The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index The Avengers International Fan Forum

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1.01 - Hot Snow
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> Series 1 - Dr Keel
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Episode rating
10
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
9
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
8
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
7
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
6
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
5
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
4
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
3
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

Author Message
dissolute
The Ministry


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 2082
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: 1.01 - Hot Snow Reply with quote

Tell us what you think of "Hot Snow"
_________________
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 1683

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. Given it's the first it is exciting to watch. But alas there is no ending. So one is left in suspense longing to see what happens next. THe worst part was that as soon as the action began, Dr. Keel's fiance is shot, it ends! Whoever found only half an episode at UCLA must be some kind of sadist. Yet it is so wonderful to see any of it.

I thought that although they are introducing us to these new characters, that it dragged a little for the beginning of a show. But from a historical perspective on the show after only having seen the Emma/ Tara years it was truly fascinating and not what I expected at all. It did not look even remotely like the show I was familiar with. I was confused that it all started in a doctor's office. No Steed. The only common thread I could find is that they were English. Seriously it was night and day from what it eventually developed into. It was strange to see that as my first non Emma/Tara episode.
_________________
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rhonda
How to Succeed... at Posting!


Joined: 19 Jan 2010
Posts: 790
Location: A town, UK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite a dramatic one with Dr. Keel's colleague congratulating him one minute on their engagement and then the shooting; I felt sad for his fiance and Dr. Keel and anger at the criminals. It's great that we have a bit of the very first one to watch, so I'm giving it an 8 for it's dramatic effect.
_________________
Ron
Last Watched : Castle De'Ath
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darren
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 1962
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a surreal experience to watch this one, almost like one of those dreams where you know that you're experiencing something but it bares absolutely no resemblance to reality. We have the opening act of The Avengers yet there's virtually nothing that we're familiar with bar Keel and the Theme music.

It's such a miracle that we have this speck of the start.

7/10
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Operation E.N.G.L.A.N.D.
Nutshell


Joined: 19 Jun 2016
Posts: 17
Location: Oreland, PA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly incomplete, of course, and therefore difficult to reach a meaningful judgment about, but Hendry and Catherine Woodville do portray a young couple madly in love very convincingly, and the shooting scene is suitably suspenseful. The entire scene with Spicer trying to retrieve the package and constantly being interrupted is almost comic, which rather increases the poignancy when you realize that his failure to get it has sealed Peggy’s fate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4434
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know why IMDB is listing the broadcast date for Hot Snow as March, 2 months after the other early episodes of season 1?

I've submitted a correction, but sheesh.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054518/episodes?season=1
_________________
Last watched: Tunnel of Fear.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dissolute
The Ministry


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 2082
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB I think have listed the London TX instead of the Midlands TX.
_________________
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dissolute
The Ministry


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 2082
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just updated my episode pages for this and its part two, Brought to Book and after reading the scripts it seems clear - especially from Spicer's confession - that the Big Man in Hot Snow was the Nick Mason character (played by the hulking Charles Morgan) rather than skinny little Robert James.

https://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/series-1/101-hot-snow.html
_________________
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4434
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dissolute wrote:
I've just updated my episode pages for this and its part two, Brought to Book and after reading the scripts it seems clear - especially from Spicer's confession - that the Big Man in Hot Snow was the Nick Mason character (played by the hulking Charles Morgan) rather than skinny little Robert James.

https://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/series-1/101-hot-snow.html


That's interesting... but why did they get Robert James to play him then in episode 1 (better voice?) or was it a mis-attribution of credits?

I did wonder why Spicer would've changed sides in the "turf war" by episode 2!
_________________
Last watched: Tunnel of Fear.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4434
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dissolute wrote:

https://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/series-1/101-hot-snow.html
Oh just a little typo on the brough To Book page, "Steed demures" should probably read "Steed demurs".

Great stuff, I'm reading some stuff about these in Alan Hayes's books, not got the scripts yet though.
_________________
Last watched: Tunnel of Fear.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4793
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhonda wrote:
It's quite a dramatic one with Dr. Keel's colleague congratulating him one minute on their engagement and then the shooting; I felt sad for his fiance and Dr. Keel and anger at the criminals. It's great that we have a bit of the very first one to watch, so I'm giving it an 8 for it's dramatic effect.


I would concur..however, it's sorta a piece of primitive film making in terms of the script and actually murder, etc...really has nothing to do with what eventually became the AVENGERS..YET hot snow, is interesting to watch..on many levels...compare it to even the Cathy Gale, and you can see how the show evolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rhonda
How to Succeed... at Posting!


Joined: 19 Jan 2010
Posts: 790
Location: A town, UK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes TV film making was still learning a few things. That the the gun couldn't be heard (even a silencer makes some noise) did reduce the drama outside the jeweller's.
_________________
Ron
Last Watched : Castle De'Ath
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dissolute
The Ministry


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 2082
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
dissolute wrote:
I've just updated my episode pages for this and its part two, Brought to Book and after reading the scripts it seems clear - especially from Spicer's confession - that the Big Man in Hot Snow was the Nick Mason character (played by the hulking Charles Morgan) rather than skinny little Robert James.

https://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/series-1/101-hot-snow.html


That's interesting... but why did they get Robert James to play him then in episode 1 (better voice?) or was it a mis-attribution of credits?

I did wonder why Spicer would've changed sides in the "turf war" by episode 2!


I mean that Robert James is NOT MENTIONED AT ALL in the paperwork and I think Dave Rogers made a guess many years ago that was plain wrong (after all, his plot outlines for thes first two episodes were quite inaccurate).
_________________
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dissolute
The Ministry


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 2082
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhonda wrote:
Yes TV film making was still learning a few things. That the the gun couldn't be heard (even a silencer makes some noise) did reduce the drama outside the jeweller's.


That's an interesting thing, there are no FX or GRAMS notes in that scene so no gun shot sound effect was ever expected to be used.
_________________
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4434
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's covered in the McGinley/Hayes book. There's a script or storyline that specifies the gun was silenced - or it might be a prop list with the script, not sure but some contemporary documentation. It was specified Dr Keel hears no shot.
_________________
Last watched: Tunnel of Fear.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 4434
Location: Carmadoc research establishment

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dissolute wrote:

I mean that Robert James is NOT MENTIONED AT ALL in the paperwork and I think Dave Rogers made a guess many years ago that was plain wrong (after all, his plot outlines for thes first two episodes were quite inaccurate).
But Robert James was contracted for the first episode (and Morgan wasn't).... confusing...
_________________
Last watched: Tunnel of Fear.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
A Touch of Brimstone


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 4793
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
It's covered in the McGinley/Hayes book. There's a script or storyline that specifies the gun was silenced - or it might be a prop list with the script, not sure but some contemporary documentation. It was specified Dr Keel hears no shot.


what was the title of that McGinley-hayes book....?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dissolute
The Ministry


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 2082
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
dissolute wrote:

I mean that Robert James is NOT MENTIONED AT ALL in the paperwork and I think Dave Rogers made a guess many years ago that was plain wrong (after all, his plot outlines for thes first two episodes were quite inaccurate).
But Robert James was contracted for the first episode (and Morgan wasn't).... confusing...

Really? Is there paperwork for that? I don't have it in my archive.
_________________
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dissolute
The Ministry


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 2082
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
It's covered in the McGinley/Hayes book. There's a script or storyline that specifies the gun was silenced - or it might be a prop list with the script, not sure but some contemporary documentation. It was specified Dr Keel hears no shot.


what was the title of that McGinley-hayes book....?


Two Against the Underworld, which is a combination of their two earlier books.
_________________
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dissolute
The Ministry


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 2082
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
It's covered in the McGinley/Hayes book. There's a script or storyline that specifies the gun was silenced - or it might be a prop list with the script, not sure but some contemporary documentation. It was specified Dr Keel hears no shot.


That's right, the vison switches to Peggy and David on the street so I guess the idea is how it would have sounded to them, and the passer by who asks if she's ill. I'm guessing they were afraid of being censored or pushed into an even later time slot if there were an audible shot.
_________________
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> Series 1 - Dr Keel All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com

Free Web Hosting | File Hosting | Photo Gallery | Matrimonial


Powered by PhpBB.BizHat.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com