The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index The Avengers International Fan Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International sales of "The Avengers" - when did t

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dissolute
The Ministry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: International sales of "The Avengers" - when did t Reply with quote

I've always understood that the generally accepted wisdom as to when ABC started selling The Avengers was with the Cathy Gale (season 3) series, but I've just uncovered evidence that at least 9 episodes of Season 2 were broadcast in Australia.

Time to dust off those mouldering tomes and start rewriting them!

Last edited by dissolute on Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Alan
A Touch of Brimstone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating news, Piers. I'd never have guessed! Keep it coming! Very Happy

Keep going back and who knows, there might be a chance of tracking down missing Hendry episodes if any of those were ever shown in Australia... Tantalising thought!
Jasper Groat
Thingumajig

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to post this earlier:

Off the top of my head, episodes from Season Two were shown in Australia, New Zealand and Canada. I've not kept a close eye out for these as I've always concentrated on Season One (for obvious reasons). If I go through any old cuttings I'll let you know if I have any definite proof.
http://wingedavenger.theavengers.tv/
Jasper Groat
Thingumajig

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a quick look through the filed stuff, but could find no hard evidence. Could be in the unfiled stuff (undated or un-sourced clippings - I call them The Orphans), something in a piece, or just me getting it wrong. I'll keep an eye open. Oh, and, good work Piers.
http://wingedavenger.theavengers.tv/
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasper Groat wrote:

Off the top of my head, episodes from Season Two were shown in Australia, New Zealand and Canada. I've not kept a close eye out for these as I've always concentrated on Season One (for obvious reasons). If I go through any old cuttings I'll let you know if I have any definite proof.

Season 2 was shown in Canada, I'm fairly certain. I believe I've read elsewhere that season 1 was the only one to be screened exclusively in Britain. Wasn't The Frighteners used to attract potential overseas buyers? I think that's the reason it survived.

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
JohnSteedFr
How to Succeed... at Posting!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were also broadcast in Italy, and according to The Avengerholic's opinion, there was a special opening there.
I'd love watching this opening but it's hard to find it.
dissolute
The Ministry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like it started out here with Season 2. The paper for 14 October 1963 refers to a "new crime series with a touch of humour and an undercurrent of social conscience" starting next Monday at 8pm - the first episode was "Mr Teddy Bear".

I'll check further back but I think that clinches it.

Two were omitted from the run - "Warlock" and "Man in the Mirror". I can understand the first as the Australian censors were notorious. I guess "Man" is brutal in parts as well, but really...
dissolute
The Ministry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Tara - ABN2 bought nine episodes and screened five of them before whisking them off air and replacing it with "The Governor and J.J.".
It was up against Randall & Hopkirk, Department S and The Survivors.

A month later, the remaining four were screened in the graveyard timeslot of 10.20pm Wednesday. Strangely, they screened seven Emma Peel repeats, dubbed "Steed's Choice" (Macnee was in australia at the time in a stage production) which commanded the Monday 8pm timeslot for 4 weeks, then moved to 7.30pm for the last 3.

As far as I can tell, they never bought the rest of the series - those screened were:

7.30pm, Mondays from 5 Jan - 2 Feb 1970
The Forget-Me-Knot, Look (Stop Me...), Split!, Whoever Shot Poor George/XR40?, Wish You Were Here

10.20pm, Wednesdays from 23 March - 13 April 1970
Who was that Man I saw you with?, Love all, Bizarre
JohnSteedFr
How to Succeed... at Posting!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dissolute wrote:
Poor Tara - ABN2 bought nine episodes and screened five of them before whisking them off air and replacing it with "The Governor and J.J.".
It was up against Randall & Hopkirk, Department S and The Survivors.

A month later, the remaining four were screened in the graveyard timeslot of 10.20pm Wednesday. Strangely, they screened seven Emma Peel repeats, dubbed "Steed's Choice" (Macnee was in australia at the time in a stage production) which commanded the Monday 8pm timeslot for 4 weeks, then moved to 7.30pm for the last 3.

