The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index The Avengers International Fan Forum

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cybernaut Prop Mask Sells for 1000!

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MikeR
Epic


Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 1032
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Cybernaut Prop Mask Sells for 1000! Reply with quote

The fibreglass prop Cybernaut mask (lot 275) used in The New Avengers episode Last of the Cybernauts was sold by auction last month by The Prop Store, for 1,000, which appeared to be the reserve price. Very pricey, even for a piece of New Avengers history, but to prove its originality they are providing a Prop Store Certificate of Authenticity.

http://propstore.auctionserver.net/view-auctions/catalog/id/26/lot/3435/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darren
Site Admin


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 1689
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly looks genuine.

Isn't it funny the things that turn up after all this time.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rodders
The Big Thinker


Joined: 03 Jan 2013
Posts: 1322
Location: Avengerland

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing price. I wonder where items such as the giant telephone ended up? What would a baby bouncer be worth now? The mind boggles.
_________________
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MikeR
Epic


Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 1032
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that props from The Avengers could have been retained at Elstree Studios until April 1986, when Thorn EMI sold its Screen Entertainment division, for 110 million to Australian media owner Alan Bond, who in turn sold it a week later to Cannon for 175 million. If props from The Avengers had not been disposed of by then, I think Cannon would have had a complete clear out.

I do know that Brian Clemens owned the prop clapperboard from Epic, for the making of The Destruction of Mrs Emma Peel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rodders
The Big Thinker


Joined: 03 Jan 2013
Posts: 1322
Location: Avengerland

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's often seen in the background of his study during interviews. As people have suggested before, it's a great shame that there isn't an Avengers museum with costumes, props and sets.
_________________
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MikeR
Epic


Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 1032
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodney

John Buss (aka Why Bother) has a huge amount of memorabilia associated with The Avengers, The New Avengers and the feature film, including some costumes, which were on display at The Avengers at 50 event some years ago. If anyone has props from the original series then I would think hes the most obvious person who could have something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Avengerholic
How to Succeed... at Posting!


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 876
Location: Avengerland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeR wrote:
I do know that Brian Clemens owned the prop clapperboard from Epic, for the making of The Destruction of Mrs Emma Peel.


I owned that up until about 8 years ago, it was discovered in the bottom of a box full of old photographic equipment. Sadly I sold off my vast Avengers collection in 2007, the clapperboard went for 2000,00 and Steeds red priority pass for 3000,00.


Last edited by Avengerholic on Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mrs_emma_peel
Little Wonder


Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 244
Location: North-East England

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just shows how extremely popular The Avengers still is - that Epic clapperboard would be a wonderful prop to have.
_________________
James/Mrs Emma Peel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Avengerholic
How to Succeed... at Posting!


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 876
Location: Avengerland

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodders wrote:
Amazing price. I wonder where items such as the giant telephone ended up? What would a baby bouncer be worth now? The mind boggles.


See here re: baby bouncer
https://www.yourprops.com/Baby-Bouncer-Something-Nasty-in-original-movie-prop-The-Avengers-1967-YP802709.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Avengerholic
How to Succeed... at Posting!


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 876
Location: Avengerland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeR wrote:
Rodney

John Buss (aka Why Bother) has a huge amount of memorabilia associated with The Avengers, The New Avengers and the feature film, including some costumes, which were on display at The Avengers at 50 event some years ago. If anyone has props from the original series then I would think hes the most obvious person who could have something.


I don't know if this is the same guy that lives in Reading, Berkshire, but he owns an astonishing amount of original props from the series inc the Broadcast power generator, Tara King costumes and what remains of George Oblique Stroke XR40. I sold him a couple of my props back in the day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4167
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cybernaut Prop Mask Sells for 1000! Reply with quote

MikeR wrote:
The fibreglass prop Cybernaut mask (lot 275) used in The New Avengers episode Last of the Cybernauts was sold by auction last month by The Prop Store, for 1,000, which appeared to be the reserve price. Very pricey, even for a piece of New Avengers history, but to prove its originality they are providing a Prop Store Certificate of Authenticity.

http://propstore.auctionserver.net/view-auctions/catalog/id/26/lot/3435/



wow....a piece of history..and bragging rights
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TrueIndigo
Thingumajig


Joined: 28 Aug 2015
Posts: 62
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the stylised simplicity of the cybernaut faces particularly sinister when I was a child, just as the B/W Patrick Troughton period of "miners light" Cybermen looked more nightmarish precisely because of their crudity, compared to the shiny perfection of current Doctor Who Cybermen. It's interesting how the props (particularly in a fantasy type TV show) really contribute to the atmosphere just as the art direction does, and stay in the mind.

Does anyone know whatever happened to the impressive brass/copper vintage model car in Tara's flat? Having recently watched Stay Tuned, I wonder where else have I seen those distinctive brass model trains? Not just in The Avengers, but weren't they also dressing the set of a flat in Modesty Blaise? Yep, I need to get a life...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Avengerholic
How to Succeed... at Posting!


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 876
Location: Avengerland

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cybernaut Prop Mask Sells for 1000! Reply with quote

MikeR wrote:
The fibreglass prop Cybernaut mask (lot 275) used in The New Avengers episode Last of the Cybernauts was sold by auction last month by The Prop Store, for 1,000, which appeared to be the reserve price. Very pricey, even for a piece of New Avengers history, but to prove its originality they are providing a Prop Store Certificate of Authenticity.

http://propstore.auctionserver.net/view-auctions/catalog/id/26/lot/3435/


How hard could it be to make an exact replica of that, cracks, chips and all ! I simply can't resist Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MikeR
Epic


Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 1032
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeR wrote:
I would think that props from The Avengers could have been retained at Elstree Studios until April 1986, when Thorn EMI sold its Screen Entertainment division, for 110 million to Australian media owner Alan Bond, who in turn sold it a week later to Cannon for 175 million. If props from The Avengers had not been disposed of by then, I think Cannon would have had a complete clear out.

I do know that Brian Clemens owned the prop clapperboard from Epic, for the making of The Destruction of Mrs Emma Peel.


The clapperboard from Epic was in the office that Brian Clemens and Albert Fennell had at Elstree Studios after production ceased on The Avengers. They started a production company called Crumlin Films although I don't think that name ever appeared on anything. During this period they did And Soon the Darkness for ABPC/EMI and Captain Kronos: Vampre Hunter and Doctor Jekyll and Sister Hyde for Hammer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers on Television All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com

Free Web Hosting | File Hosting | Photo Gallery | Matrimonial


Powered by PhpBB.BizHat.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com