The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index The Avengers International Fan Forum

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cyd Child: Judo, The Avengers and Me

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> Avengers Books and Merchandise
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Big Bear
Little Wonder


Joined: 07 Sep 2008
Posts: 149
Location: Sevenoaks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Cyd Child: Judo, The Avengers and Me Reply with quote

It's an exciting time for Avengers fans. Cyd Child launches her new book, Judo, The Avengers and Me. With a foreword by Joanna Lumley.

Available to pre order now from Fantom Publishing and as a Limited Signed Edition and special Zoom event now!
https://www.fantompublishing.co.uk/products/book/miss-child-youre-needed/?fbclid=IwAR0cQ5SJM26UKVlFG0wWO4gaLxj9JCgjNoYD-A81fvZQfVlK6UR2eh6MDx4

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Frankymole
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 5185
Location: Carmadoc Research Establishment

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! So long without Avengers books and now several come along at once. This looks to be a corker, Cyd and her husband had such a high profile in the martial arts world, much more than "just" The Avengers of course. I look forward to having it on the shelf next to Honor Blackman's Book of Self-Defence, also an essential tome for true fans!
_________________
Last watched: "The Gilded Cage"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 5650
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
Wow! So long without Avengers books and now several come along at once. This looks to be a corker, Cyd and her husband had such a high profile in the martial arts world, much more than "just" The Avengers of course. I look forward to having it on the shelf next to Honor Blackman's Book of Self-Defence, also an essential tome for true fans!



I couldn't have stated it any better...feast or famine, indeed...with the success of both of these, perhaps it'll spur the release of others, or perhaps a re release of old favorites
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
James C McFetridge
Nutshell


Joined: 20 Sep 2008
Posts: 30

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Cyd Child: Judo, The Avengers and Me Reply with quote

Big Bear wrote:
It's an exciting time for Avengers fans. Cyd Child launches her new book, Judo, The Avengers and Me. With a foreword by Joanna Lumley.

Available to pre order now from Fantom Publishing and as a Limited Signed Edition and special Zoom event now!



Thanks for letting us know. I'm off to order it now!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 5185
Location: Carmadoc Research Establishment

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see Dave Rogers' books get another lease of life, maybe a definitely "Complete Compleat Avengers". His books and the two series of zines were my entry to The Avengers in print, when there was nothing else bar some fiction paperbacks and the odd, unobtainable short-run mag like the TV Times Souvenir Special. That they were far, far better than they needed to be showed the high standard that Dave felt was necessary for the show.
_________________
Last watched: "The Gilded Cage"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankymole
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 5185
Location: Carmadoc Research Establishment

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Cyd Child: Judo, The Avengers and Me Reply with quote

James C McFetridge wrote:
Big Bear wrote:
It's an exciting time for Avengers fans. Cyd Child launches her new book, Judo, The Avengers and Me. With a foreword by Joanna Lumley.

Available to pre order now from Fantom Publishing and as a Limited Signed Edition and special Zoom event now!



Thanks for letting us know. I'm off to order it now!
Me too - thank flip it wasn't on Lulu, or I'd never have been allowed to order it since they refuse to send me my password reset!

I had to studiously ignore the other Fantom Films stuff because there was so much there I really need but can't afford yet, not least the Anthony Ainley biography (a lovely actor I met a few times and who has given me sweets, and of course he's in both The Avengers and James Bond, as well as my favourite, Dr Who). One day, one day....

I got the bundle, I don't know how to use Zoom, I only have Skype, but for Cyd, I'll try to learn!! A signed photo or book would be marvellous anyway.
_________________
Last watched: "The Gilded Cage"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 5650
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after eye balling it, and reading some comments, I'm going to order one..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Allard
The Ministry


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 1955
Location: The Netherlands

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, Cyd Child deserves acknowledgment for being the "real Emma Peel" where it comes to the martial arts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mousemeat
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 5650
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allard wrote:
Very nice, Cyd Child deserves acknowledgment for being the "real Emma Peel" where it comes to the martial arts.


damn straight! unsung hero of the series
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MikeR
Epic


Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 1117
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another book that I was not aware of. Christine really is the business, she helped me so much when I was writing Bowler Hats and Kinky Boot, being very helpful in telling what day by day production on The Avengers was like. She also informed me that Linda would try and get shooting scripts changed, so the stunts were less complicated and then she and not Cyd, would be able to do the.

I also arranged for Christine to join us for the weekend on the Dead Man's Treasure Hunt event some years ago in Borehamwood and it was great to have her along.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paulh
Thingumajig


Joined: 09 Oct 2016
Posts: 76

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to read this book! It occurs to me that I've seen pictures of Cyd doubling for Emma Peel and Tara King, but I can't recall seeing her as Purdey.
_________________
Old account paulpdjh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
denis rigg
Mission... Highly Improbable!


Joined: 06 Sep 2008
Posts: 2423
Location: Moscow, Russia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeR wrote:
Another book that I was not aware of. Christine really is the business, she helped me so much when I was writing Bowler Hats and Kinky Boot, being very helpful in telling what day by day production on The Avengers was like. She also informed me that Linda would try and get shooting scripts changed, so the stunts were less complicated and then she and not Cyd, would be able to do the.

I also arranged for Christine to join us for the weekend on the Dead Man's Treasure Hunt event some years ago in Borehamwood and it was great to have her along.


Mike, you cheered me up, haven't heard from you on the Avengers threads of this forum in a long time. Thank you for these memories. You have no plans for an updated version of your Bowler Hats and Kinky Boot book? Wink

Lately, I get the feeling that the current Avengerland year is devoted to books. First there was the book about Honor Blackman by Unstoppable Cards, then Stay Tuned, now Cyd Child's book. Razz
_________________
Russian Steedumbrella fan-site.
https://steedumbrella.ru

Denis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Frankymole
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 5185
Location: Carmadoc Research Establishment

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulh wrote:
Can't wait to read this book! It occurs to me that I've seen pictures of Cyd doubling for Emma Peel and Tara King, but I can't recall seeing her as Purdey.
I think I read that she did some of the motorbike riding as Jo couldn't ride one at the time? It might've been a licence issue, to ride it on the open road if Jo didn't have a licence for that.

denis rigg wrote:

Lately, I get the feeling that the current Avengerland year is devoted to books. First there was the book about Honor Blackman by Unstoppable Cards, then Stay Tuned, now Cyd Child's book. Razz
Will Steedumbrella site have a section on books, once it's back? We do seem to have a bumper crop at the moment!
_________________
Last watched: "The Gilded Cage"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MikeR
Epic


Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 1117
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi denis

I have no plans to update Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots at the moment. However, if Telos Publishing wanted me to do this in order to publish a revised edition, then I'd be happy to go with that.

I'm only weeks away from my latest book being published, which is called Guns, Girls and Gadgets: Sixties Spy Films Uncovered. This is an overview of 50 sixties spy/secret agent movies (one per chapter) and it includes all the sixties Bond, Man from UNCLE, Harry Palmer, Derek Flint, Matt Helm films from that decade, as well as others.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
denis rigg
Mission... Highly Improbable!


Joined: 06 Sep 2008
Posts: 2423
Location: Moscow, Russia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankymole wrote:
Will Steedumbrella site have a section on books, once it's back? We do seem to have a bumper crop at the moment!


Definitely, Franky. Wink The books section was previously on Steedumbrella as well as other productions around the series. Fortunately, there can still walk around a small part of the site thanks to the web.archive.org, but many important pages are not saved. Sad

https://web.archive.org/web/20161016224930/http://steedumbrella.ru/steedumbrella_menu.html

After the end of work for the "The Avengers/TNA: List of people dead (1961-2017, 2019)" on the forum...

http://avengersfanforum.s2.bizhat.com/viewtopic.php?t=4130

...I plan to resume the site on another hosting (I will not transfer the content, since a small part of the old site has been rehabilitated, I can quickly upload it again to the new hosting). After finishing the music section, I'll move on to books, then to other sections of merchandise. Wink
_________________
Russian Steedumbrella fan-site.
https://steedumbrella.ru

Denis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
denis rigg
Mission... Highly Improbable!


Joined: 06 Sep 2008
Posts: 2423
Location: Moscow, Russia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeR wrote:
Hi denis

I have no plans to update Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots at the moment. However, if Telos Publishing wanted me to do this in order to publish a revised edition, then I'd be happy to go with that.

I'm only weeks away from my latest book being published, which is called Guns, Girls and Gadgets: Sixties Spy Films Uncovered. This is an overview of 50 sixties spy/secret agent movies (one per chapter) and it includes all the sixties Bond, Man from UNCLE, Harry Palmer, Derek Flint, Matt Helm films from that decade, as well as others.


I would like to believe that Telos Publishing will see meaning in a potential revision of your book, which I have always found quite valuable (I still study these "production Avengers sheets" on a regular basis).

It's good to know that you are continuing these film and TV themes from the 1960s with books. After all, there was a ton of cult things to educate the modern generation. Smile
_________________
Russian Steedumbrella fan-site.
https://steedumbrella.ru

Denis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mousemeat
Diabolical Mastermind


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 5650
Location: Elvis Central, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denis rigg wrote:
MikeR wrote:
Hi denis

I have no plans to update Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots at the moment. However, if Telos Publishing wanted me to do this in order to publish a revised edition, then I'd be happy to go with that.

I'm only weeks away from my latest book being published, which is called Guns, Girls and Gadgets: Sixties Spy Films Uncovered. This is an overview of 50 sixties spy/secret agent movies (one per chapter) and it includes all the sixties Bond, Man from UNCLE, Harry Palmer, Derek Flint, Matt Helm films from that decade, as well as others.


I would like to believe that Telos Publishing will see meaning in a potential revision of your book, which I have always found quite valuable (I still study these "production Avengers sheets" on a regular basis).




It's good to know that you are continuing these film and TV themes from the 1960s with books. After all, there was a ton of cult things to educate the modern generation. Smile




I second the notion of having updated version of your book ..and if the other two Avengers books show some decent sales and interest, then it's a no brainer..in fact, I'm hoping that several other books get strong consideration for update, etc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> Avengers Books and Merchandise All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com

Free Web Hosting | File Hosting | Photo Gallery | Matrimonial


Powered by PhpBB.BizHat.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com