The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index The Avengers International Fan Forum

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Avengers on the Radio
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers Spun-Off
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Alan
Site Admin


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 2932
Location: The Edge of Avengerland

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Details of the Avengers radio series December promotion available here:

http://declassified.theavengers.tv/whats_new.htm
_________________
Alan
--
The Avengers Declassified

Hidden Tiger Books - now available: Avengerworld
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Alan
Site Admin


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 2932
Location: The Edge of Avengerland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avengers Radio Series Downloads Service to End

It is with regret that I have decided to withdraw The Avengers radio downloads service as of January 30th 2013. The service has become time consuming to administrate - a victim of its own success in many ways. To order the complete surviving serials before the deadline, please send a Paypal payment for £10 by 'personal payment owed' to this email address: alan_hayes@blueyonder.co.uk (noting the all important underscore between 'alan' and 'hayes'!). These are all high quality 320KB/s MP3s recorded at CD sampling rates and are mastered from the restored uncompressed audio files produced by myself direct from the off-air reel to reel tapes. When ordering, please give an email address to which you would like the files sent (delivery is by emails containing download links). Links are ordinarily supplied within an hour of payment. It may be possible to extend the service until early February, but this is not guaranteed.
_________________
Alan
--
The Avengers Declassified

Hidden Tiger Books - now available: Avengerworld
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Alan
Site Admin


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 2932
Location: The Edge of Avengerland

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pulled a string or two and have been able to extend the downloads service until February 15th, so if anyone is interested in restored copies of the radio series, this is pretty much the last chance saloon...
_________________
Alan
--
The Avengers Declassified

Hidden Tiger Books - now available: Avengerworld
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to The Joker this evening and, well, if anyone's looking for some Halloween listening, I can recommend it. I find The Joker pretty spooky to watch, but somehow it's even creepier when it's audio only--and they don't even have Peter Jeffrey's deranged looking eyeball peering through walls to rely on! The people behind the radio show really knew what they were doing--I'm continually amazed at their ability to put fresh spins on the episodes.
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Alan
Site Admin


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 2932
Location: The Edge of Avengerland

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the radio downloads look like ending on Friday, so if anyone's interested, you need to drop me a line this week.
_________________
Alan
--
The Avengers Declassified

Hidden Tiger Books - now available: Avengerworld
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 4866
Location: New Scotland, Canada

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resuming my radio series listening after (much) too long (life got in the way again--it's making a real habit of that Wink ), and I'm just stunned at how good it is all over again. It really is, for my money, the best version of the show outside the TV series. You don't need Patrick and Diana--Donald Monat and Diane Appleby are Steed and Emma, unquestionably, even though they've put their own spin on them. I see from Alan's site that the radio series downloads are due to expire by the end of the month. If you haven't got them yet, I really can't recommend them enough. They really are that good.
_________________
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?



Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4013
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they're great fun and obviously made with love - and restored with even more love!

Practically essential for all but the most casual fan Smile
_________________
Last watched: Lobster Quadrille.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rhonda
Winged Avenger


Joined: 19 Jan 2010
Posts: 676
Location: A town, UK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been listening to episode 2 of ‘A Grave Charge’, the bit when Helen recognises a man in a photo and remembers what happened to her. There’s about 30 seconds when the radio signal faded away and then returned, and I wanted to find any of the dialogue that could be heard.

Helen - Radio version :
Audibly “Oh no, no, no, Oh, yes he’s dead, he’s dead on a train. Peter… Peter, Peter my dog and that man, that man, oh no, argh! …I, I remember (thank you). It was late. I had my dog Peter with me on the train. He was travelling with me, but he had to spend the night in the guards van. I was all ready for bed in my sleeping car when I wondered if Peter was all right. He, he could be hungry or knocked his water over, anything. I wanted to be sure and so I went along the corridor to the guards van, to find out. It was dark. The whole train was asleep. I made my way along the dimly lit corridor and into the guards van. There was Peter, so pleased to see me. “Ah now, now Peter there, there’s a good dog. There, I brought you some food. Look here you are, that’s it. I’ve got plenty of water. Good boy”. I knew that there was a coffin at the back of the guards van but the knowledge didn’t scare me. I’m not at all the spooky type. But I was aware of it, all the same. I told myself that dead men can’t hurt you. I put Peter down near his box, patted him “there, there Peter, be a good dog. Go to sleep”, and turned to go”.

Faded bit: “...? … and slowly………….........….?...he was a ? man. We fell against the door of the van, which slid open. I fell against the edge of the opening. The man pushed me hard. I tried to find a grip on the wood. I couldn’t. I remember screaming as I fell out into the wind and the darkness”

And more audibly again “Argh…It was him, the man in this photograph. I’m quite sure of it. This is the man and he is alive”…

(Helen – TV version, for comparison :
“No, No, he’s dead, he’s dead. On a train – my dog – argh. It was late. I had my dog on the train with me. He was travelling in the guards van and I got up and I went to the guards van to feed him….argh! It was him, this man here.”)

I liked finding what was audible in the bit that fades (as I’ve never turned up the volume at that point). Maybe more can be made out? It turns out that Helen’s dialogue at the end of the faded bit turns out to be a very similar description to the scenes of Helen being pushed out of the train in the well-known TV version. Also, I suppose, although it’s Helen talking as it fades away and when it returns we can’t rule out that there was a line from another character in there.

Although I only set out to find what I could in the faded bit, another thing also strikes me now, having been reminded how it was done on TV; the radio version is very suspenseful!
_________________
Last Watched : Conspiracy of Silence
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1682

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhonda wrote:
I’ve been listening to episode 2 of ‘A Grave Charge’, the bit when Helen recognises a man in a photo and remembers what happened to her. There’s about 30 seconds when the radio signal faded away and then returned, and I wanted to find any of the dialogue that could be heard.

Helen - Radio version :
Audibly “Oh no, no, no, Oh, yes he’s dead, he’s dead on a train. Peter… Peter, Peter my dog and that man, that man, oh no, argh! …I, I remember (thank you). It was late. I had my dog Peter with me on the train. He was travelling with me, but he had to spend the night in the guards van. I was all ready for bed in my sleeping car when I wondered if Peter was all right. He, he could be hungry or knocked his water over, anything. I wanted to be sure and so I went along the corridor to the guards van, to find out. It was dark. The whole train was asleep. I made my way along the dimly lit corridor and into the guards van. There was Peter, so pleased to see me. “Ah now, now Peter there, there’s a good dog. There, I brought you some food. Look here you are, that’s it. I’ve got plenty of water. Good boy”. I knew that there was a coffin at the back of the guards van but the knowledge didn’t scare me. I’m not at all the spooky type. But I was aware of it, all the same. I told myself that dead men can’t hurt you. I put Peter down near his box, patted him “there, there Peter, be a good dog. Go to sleep”, and turned to go”.

Faded bit: “...? … and slowly………….........….?...he was a ? man. We fell against the door of the van, which slid open. I fell against the edge of the opening. The man pushed me hard. I tried to find a grip on the wood. I couldn’t. I remember screaming as I fell out into the wind and the darkness”

And more audibly again “Argh…It was him, the man in this photograph. I’m quite sure of it. This is the man and he is alive”…

(Helen – TV version, for comparison :
“No, No, he’s dead, he’s dead. On a train – my dog – argh. It was late. I had my dog on the train with me. He was travelling in the guards van and I got up and I went to the guards van to feed him….argh! It was him, this man here.”)

I liked finding what was audible in the bit that fades (as I’ve never turned up the volume at that point). Maybe more can be made out? It turns out that Helen’s dialogue at the end of the faded bit turns out to be a very similar description to the scenes of Helen being pushed out of the train in the well-known TV version. Also, I suppose, although it’s Helen talking as it fades away and when it returns we can’t rule out that there was a line from another character in there.

Although I only set out to find what I could in the faded bit, another thing also strikes me now, having been reminded how it was done on TV; the radio version is very suspenseful!
I agree the radio version is in many ways more suspenseful or at least very different than the visual. But I thought that the dialogue was exactly the same as the show. Question
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rhonda
Winged Avenger


Joined: 19 Jan 2010
Posts: 676
Location: A town, UK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...
anti-clockwise wrote:
I agree the radio version is in many ways more suspenseful or at least very different than the visual. But I thought that the dialogue was exactly the same as the show. Question

There are definitely differences as the scene with Helen being taken and pushed out of the train has no dialogue in the TV episode. It's very good drama in both!
_________________
Last Watched : Conspiracy of Silence
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1682

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhonda wrote:
...
anti-clockwise wrote:
I agree the radio version is in many ways more suspenseful or at least very different than the visual. But I thought that the dialogue was exactly the same as the show. Question

There are definitely differences as the scene with Helen being taken and pushed out of the train has no dialogue in the TV episode. It's very good drama in both!
Interesting. So they really took a creative license with the radio show.
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4170
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anti-clockwise wrote:
Rhonda wrote:
...
anti-clockwise wrote:
I agree the radio version is in many ways more suspenseful or at least very different than the visual. But I thought that the dialogue was exactly the same as the show. Question

There are definitely differences as the scene with Helen being taken and pushed out of the train has no dialogue in the TV episode. It's very good drama in both!
Interesting. So they really took a creative license with the radio show.


or a 'different direction' so to speak.....evolution ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alan
Site Admin


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 2932
Location: The Edge of Avengerland

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just learned that John Wright, the kind gent who donated the Avengers radio series recordings to myself and Alys in 2002, passed away some years back. I've just put together a little tribute to him at The Avengers Declassified.

http://declassified.theavengers.tv/radio_profile_wright.htm
_________________
Alan
--
The Avengers Declassified

Hidden Tiger Books - now available: Avengerworld
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Rhonda
Winged Avenger


Joined: 19 Jan 2010
Posts: 676
Location: A town, UK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only admiration for John Wright in knowing about these radio serials, and making and keeping his recordings; a good tribute, Alan.
_________________
Last Watched : Conspiracy of Silence
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alan
Site Admin


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 2932
Location: The Edge of Avengerland

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ron. Smile
_________________
Alan
--
The Avengers Declassified

Hidden Tiger Books - now available: Avengerworld
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4013
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the comments on this article says:

"Pat starred in an English radio version of "The Avengers" before it came to TV. I still listen to them on some of the old time radio shows on the net. I think I'll see if I can find one now. I like Bond but I love John Steed. RIP Mr. Macnee. Watching you made some of my days brighter."

Does anyone know more of this? Were some TV episodes' soundtracks adapted for radio broadcast?
_________________
Last watched: Lobster Quadrille.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alan
Site Admin


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 2932
Location: The Edge of Avengerland

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly never heard of a radio version starring Patrick Macnee. At a guess, this is a misremembrance, and Ms Snyder is confusing Macnee's Steed with Donald Monat's.
_________________
Alan
--
The Avengers Declassified

Hidden Tiger Books - now available: Avengerworld
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lhbizness
How to Succeed... at Posting!


Joined: 01 Feb 2014
Posts: 975

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been listening to these - not a huge fan, I admit, but I prefer them to other radio adaptations. I do think they manage to make the Steed/Peel dynamic a lot more like Steed/Tara. He's far more in control and she's not as clever. Monat seems to have taken the style and not added any substance - I can't agree with the others on here that he's made Steed his own or that his interpretation is in any way comparable to Patrick's. Though I guess it is making it his own by making Steed so very supercilious and superior. Appleby's Emma titters far too often.

So, I'm afraid I must disagree: you don't just need the scripts, you need Patrick and Diana. Monat and Appleby are definitely not Steed and Mrs. Peel.
_________________
"It's a conflict of science and humanity! Equations, isotherms...I have a dynamic too."

Avengers Episode Reviews: The Undertakers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Alan
Site Admin


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 2932
Location: The Edge of Avengerland

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donald and Diane are not Patrick and Diana, but to me they are every bit as much Steed and Mrs Peel.

In many cases, particularly in adaptations of colour era episodes, I find the radio adaptations more enjoyable than the television originals.

I agree that Mrs Peel isn't as strong a character in the radio series, and I think this shows what Diana Rigg brought to the role.

However, I think that it should be taken into account that these radio adaptations had more in common with the videotaped era of the original show - in that they were put together on a skimpy budget and produced at speed.

Considering this, it's a testament to the actors and production staff that they remain so entertaining (to me at least) more than forty years later.
_________________
Alan
--
The Avengers Declassified

Hidden Tiger Books - now available: Avengerworld
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lhbizness
How to Succeed... at Posting!


Joined: 01 Feb 2014
Posts: 975

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having listened to more of it, I have very mixed feelings about the radio series. I enjoy some of their dialogue additions that make certain things more explicit than the show. I enjoy some of the small alterations that they've made, and their attempts to be true to the spirit of the show. I find Monat's Steed to be overwhelmingly supercilious and self-important, even occasionally creepy (it's all in the voice, not in the dialogue itself) and some of the changes make Emma less intelligent and less independent. She's made into a sidekick, not a character in her own right. I'm sure this appeals to some - it doesn't appeal to me, unfortunately. Those changes seem to take away something fundamental in their characters.

I do appreciate how well-produced they are, considering everything, but I'm not certain what that has to do with the characterizations?

I've enjoyed these enough to continue to listen to them, but not enough to feel that they're in any way equal to the original show.
_________________
"It's a conflict of science and humanity! Equations, isotherms...I have a dynamic too."

Avengers Episode Reviews: The Undertakers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers Spun-Off All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com

Free Web Hosting | File Hosting | Photo Gallery | Matrimonial


Powered by PhpBB.BizHat.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com