The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index The Avengers International Fan Forum

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linda Thorson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The People Behind The Avengers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dandy Forsdyke
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 5281
Location: Camberwick Green

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She and Pat were given amphetamines - Speed. It's a class B drug in the UK now, but was 'acceptable' then...

This was not new. Amphetamines, as well as barbiturates were habitually given to young film stars in Hollywood to take before bed. Judy Garland is the most famous example. This regular dose of drugs led to addiction and a lifelong struggle, and contributed to her eventual demise.

Linda and Patrick were lucky...



Last edited by Dandy Forsdyke on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Philippa
The Big Thinker


Joined: 07 Sep 2008
Posts: 1381
Location: Amsterdam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^oh wow that's really.......serious. Not something to be taken lightly.
I mean, I know they were a bit more easy going with that sort of stuff back in the 60's, but amphetamines is not just something..
_________________
My Joanna Lumley Fan Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Artanis
Have Fingers... Will Type!


Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 259
Location: USA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was serious. I didn't even know they took those drugs but I'm glad nothing bad happened to them.
_________________
Allen
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
She and Pat were given amphetamines - Speed. It's a class B drug in the UK now, but was 'acceptable' then...

This was not new. Amphetamines, as well as barbiturates were habitually given to young film stars in Hollywood to take before bed. Judy Garland is the most famous example. This regular dose of drugs led to addiction and a lifelong struggle, and contributed to her eventual demise.

Linda and Patrick were lucky...


Patrick and Linda were both on them while they were shootign the show. They used to have wonderful sped up conversations in make-up, because as the hairdresser told Patrick, no one else could talk fast enough to get a word in edgewise. Eventually Patrick recommended some to a friend, who went temporarily blind driving home and had to pull over until her sight returned. I believe that's when he and Linda dumped them. Nice , eh? Confused
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kim
The Ministry


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 1838
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the PURR website there is a video clip of Linda Thorson in the 1977 movie Valentino. I've never seen the movie and sadly, the DVD is only available through Amazon in the UK. From what little I've been able to find on it, the movie wasn't that great, but in the clip, Linda is using an accent that is almost hilarious. To my ears it sounds like a cross between a Southern belle and a Brooklynite.

If anyone has seen it or intends to get the dvd, let me know what you think of the movie. I don't have a multi-regional player so I'm going to have to wait for it to appear in the US, but I'd like to know what you think of it.
_________________
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kim wrote:
On the PURR website there is a video clip of Linda Thorson in the 1977 movie Valentino. I've never seen the movie and sadly, the DVD is only available through Amazon in the UK. From what little I've been able to find on it, the movie wasn't that great, but in the clip, Linda is using an accent that is almost hilarious. To my ears it sounds like a cross between a Southern belle and a Brooklynite.

If anyone has seen it or intends to get the dvd, let me know what you think of the movie. I don't have a multi-regional player so I'm going to have to wait for it to appear in the US, but I'd like to know what you think of it.


I watched that clip, too. Linda's accent was pretty dodgy. If you poke elsewhere around the site, you'll also find Gareth with an American accent (man, that's weird to listen to), and Joanna playing it French. Why you'd go to the trouble of getting British actors and then nixing their accents is beyond me (although they are good, so I don't blame them on that front).

Ironically, I recently acquired some old fanzines, and they were mentioning that Linda was in Valentino, so the clip was good timing on that front. Don't despair about not having a region-free player--you might not need one. Most players are exteremely easy to hack. Mine's a fairly old model, and just this past summer I bought the Life on Mars region 2 DVDs and tested the hack on the player with them. Worked great. All you have to do is find your player's model number and google it with "region-free hack" or some such. Mine consists of pressing two buttons after I put the disc in. Pretty quick and easy (minus the time I spend laughing maniacally and gloating in the general direction of the publishers who use the system to play with the DVD pricing schemes. I'm watching Randall and Hopkirk anyway! Ha ha!)

Ahem.
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kim
The Ministry


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 1838
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
kim wrote:
On the PURR website there is a video clip of Linda Thorson in the 1977 movie Valentino. I've never seen the movie and sadly, the DVD is only available through Amazon in the UK. From what little I've been able to find on it, the movie wasn't that great, but in the clip, Linda is using an accent that is almost hilarious. To my ears it sounds like a cross between a Southern belle and a Brooklynite.

If anyone has seen it or intends to get the dvd, let me know what you think of the movie. I don't have a multi-regional player so I'm going to have to wait for it to appear in the US, but I'd like to know what you think of it.


I watched that clip, too. Linda's accent was pretty dodgy. If you poke elsewhere around the site, you'll also find Gareth with an American accent (man, that's weird to listen to), and Joanna playing it French. Why you'd go to the trouble of getting British actors and then nixing their accents is beyond me (although they are good, so I don't blame them on that front).

Ironically, I recently acquired some old fanzines, and they were mentioning that Linda was in Valentino, so the clip was good timing on that front. Don't despair about not having a region-free player--you might not need one. Most players are exteremely easy to hack. Mine's a fairly old model, and just this past summer I bought the Life on Mars region 2 DVDs and tested the hack on the player with them. Worked great. All you have to do is find your player's model number and google it with "region-free hack" or some such. Mine consists of pressing two buttons after I put the disc in. Pretty quick and easy (minus the time I spend laughing maniacally and gloating in the general direction of the publishers who use the system to play with the DVD pricing schemes. I'm watching Randall and Hopkirk anyway! Ha ha!)

Ahem.


Linda usually does a great American accent, most likely because it's not too far off from a Canadian one, but this time around it sounded like she was trying to combine two accents into one.

Being electronically challanged, I'll have to see if Rob can tell if we can play the dvd on one of our players. He also has a 360 that once it is fixed (something that annoys me to no end when I think of how much I paid for that stupid thing just to have it go out one week after the warranty ran out!) and maybe it can play region two dvds. I don't want to put out the money (will Amazon UK ship to the US?) if I can't play it.

Thanks for the info Timeless. Will have to see if it works.
_________________
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kim wrote:
Linda usually does a great American accent, most likely because it's not too far off from a Canadian one, but this time around it sounded like she was trying to combine two accents into one.

Being electronically challanged, I'll have to see if Rob can tell if we can play the dvd on one of our players. He also has a 360 that once it is fixed (something that annoys me to no end when I think of how much I paid for that stupid thing just to have it go out one week after the warranty ran out!) and maybe it can play region two dvds. I don't want to put out the money (will Amazon UK ship to the US?) if I can't play it.

Thanks for the info Timeless. Will have to see if it works.


Linda admits herself that her Canadian accent is pretty much all gone after her years at RADA, so I always find her American/Canadian sounds rather put on, while Tara sounds just fine to my ear. She also did a good Scots one on Emily of New Moon.

It's pretty easy to google a hack for your player, so give it a shot. Amazon UK ships to Canada (where do you think I got my current batch of Ashes to Ashes/Randall and Hopkirk/The Champions/Adam Adamant et al?), so I can't imagine they wouldn't do the same to the States. Some consoles can play all regions as well, and laptops and computers can be switched between regions a limited number of times before locking. If I can help somehow, let me know! Hacking my player opened me up to a whole new bunch of shows I wouldn't ever have seen otherwise.
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4203
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: how true Reply with quote

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
She and Pat were given amphetamines - Speed. It's a class B drug in the UK now, but was 'acceptable' then...

This was not new. Amphetamines, as well as barbiturates were habitually given to young film stars in Hollywood to take before bed. Judy Garland is the most famous example. This regular dose of drugs led to addiction and a lifelong struggle, and contributed to her eventual demise.

Linda and Patrick were lucky...


Both were very lucky to escape the fate of people like Judy Garland..
(who died in the UK in 1969, totally burned out at 45 )

Durning her tenure at MGM, she took stuff to lose weight, go to sleep,
wake up...chemically, she was a mess....


I remember reading about Linda being sent to a 'fat' farm to lose some weight...and Patrick did seem to pack on a few pounds around the time of the last season.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rodney
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

his new sideburns - which did not suit him - must have added a couple of pounds.
Back to top
Sam
Have Fingers... Will Type!


Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 468
Location: Gilbert, AZ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodney wrote:
his new sideburns - which did not suit him - must have added a couple of pounds.


Never liked sideburns. They were a fad here for a while, in the late 90's, thanks to the Beverly Hills, 90210 crowd.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Artanis
Have Fingers... Will Type!


Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 259
Location: USA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodney wrote:
his new sideburns - which did not suit him - must have added a couple of pounds.


Yes, I don't like those sideburns either. They just don't look right on him.
_________________
Allen
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wince at the sideburns. Patrick winces at the sideburns. And those awful patterned shirts. I've labeled that era "Steed's mid-life crisis." Very Happy
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Philippa
The Big Thinker


Joined: 07 Sep 2008
Posts: 1381
Location: Amsterdam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His sideburns and fashion sense were awful in the Tara King era. Fashion changes, there's nothing to be done about that. But those SIDEBURNS! I mean, what was Patrick thinking Laughing
_________________
My Joanna Lumley Fan Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dandy Forsdyke
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 5281
Location: Camberwick Green

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, everyone had sideburns then. Why they didn't suit Pat was they clashed with his Brylcreme 1950s barnet. The more casual cut he sported in the early-mod 70s would have been far better.
_________________

THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Allard
The Ministry


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 1554
Location: The Netherlands

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philippa wrote:
His sideburns and fashion sense were awful in the Tara King era. Fashion changes, there's nothing to be done about that. But those SIDEBURNS! I mean, what was Patrick thinking Laughing



Thanks to the drugs he wasn't thinking, like quite a few people in the 1970s if you look back at the fashions of those days.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
To be honest, everyone had sideburns then. Why they didn't suit Pat was they clashed with his Brylcreme 1950s barnet. The more casual cut he sported in the early-mod 70s would have been far better.


I didn't like his hair slicked to his head, either. In the earlier seasons he used to let the wave in his hair show up. In the Tara era it's totally flattened with about 10x as much Brylcreme, and the wave is gone. He should have left some for the rest of Britain! Wink
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4019
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
To be honest, everyone had sideburns then. Why they didn't suit Pat was they clashed with his Brylcreme 1950s barnet. The more casual cut he sported in the early-mod 70s would have been far better.


Roger Moore's were something to behold - especially with the "spiv" moustache he had!

In 1969 even Dr Who had sideburns!
_________________
Last watched: The Man in the Mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rodney
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sideburns, fleecy shirts, Tara's curtains and some of her more gaudy outfits really do place the season between the swinging mid 60s and the 'interesting' fashions of the 1970s. I don't think the sideburns suit him because he is such a clean cut character.
Back to top
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4203
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: ugh indeed Reply with quote

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
I wince at the sideburns. Patrick winces at the sideburns. And those awful patterned shirts. I've labeled that era "Steed's mid-life crisis." Very Happy


how true about the sideburns..look outta place on him..but what was worse was his fashion of the era...especially the shirts..eGads!!!


bad fashion lives on forever via dvd,,(LOL)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The People Behind The Avengers All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com

Free Web Hosting | File Hosting | Photo Gallery | Matrimonial


Powered by PhpBB.BizHat.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com