have Fingers... Will Type!


Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 419

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frank Smile

Frankymole wrote:
One of the worst aspects of the movie was that Dave Rogers's involvement in advising and reporting on it, with the subsequent poor critical reaction, seemed to have destroyed the enthusiasm of Dave for The Avengers, leading to the near-instantaneous end of magazines like On Target and Stay Tuned.


Dave's a lovely man who's helped me immensely over the year. And it was very sad that along the way his enthusiasm for this amazing show took a few knocks in various ways. I think the movie was only one blow which he had over the years. A great shame. What Dave achieved regarding both "The Avengers" and many other shows in the 1980s was quite amazing and massively exciting!

All the best

Andrew
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberrich
Site Admin


Joined: 05 Sep 2008
Posts: 1020
Location: Midlands, U.K.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very sad when Dave Rogers decided to end Stay tuned. I'd subscribed to it since 1985, and I still miss those quarterly magazines turning up in the post. I watched it grow from a nice but obvious fanzine into a very professional magazine. I hadn't heard of his enthusiasm for the show waning. I've always thought the end of the mag was due to falling sales. Does anyone know how Dave is and what he's up to these days Question
Back to the movie. I saw this at the cinema, and I thought it was ok. Not overwhelming, and not quite as faithful to the series as I'd have liked, but still better than a lot of movies based on tv series. The Saint movie for eg. was far worse.
Has anyone ever read the script for The Avengers movie that was written in the 1960s Question I can't remember what year this was written, and who Steed's co-star was (Cathy or Emma?), but I do remember something about giant insects being involved! Hopefully someone can jog my memory. Smile Rich.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Andrew Pixley
Have Fingers... Will Type!


Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 419

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberrich wrote:
I was very sad when Dave Rogers decided to end Stay tuned. I'd subscribed to it since 1985, and I still miss those quarterly magazines turning up in the post. I watched it grow from a nice but obvious fanzine into a very professional magazine. I hadn't heard of his enthusiasm for the show waning. I've always thought the end of the mag was due to falling sales. Does anyone know how Dave is and what he's up to these days Question


Last spoke to Dave in 2003/4 when he wasn't in the best of health; subsequent to that I believe he moved to healthier climbs and from what I last heard is a lot, lot better. But I remember him telling me of various problems he'd had in the 1990s which weren't fun. It's still lovely to see people admiring his work so much! Smile

Quote:
Has anyone ever read the script for The Avengers movie that was written in the 1960s Question I can't remember what year this was written, and who Steed's co-star was (Cathy or Emma?), but I do remember something about giant insects being involved! Hopefully someone can jog my memory. Smile Rich.


Not seen it yet, but I believe that this is covered in Mike's new book. Can't wait to read it! Smile

All the best

Andrew
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MikeR
Epic


Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 1085
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich

The proposed Avengers film scheduled to be filmed in 1964 was called The Pursuit of Evil and the screenplay was by Brian Clemens from a storyline by Brian and Richard Bates. Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots covers this in some detail as I was able to locate paperwork not just from ABC Television, but also from the estate of Louis de Rochemont, who was going to direct it.

I donít know anything about giant insects, could you be thinking of The First Avengers Movie from January 1981?

This was another screenplay by Clemens based on a storyline he assembled with Dennis Spooner, about someone who learns how to control ants, thus making the largest army in the world.

Neither project was made.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberrich
Site Admin


Joined: 05 Sep 2008
Posts: 1020
Location: Midlands, U.K.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeR wrote:
Rich

The proposed Avengers film scheduled to be filmed in 1964
The First Avengers Movie from January 1981 was another screenplay by Clemens about someone who learns how to control ants, thus making the largest army in the world.

Neither project was made.


Thanks Mike for clearing that up. Smile I guess if the first movie script was written in 1964 then it's likely to be Cathy with Steed.
I'd forgotten there was a second script, but the giant insects I hadn't quite forgotten! Laughing
A shame neither movie was made, especially the first as this would certainly have starred Patrick. It would be great to read the scripts though, or even an extract. Looking forward to your book by the way. Smile Rich.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MikeR
Epic


Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 1085
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberrich wrote:
MikeR wrote:
Rich

The proposed Avengers film scheduled to be filmed in 1964
The First Avengers Movie from January 1981 was another screenplay by Clemens about someone who learns how to control ants, thus making the largest army in the world.

Neither project was made.


Thanks Mike for clearing that up. Smile I guess if the first movie script was written in 1964 then it's likely to be Cathy with Steed.
I'd forgotten there was a second script, but the giant insects I hadn't quite forgotten! Laughing
A shame neither movie was made, especially the first as this would certainly have starred Patrick. It would be great to read the scripts though, or even an extract. Looking forward to your book by the way. Smile Rich.


Rich

I hope Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots is a good read. There's quite a bit more with regard to both these film projects.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers Spun-Off All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com

Free Web Hosting | File Hosting | Photo Gallery | Matrimonial


Powered by PhpBB.BizHat.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com