As far as I can tell, they never bought the rest of the series - those screened were:

7.30pm, Mondays from 5 Jan - 2 Feb 1970
The Forget-Me-Knot, Look (Stop Me...), Split!, Whoever Shot Poor George/XR40?, Wish You Were Here

10.20pm, Wednesdays from 23 March - 13 April 1970
Who was that Man I saw you with?, Love all, Bizarre

That's not fair ! Surprised
So you didn't see the rest of the season Dissolute, did you ?
Or if you did, how did you do ?
Dandy Forsdyke
Diabolical Mastermind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. I wonder if it was the fact by 1970 The Avengers was considered a dead series had anything to do with it.

THE AVENGERS GALLERY
dissolute
The Ministry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnSteedFr wrote:
That's not fair ! Surprised
So you didn't see the rest of the season Dissolute, did you ?
Or if you did, how did you do ?

I was two at the time - I'm smart but my memory only goes back to being four.

I have vivid memories of the excitement caused by "The New Avengers" coming to Australian screens and subsequently discovering and falling in love with Diana Rigg.
That would have been 79, I think - TNA screened in 77/8 here and then they rolled out the Emma Peels for the late night slot (10.20, I think - ABN2 was nicer than TCN9 who regularly screened Dangerman at 5.10am - which it still does now, 31 years later).
TCN9 bought the rights to the Avengers repeats off ABN2 sometime in the Eighties, I think, and it's been irregularly doing the 3am slot since.
dissolute
The Ministry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
That's interesting. I wonder if it was the fact by 1970 The Avengers was considered a dead series had anything to do with it.

I'm guessing so - the nine Emma repeats were at 8pm, then 7.55 and the last three at 7.30pm - looks like ABN2 were trying to sweeten the timeslot a little but nothing was going to save it - they should have kept them on Friday nights where they'd been screening them in late '68.

(still a lot of gaps I haven't checked yet, I've been researching first run as a priority).
dissolute
The Ministry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sensationally enough, the Melbourne first TX dates seem much more complete and "The Forget-Me-Knot" debuted on 29 October 1968.

I'm floored by that, but I checked twice and it's definitely right. That's only a month after the UK, so I'm now going through all of the "The Age" archives to verify all the dates again. Looks like the ABC, despite being the "National Broadcaster" was worse than ITV for consistency.

They probably screened all Tara episodes (I haven't checked that yet, so don't quote me).
dissolute
The Ministry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just talk to myself for a bit...

I was wrong about the Tara broadcast in Sydney, but the Sydney Morning Herald listed them as untitled episodes, following on from a string of repeats, also untitled in the guide. I had assumed them to be more repeats.
An article on 20 October, just unearthed, announces that the Tara episodes will start on 15 November 1968 in Sydney (probably with "The Forget-Me-Knot").
The newspaper started naming the epsiodes properly starting with "Invasion of the Earth-Men" (sic) on 6 December, 1968.

I laughed when I saw they had the now sadly lost Avengers episode, "All Alone with Mirrors" listed for 27 December. Smile
Dandy Forsdyke
Diabolical Mastermind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dissolute wrote:

I'll just talk to myself for a bit...

Still reading intently! Wink

dissolute wrote:

I laughed when I saw they had the now sadly lost Avengers episode, "All Alone with Mirrors" listed for 27 December. Smile

I'm still giggling that Patrick Macnee's cousin is "TV conjurer David Nixon!" Laughing

'All Alone With Mirrors' sounds like a Mills & Boon novel ... Rolling Eyes I do get a cynical chuckle when I read a slightly confused fact or bit of misinformation about the show. It's sometimes reads like a new item from Viz! magazine! Laughing

THE AVENGERS GALLERY
dissolute
The Ministry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm done ... at least for now. I have definite first TX dates for Sydney* and Melbourne for all but a handful of episodes that appear not to have been screened at all.

See my updates page for the details. The dates are now on the individual episode pages, I'll work up a new page which collates the material into one.

* Sydney also covers Newscastle, Goulburn & the South Coast as the regiona ABNH-5 had the same schedules as Sydney. I'm guessing the same applies for Melbourne & Ballarat/Bendigo/Torquay.
MikeR
Epic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasper Groat wrote:

Does anyone have any evidence/dates of Blackman episodes being transmitted in New Zealand?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers on Television All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: