The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index The Avengers International Fan Forum

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diana Rigg
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The People Behind The Avengers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Avengerholic
Epic


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 1062

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an interview I saw recently Diana Rigg stated that she hates the name 'Emma Peel'. She never went on to elaborate, does anyone know of any particular reason for her dislike ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
frank
Little Wonder


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 224
Location: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably it's 2-fold

1) she considers the Avengers a small part of her career. technically that is true since it covered maybe 3 years of her life. yet it's what she is most identified with. from her perspective, perhaps too much so

2) It's been well documented how unpleasant of a working experience it was for her. If this was today, she at least would have a huge salary to compensate her for all the long exhausting work and BS she endured during her tenure.

The salary she and MacNee received wasn't anything to brag about-even factoring inflation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4202
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank wrote:
Probably it's 2-fold

1) she considers the Avengers a small part of her career. technically that is true since it covered maybe 3 years of her life. yet it's what she is most identified with. from her perspective, perhaps too much so

2) It's been well documented how unpleasant of a working experience it was for her. If this was today, she at least would have a huge salary to compensate her for all the long exhausting work and BS she endured during her tenure.

The salary she and MacNee received wasn't anything to brag about-even factoring inflation



good points to consider...I would love to hear comments from Diana on the very subjects etc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Avengerholic
Epic


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 1062

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know her feelings towards, and experiences on the series, my point really was from the interview it came across that she loathed the name 'Emma Peel'. I was just curious if there was a reason, her comment seemed directed at the actual naming of the character rather than her well documented feelings towards the part she played and the Avengers in general.

I believe she still gets her 2% royalties from all profits the series makes even today. Not many actors can say that about a show they starred in over 50 years ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrspeel01
Nutshell


Joined: 20 May 2016
Posts: 48

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel it might be because of how the name, Emma Peel, was arrived at. It is now Avengers-legend, that publicist Marie Donaldson was thinking about what the new character needed to have. She was thinking she needed "Man Appeal", which she eventually shortened to "M-Appeal", which led to "Emma Peel". So it might be that Diana Rigg thinks that it is ironic that for a strong independent woman that Emma Peel was supposed to be, her name actually derived from Man Appeal !! And thus, she dislikes the name!

Also, in interviews she has been very scornful of the idea that the producers created such a poweful female icon on purpose. She has reminded people that the original partner for Steed was a man (Dr. David Keel played by Ian Hendry), and that when Hendry left they chose a woman (Honor Blackman) to play a man's part and didn't change the scripts! She states that it was because of this that such a powerful female character and icon emerged-by accident and not at all intentional.

In various books/interviews about the series it has been stated that creator Sydney Newman wanted a woman to replace Ian Hendry, but she wasn't playing the exact same part. Not in the way that the re-imagined "Battlestar Galactica" TV series did, by turning the previously male character of Starbuck into a female. Or, as thy did in the TV series "Elementary", whereby Dr John Watson is now a female Watson! So, not sure if it is accurate to say that the same scripts were used for Cathy Gale that had been written for David Keel. In the same books on the series, it has been stated that the remaining Keel scripts after Hendry had left were used for the character of Dr. Martin King (played by Jon Rollason) without change. (for 3 episodes in series 2). Thus Dr King has no introductory story-he and Steed already know each other.

However, Honor Blackman has stated in various interviews over the years that her original scripts were written for a man and that once the writers knew they were writing for a woman they began to soften the character. They had to be told that this was to be a different kind of female character. Again, not sure if this is entirely accurate. If so, was it original producer Leonard White who had to remind the writers ? Or could it be that Honor Blackman was originally given a Keel script or 2 to read when she was to begin playing the part of Cathy Gale, just to give her an idea of what the series was about ?

After so many years it would be easy for those involved to forget the exact details of such things and thus different versions of what actually happened emerge.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4202
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avengerholic wrote:
I know her feelings towards, and experiences on the series, my point really was from the interview it came across that she loathed the name 'Emma Peel'. I was just curious if there was a reason, her comment seemed directed at the actual naming of the character rather than her well documented feelings towards the part she played and the Avengers in general.

I believe she still gets her 2% royalties from all profits the series makes even today. Not many actors can say that about a show they starred in over 50 years ago.


wow, amazing that she still sees some sort of royalty payment..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Avengerholic
Epic


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 1062

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mousemeat wrote:
Avengerholic wrote:
I know her feelings towards, and experiences on the series, my point really was from the interview it came across that she loathed the name 'Emma Peel'. I was just curious if there was a reason, her comment seemed directed at the actual naming of the character rather than her well documented feelings towards the part she played and the Avengers in general.

I believe she still gets her 2% royalties from all profits the series makes even today. Not many actors can say that about a show they starred in over 50 years ago.


wow, amazing that she still sees some sort of royalty payment..


I believe that's correct. Both her and Patrick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrspeel01
Nutshell


Joined: 20 May 2016
Posts: 48

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Patrick once said in an interview that whoever buys the series has to pay him and Diana their 2%. It has changed hands many times, including Weintraub Entertainment Jerry Weintraub produced the film in 1998. He bought the series to own the film rights and then quicky sold the series to Lumiere .Studio canal, are, of course, the current owners. Patrick also said that they are supposed to receive repeat fees but there is a clause in the contract stating it has to be shown in 50 contries at the same time or something similar to that, in order to receive it!

Seems very unfair and there might well have been a new contract or a re-negotiation later, especially in light of the video/DVD market. The US and UK actors unions did fight to have fees from these sales paid to their members whose contracts hadn't inclluded them, such as pre-1980s, before the home video market began. Today, of course, it is usually included in actors contracts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberrich
Site Admin


Joined: 05 Sep 2008
Posts: 1031
Location: Midlands, U.K.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana seems to have been busy lately. I've enjoyed her performances in the current and final series of Game of thrones. Then tonight she cropped up in the new series of Victoria as the Duchess of Buccleuch, and stole the show!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spaceship Dispatcher
The Ministry


Joined: 01 Jan 2014
Posts: 592
Location: Northampton

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberrich wrote:
Diana seems to have been busy lately. I've enjoyed her performances in the current and final series of Game of thrones. Then tonight she cropped up in the new series of Victoria as the Duchess of Buccleuch, and stole the show!

She's in Victoria now? Excellent! I'm looking forward to catching up with s2 even more now...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dissolute
The Ministry


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 1474
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dame Diana returns to Elstree:

http://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/news/15500574.The_Germans__39__revenge_for_my_night_of_the_Dam_Busters/?ref=fbshr
_________________
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberrich
Site Admin


Joined: 05 Sep 2008
Posts: 1031
Location: Midlands, U.K.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote




Tonight I watched what I think was Diana's TV debut. It was on a long forgotten TV series from 1963 called The Sentimental agent. Not a brilliant series it has to be said, but fascinating to see Diana already looking like Emma Peel. Even down to the hairstyle!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberrich
Site Admin


Joined: 05 Sep 2008
Posts: 1031
Location: Midlands, U.K.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that the above episode of The Sentimental agent was scripted by Brian Clemens. I've heard it said that Diana was spotted in the 1964 TV play the Hothouse and then asked to audition. I'm sure Clemens would also have remembered Diana in this too, even though this was made over a year before she auditioned.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberrich
Site Admin


Joined: 05 Sep 2008
Posts: 1031
Location: Midlands, U.K.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Detectorists is back on BBC4 (Wednesdays at 9pm) for a third series. Quite a quirky entertaining series in which Diana appears as Rachel Sterling's mother. Which is a nice touch Exclamation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The People Behind The Avengers All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
Page 28 of 28

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com

Free Web Hosting | File Hosting | Photo Gallery | Matrimonial


Powered by PhpBB.BizHat.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com