The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index The Avengers International Fan Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lily Cole goes for all-leather Avengers style

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers Spun-Off
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dandy Forsdyke
Diabolical Mastermind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Lily Cole goes for all-leather Avengers style Reply with quote

Good to see The Avengers is still making it's mark in fashion.

Today's Daily Mail.

Lily Cole goes for all-leather Avengers style catsuit for Paris fashion show

It looked more like an audition for a revival of The Avengers than a fashion show.

Dressed in an all-leather black catsuit, supermodel Lily Cole appeared to take inspiration from the character Mrs Peel in the cult 1960s TV show.
She wore the outfit while strutting the Paris catwalk yesterday to showcase the latest collection from Jean Paul Gaultier for the giant French fashion house Hermes.

The same look was the trademark of the actress Diana Rigg when she played the character of spy Emma Peel in the long-running TV show.
The role was reprised by Uma Thurman in a 1998 Hollywood film remake.
The character was always known as 'Mrs Peel' to her partner in espionage, John Steed - played by actor Patrick Macnee in the TV show.

And indeed, the top hat and umbrella sported by Lily Cole yesterday at the Paris Fashion Week show could also be a nod to the accessories carried by Mr Steed in The Avengers.

But designer Mr Gaultier claimed the inspiration for the look was a series of other British icons, including James Bond.
He said the collection was 'very English, inspired by The City, bankers clothes revamped for the women who work there', adding: 'It's a kind of Mrs. Bond, a Bond-ette.'

More pics of 'Lily Peel' at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1257017/Lily-Cole-goes-leather-Avengers-style-catsuit-Paris-fashion-show.html
hal anderson
Nutshell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I noticed the Brolly.... eventually Very Happy
norw27
Little Wonder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought someone would post something about this as I read it at work today! Always perks me up when I read The Avengers mentioned in the papers again!
Rhonda
How to Succeed... at Posting!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the designer is subconsciously thinking of The Avengers. We know whch actress played the only Mrs. Bond (in On Her Majesty's Secret Service)!
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was posted on the Lumley forum, too. It's always great when someone remembers the show and gives it a public showcase. Very Happy

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Dandy Forsdyke
Diabolical Mastermind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was, however, horrified that a British journalist could describe Steed's bowler as a top hat. He must be a young 'un.

THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Jasper Groat
Thingumajig

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That outfit is much more Uma Thurman movie Avengers, as is the model's dreary, smacked-arse aspect.
http://wingedavenger.theavengers.tv/
Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasper Groat wrote:
That outfit is much more Uma Thurman movie Avengers, as is the model's dreary, smacked-arse aspect.
She's probably hungry.

It's not really something you could wear to work or down the shops, is it? Certainly not in the Square Mile of The City. Maybe to a funeral. (Her clothes I mean, not her expression - though that too.)

What's the difference between a model and a "supermodel" these days?
Dandy Forsdyke
Diabolical Mastermind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the video from YouTube, Tara era-Avengers theme and all. Thanks to the guys at the JL forum - well worth joining!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOw3-I8pyyo

THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Strange Young Man
Little Wonder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Here's the video from YouTube, Tara era-Avengers theme and all. Thanks to the guys at the JL forum - well worth joining!

Some of those insects are really tough to look at.
Dandy Forsdyke
Diabolical Mastermind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange Young Man wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:

Some of those insects are really tough to look at.

I've seen thinner to be honest. Glad the video is still there after all these months ... Wink

THE AVENGERS GALLERY
frank
Little Wonder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be noted the avengers element in this collection is much more in the styling of the show than the clothes themselves.

The clothes are clearly influenced by a fictional british image or mystique though

It should be noted that what is shown on the runway and how the garments are styled are not intended to be what will necessarily be sold. That is the difference between a collection and a line

The collection (what's on the runway) is the artistic or editorial expression of the designer. The concepts fully actualized and put on display in full dramatic mode. The fully editorial pieces will usually only be seen by major celebs or fashionistas or worn by models in fashion magazines. The line is the toned down, commercial version of the clothes that will be picked up by buyers for various stores. They will be the practical or ready-to-wear version

the avengers element that was clearly played up was likely just for the show.

Incidentally if the model in question seems so dour, it's becuase that's what most designers seem to want the models to project these days. Same thing with their sizes.

A sought after model is someone who can elevate the look of the clothes that they wear. They have the ability to show off a garment to its best effect and instill it with an extra level of drama and sophistication. "Supermodels" are the ones designers seriously seek out for their runways or shoots and the ones considered who can impact the garments the best. They are paid obscene amounts of money-like 50,000 for a day's work. Naomi Campbell is a classic example of the supermodel. Regardless of her well publicized tirades in the press recently, she was 1 of the most in-demands models in the past 20 yrs, known for her presence on the runway.
Darren
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music is the dance version of the theme that came out on the movie soundtrack album done by Marius De Vries.

The clothes are quite down to earth for Gaultier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers Spun-Off All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: