The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index The Avengers International Fan Forum

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Are the Chances of a Comeback?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DaveDJ
White Dwarf


Joined: 06 Oct 2019
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: What Are the Chances of a Comeback? Reply with quote

I'd love the show to come back in some guise. It would have to be retitled, though, so as not to be confused with the Marvel property.

Studio Canal, I think, own the rights (?)

Is there anything stopping it from happening? I know Shane Black was attached to a reboot last year, but I haven't heard anything since.

It has to happen, though, right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sam
Have Fingers... Will Type!


Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 492
Location: Superior AZ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What Are the Chances of a Comeback? Reply with quote

DaveDJ wrote:
I'd love the show to come back in some guise. It would have to be retitled, though, so as not to be confused with the Marvel property.

Studio Canal, I think, own the rights (?)

Is there anything stopping it from happening? I know Shane Black was attached to a reboot last year, but I haven't heard anything since.

It has to happen, though, right?


Bryan Fuller talked about a reboot as well, but he has a history of bailing from projects before they even hit the screen!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Avengerholic
Epic


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 1229

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if they did bring it back (and they wont) it would be dark, gritty and will have had all the fun taken out of it.
_________________
Replica Avengers Props
https://avengerholic.simplesite.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darren
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 1880
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind stuff that is clearly inspired by it but I really don't see it coming back.

I'm open to being proved wrong though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4175
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why it should have to be retitled. We were there first. Marvel can retitle their rubbish. In fact wasn't the first Avengers film of their renamed for distribution in the UK Hmmph.
_________________
Last watched: The Man in the Mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lee
Thingumajig


Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 51
Location: Surrey

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think a comeback is a good idea. The New Avengers managed it to a greater or lesser degree because elements of the original show could be seen, and the creative team behind it were generally the same.

Comebacks with different actors playing the same part are, in my opinion, generally not successful. The recent revival of Van Der Valk has not been seen as successful by many who tuned in out of love for the original.

I believe Doctor Who to be the exception, as throughout the history of the programme it has been rebooted with a different actor - although there are many who say the new version of the programme is not faithful to the original (a whole different debate).

The Avengers was born out of a time when boundaries were being pushed, in terms of story telling and female leads, where a country emerging from the shadow of war into a greater self confidence lead to more surreal tastes. The cultural origins of where the show came from are long gone, and I don't feel we are able to recreate them. The film had so many elements that were straight out of the more successful episodes of the series, yet it was a total disaster (ok, I concede that is another different debate), but you get my drift.

As a fan of archive television, I am happy to watch both monochrome and colour versions of the series. I think we should promote it for what it was. Often, a revived series aims to meet the desires of a current audience, which in turn alienates the audience who originally enjoyed the format because it no longer appeals to them as the programme they originally fell in love with.
_________________
You really must have a word with that cleaning lady....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Allard
The Ministry


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 1795
Location: The Netherlands

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving it would 99% chance not work. The legacy of The Avengers should not be rehashing it, but reusing its successful elements. In this sense The Avengers has lots of offspring. Maybe one day a series that comes really close, but I don't think this is the era for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4175
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank goodness it was made in a stylish age, and continues to mature like a fine wine.
_________________
Last watched: The Man in the Mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4442
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What Are the Chances of a Comeback? Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
DaveDJ wrote:
I'd love the show to come back in some guise. It would have to be retitled, though, so as not to be confused with the Marvel property.

Studio Canal, I think, own the rights (?)

Is there anything stopping it from happening? I know Shane Black was attached to a reboot last year, but I haven't heard anything since.

It has to happen, though, right?


Bryan Fuller talked about a reboot as well, but he has a history of bailing from projects before they even hit the screen!


He also has a history, of getting fired from a project as well...or darn near crashing it...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4442
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
I don't see why it should have to be retitled. We were there first. Marvel can retitle their rubbish. In fact wasn't the first Avengers film of their renamed for distribution in the UK Hmmph.


the more I think about this, The more I would concur with Frankymole. However, I just don't think it'll ever happen...and that ill fated Avengers film of what, 1998, certainly proved that scenario. I would like to see a re mastered director's cut of the film..with deleted scenes restored, etc...but I don't see Warners going to the trouble...as the DVD, is long out of print in the States.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paulh
Nutshell


Joined: 09 Oct 2016
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, the show has already made a comeback in audiobook form. Since 2014, Big Finish have released 26 episodes with Steed and Dr Keel, 12 with Steed and Mrs Peel, 4 (with a further 4 planned) with Steed and Tara King and a 2 part story reuniting Steed with Dr Keel, Mrs Gale, Mrs Peel and Tara King. So far I've thoroughly enjoyed them all!
_________________
Old account paulpdjh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4442
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulh wrote:
Of course, the show has already made a comeback in audiobook form. Since 2014, Big Finish have released 26 episodes with Steed and Dr Keel, 12 with Steed and Mrs Peel, 4 (with a further 4 planned) with Steed and Tara King and a 2 part story reuniting Steed with Dr Keel, Mrs Gale, Mrs Peel and Tara King. So far I've thoroughly enjoyed them all!


audio form, has been making a valid comeback..sorta harkens back to the yesteryear of radio..but being popluar via audio VS film or TV, is a whole 'other kettle of fish...Could it happen ? sure. But the scripts would have to be top notch, unless they would be recycling scripts from the 60's, and selecting the right people to play Steed or Mrs.Peel...etc...I just don't see anyone out there having the chops to pull it off...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paulh
Nutshell


Joined: 09 Oct 2016
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mousemeat wrote:
paulh wrote:
Of course, the show has already made a comeback in audiobook form. Since 2014, Big Finish have released 26 episodes with Steed and Dr Keel, 12 with Steed and Mrs Peel, 4 (with a further 4 planned) with Steed and Tara King and a 2 part story reuniting Steed with Dr Keel, Mrs Gale, Mrs Peel and Tara King. So far I've thoroughly enjoyed them all!


audio form, has been making a valid comeback..sorta harkens back to the yesteryear of radio..but being popluar via audio VS film or TV, is a whole 'other kettle of fish...Could it happen ? sure. But the scripts would have to be top notch, unless they would be recycling scripts from the 60's, and selecting the right people to play Steed or Mrs.Peel...etc...I just don't see anyone out there having the chops to pull it off...


Very true. My own view is that any attempt to bring back the Avengers would stand a better chance of success if they went with the Steed and Mrs Gale partnership. In many ways their relationship is far more intriguing than any of Steed's relationships with his later partners. Also the fact that Mrs Gale is less well known in many countries could be an advantage. I'm not sure if she could pull it off on television, but Beth Chalmers was fantastic as Cathy in the audiobook series!
_________________
Old account paulpdjh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Peter Motte
Little Wonder


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 159

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avengerholic wrote:
Even if they did bring it back (and they wont) it would be dark, gritty and will have had all the fun taken out of it.


I think you can bring it back without being dark and gritty and without all the fun.
Murder in Paradise is a good exemple of what's still possible, although a murder case is of course not a comical event.
All you need is a good scriptwriter.

I also think you shouldn't rely too much on older charachters. The original series didn't either.
Steed's side-kick changed everytime the actress was replaced. There is no reason to hold on to the charachte rof Mrs. Peel.

The big problem is what to do about Steed?
Except for the 1st season he was in each episode. He was the most important binding element of all episodes.
In other words: could you replace Patrick Macnee?
_________________
Prrr......
-----------
Peter Motte, translator English/French to Dutch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dissolute
The Ministry


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 1970
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is pretty much no point in making a revival or reboot or remake.
_________________
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4442
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dissolute wrote:
There is pretty much no point in making a revival or reboot or remake.


I concur 100 %.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Peter Motte
Little Wonder


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 159

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they do it well, nobody will have any objection.

Imagine: franchises like Batman or Superman are much much older.
_________________
Prrr......
-----------
Peter Motte, translator English/French to Dutch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4442
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Motte wrote:
If they do it well, nobody will have any objection.

Imagine: franchises like Batman or Superman are much much older.


the key word is ' IF '.....besides, you can't compare the show to either batman or superman TV series, as they were considered sub moronic.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Superman in the 50's, and Batman when it aired on U.S. ABC-TV in 1966 -68, but they were eye candy..compared to our beloved Avengers...interesting stories, snappy dialogue , great acting, etc..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Peter Motte
Little Wonder


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 159

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, the IF is a big IF...

What could be done, however, is making a new Avengers series with Purdy (Joanna Lumley) in a similar role as John Steed had in The New Avengers.
That would link things up.
_________________
Prrr......
-----------
Peter Motte, translator English/French to Dutch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4442
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Motte wrote:
True, the IF is a big IF...

What could be done, however, is making a new Avengers series with Purdy (Joanna Lumley) in a similar role as John Steed had in The New Avengers.
That would link things up.


Could be interesting....but I don't see it happening....myself, always consider Purdy, to be the weakest link in the avengers...4th..behind Gale, Peel, and King..but that's just my opinion...depending on who they team her up with..it could very well signal a new era of the show...But at this point, Ms. Lumley is getting up in the years, as well...so a ' new ' girl would probably be selected...with a new name...( ??? )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers on Television All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com

Free Web Hosting | File Hosting | Photo Gallery | Matrimonial


Powered by PhpBB.BizHat.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com