The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index The Avengers International Fan Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steedumbrella: The Avengers in Russia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers Online
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anti-clockwise
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it wAs TNA k is for kill where jo wore a very bright multicolored outfit that was horrible.
denis rigg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:
Wow . Ditto. I feel the same as Timeless. This is terrific. Where do you find this stuff? I am so glad that Purdey did not turn into Charlies angels. I always thought it was ridiculous to do stunts with fashion clothes on and high heels. Even Mrs peel for the most part had comfortable clothes that were fashionable. What do you both think of the fashion for purdey? Some of it still holds up today but the one she had on in France for Killer was dreadful. Her hair and outfit. Not her fault. And I think she is far sexier than any Charlies Angels. Those girls have no clue how to fight or act! Rolling Eyes

Purdey's fashions have always been a bit hit-and-miss for me in general, not because of their practicality, but just from a taste perspective. Cathy and Emma were the best-dressed Avengers girls, and rarely put a foot wrong. Purdey and Tara's style was more uneven--they had some great choices, and some terrible ones. I'm not quite sure which outfit you're referring to--I'm assuming you mean one from K is for Kill as Killer was the Tara King holiday episode featuring Lady Diana. To be honest, when I'm watching TNA, I'm more interested in what Gambit's wearing than Purdey, which goes against traditional TV wisdom (i.e., the female lead should draw your eye on the fashion front). So no, they didn't always pick the best clothes for her.

Well, the TV series The Avengers had the best clothes, because the British were engaged in this issue (as the TV series - British). Even before I found out that there is The Avengers, I'm interested in the work of Pierre Cardin. One of the most influential fashion designers in the history of haute couture. He worked on the costumes for Patrick Macnee, from season 5, and it was memorable costumes. The creators of the show could not take to risk and they understood that since series will be shot in color - designers have to change. Pierre Cardin was expensive, but you had to interest American buyers. They should to work not just on excellent, BUT by 101 percent. Needed people with top ratings Exclamation

It is a pity that Pierre Cardin was too expensive (I think) for The New Avengers. We would seen wonderful costumes for Patrick and Gareth. Wink
As a result, the French manufacturers began to dictate terms and we can see on the screen a bit strange outfits. Confused
For example, I like white dress with red lipstick kiss pattern, but that this - girl seeking amorous adventures?

(All screenshots from the site Piers Johnson)

Not a very good start, too.

Costumes are decent - but strange to see this in the first episode. Where is showcase for TNA?

More...
I hate this suit Mad - I can not imagine this for Mrs. Peel.

A striking example of the wrong approach - and this is the first episode? Shocked Poor Lumley.

More...
Has anyone tried it on for Gareth originally or someone in a hurry stuck it to him on the set? What is this? Diving suit, sweater and sneakers? No comments.

However, with the second episode of the team began quickly to catch up.
Razz
Selectively, my love (season 1).

Selectively, my dislike (season 1).
Purdey:

Horror! With elements of Gothic.

I am glad that British manufacturers seen that it is impossible to work in this direction. Maximum of steps had been taken not to turn Purdey into a star of disco. Well, I think it is clear what I meant. Wink

Denis
dissolute
The Ministry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of those designs you dislike are by a British designer...
denis rigg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dissolute wrote:
Most of those designs you dislike are by a British designer...

I agree, Piers. I just showed the personal view of the choice of clothes.
When I mentioned at the end of about British manufacturers, I just summed up the grand total. Maybe I'm wrong formulated the proposal. Hmm...

Maybe...
I am glad that the British manufacturers understand that you can not work in the French direction. Smile

Refinements for readers in my last post:
After the phrase "Not a very good start, too" go look at the clothes in general (in the TNA) - I do not accent on French clothes.

Frankly, sometimes to compile messages in English I have to spend a lot of time (that's why I mostly write the short messages). And that is not always sure that correctly. But I'm trying. Although I studied English since about twenty years ago, but as said my teacher - I'm hopeless.

Denis
anti-clockwise

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denis. You are far from hopeless. Now if I started talking Russian that would be hopeless. And sometimes, even in English, I write things that I realize later was not exactly what I was trying to say. So you are doing great. And these pics are a fabulous way to talk fashion. Thanks to Piers from his site and to you for all your efforts finding these great articles.

Anyway I digress, back to fashion. I will take Mrs. Peel's catsuit any day compared to Purdey's clothes. I think it was the 70's and that is what was worn. But it just does not hold up over time. When I listened to Gareth chat with Brian about TNA, I also heard him say that Joanna's outfit was awful (from the Eagles nest). So he agrees with you on that.

i think back then, and maybe even now to some extent, clothes were made to be versatile. So her outfit as it unravels off of her, turns into a ballet outfit. I thought it was rather clever. I recall there was some red mixed with green which was not a match unless it is Christmas. But overall I actually liked the outfit from episode 1. I thought the way she disrobed was very functional for her fight scene. And both clever and sexy I might add.
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anti-clockwise wrote:
Denis. You are far from hopeless. Now if I started talking Russian that would be hopeless. And sometimes, even in English, I write things that I realize later was not exactly what I was trying to say. So you are doing great. And these pics are a fabulous way to talk fashion. Thanks to Piers from his site and to you for all your efforts finding these great articles.

Anyway I digress, back to fashion. I will take Mrs. Peel's catsuit any day compared to Purdey's clothes. I think it was the 70's and that is what was worn. But it just does not hold up over time. When I listened to Gareth chat with Brian about TNA, I also heard him say that Joanna's outfit was awful (from the Eagles nest). So he agrees with you on that.

i think back then, and maybe even now to some extent, clothes were made to be versatile. So her outfit as it unravels off of her, turns into a ballet outfit. I thought it was rather clever. I recall there was some red mixed with green which was not a match unless it is Christmas. But overall I actually liked the outfit from episode 1. I thought the way she disrobed was very functional for her fight scene. And both clever and sexy I might add.

Yes, Denis, you do a very good job. Anyone who can communicate in a second language has my admiration. Smile

Joanna herself hated the green bodystocking--she called it "the green slime." Ostensibly, I think it was supposed to resemble an Emmapeeler, but they got away from that pretty fast. The whole concept of Purdey's dress coming apart to reveal a fighting outfit was an early concept in the scripts that was ultimately dropped--the original draft for Last of the Cybernauts refers to it as Purdey "breaking away" her dress to reveal something easier to move in. But in the end they just left her in the dresses.

I'm attracted to nice clean lines in fashion--simple and elegant as opposed to busy/fussy. Cathy and Emma did it to a T. Tara and Purdey's clothes could oscillate--sometimes they were simple, sometimes they used a few too many patterns and the like. So I go for her red dress in Dirtier, another red one in the intro for K is for Kill, the black one with the slit from Medium Rare, that sort of thing. The multi-coloured horror you mentioned is from The Lion and the Unicorn, and I agree that it's just awful. Purdey spends almost the whole episode in it, too, so we get it inflicted on us for ages. I'm so happy when she puts that maintenance suit on over it and cover it up, I could cry. Laughing

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
anti-clockwise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting about the EmmaPeeler. What episode did Emma start the trend? I can't recall now but Purdey had layers upon layers in that outfit. Did Emma have so many layers?
I wish they had not picked green either for purdey, but I did not think it was as bad as some.
anti-clockwise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting about the EmmaPeeler. What episode did Emma start the trend? I can't recall now but Purdey had layers upon layers in that outfit. Did Emma have so many layers?
I wish they had not picked green either for purdey, but I did not think it was as bad as some.

Oh and what's with the scarves? As an agent that is a brilliant way to get choked. Function over fashion I always say.
denis rigg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the compliments, Jay and Anti-clockwise Smile

Emmapeeler was in the first color episode of season 5. Well, it looks appropriate without moments of doubt. It seemed was easy to come up with something similar for Purdey in the first episode, but unfortunately a designer too clever by half, "the green slime" looks like a swimsuit, while it was necessary to go in the direction of catsuit.

Well, we know Purdey completely different - comfortable and elegant costumes. And when in France we saw her with a new look - it was awful. This multi-coloured "Horror costume" (hmm... new term? Laughing ) Purdey in an episode of The Lion and the Unicorn designed for an agent from British Intelligence? Confused It is useful for masking. Wink Oh, I do not believe that it picked Purdey itself (not Joanna Lumley). Smile

I prefer costumes of Emma Peel, Cathy Gale and Tara King. The most memorable era of fashion. Well, frankly, I'm fan of the 1960s, since almost all of what was happening at the time - attracts. It was a time of change.

And by the way, I like nearly all the costumes Gambit, even more than Steed (respectively in the The New Avengers). Logical! Emphasize was need to active young main character and focus on that side. Steed also not been forgotten - but judging by the costume designer, pay more attention to a young audience, not really familiar with the classic TV series - to fill up an army of fans thanks to new colleagues Steed.

Denis
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anti-clockwise wrote:

Oh and what's with the scarves? As an agent that is a brilliant way to get choked. Function over fashion I always say.

Emma had the skintight catsuits, not all the layers. It's the bodysuit that's Emmaish, not what Purdey had over it.

Joanna's biggest complaint was that Purdey's wardrobe didn't really jive with what an agent would wear to get the job done, which is true. However, I did read one mini-essay on Purdey by an ex-dancer, and she said that, as a dancer, Purdey's clothes made sense, as all the skirts with slits and such would have been the easiest to move in, and felt the most natural, for someone from that background. I thought that was an interesting insight, and it made Purdey's wardrobe choices seem less impractical for the job at hand.

But that red/green/yellow outfit? Terrible. It's a terrible choice for following someone, and it has the same colour scheme as the Kellogg's cornflakes rooster. I don't know what they were thinking on that one.

denisrigg wrote:
And by the way, I like nearly all the costumes Gambit, even more than Steed (respectively in the The New Avengers). Logical! Emphasize was need to active young main character and focus on that side. Steed also not been forgotten - but judging by the costume designer, pay more attention to a young audience, not really familiar with the classic TV series - to fill up an army of fans thanks to new colleagues Steed.

I love, love, love Gambit's clothes, I really do. I have a thing for men's seventies fashion, which, admittedly, started with Gambit, but it's spread out to Jason King, and Danny Wilde, and Sam Tyler, and musicians like David Bowie and Bryan Ferry. I think sixties fashion was better for women, but seventies fashion was better for men. This mainly down to the cut of the suits--someone in the seventies came to the realisation that men, too, have waists and hips and an actual shape, and actually tailopred clothes to take advantage of that, as opposed to making them all look like giant rectangles, which is what happened in the eighties and we still sort of see today. It wasn't a forgiving cut--you needed to be quite slim for it to flatter, which all of men I listed above were. But if you had the right build for it, it created a lovely silhouette. I liked the pops of colour, too, in the shirts and the lining of the jackets and waistcoats--Gambit has beautiful silk-lined jackets in green and yellow. His suits are exquisitely cut and tapered. People like to point out the really outrageous examples from the decade as all there ever was, but if you got a really tailored, clean-lined, well-made seventies suit, it was absolutely exquisite. I never can get into men's sixties clothes--they all look as though they've been shrunk in the dryer, and I just don't think it flatters. Steed is an exception, as he's never really following the trends--his suits are very classic, with minor allowances for whatever decade he's in.

anti-clockwise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best looking men''s suits was on "WHo was that man I saw you with?". Now that was the best piece of framing since the Mona Lisa. Laughing

Seriously tailored suit. Shoes matched impeccably. Even Steed asked who the tailor was after he knocked the villain unconscious. Nice manicure and facial too. Wink
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anti-clockwise wrote:
One of the best looking men''s suits was on "WHo was that man I saw you with?". Now that was the best piece of framing since the Mona Lisa. Laughing

Seriously tailored suit. Shoes matched impeccably. Even Steed asked who the tailor was after he knocked the villain unconscious. Nice manicure and facial too. Wink

I can't call it to mind just now, but I'll take your word for it. Steed's suits were always beautifully tailored as well, of course. They gave him some shape, too--those horrible boxy suits don't flatter anyone. Patrick and whoever he had designing for him at any given time knew how to taper them from the shoulders to the waist.

denis rigg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Steed was always fans of the classic style of costumes. Despite the fact that Steed upgraded in TNA - the authors did not go for a full reconsideration classical significance of the hero of the 1960s, was held only a necessary correction. Steed did not become a different person, just older and wiser. Since the series is mainly calculated on a new audience - old cars were cancelled, and design of apartaments enriched. Chic! Welcome to the 1970s.

Jay, thanks for the detailed answer, as always, very good consideration of this issue. I would like to hear your opinion on the following:
Are there any suits Gambit that you do not like? How this has changed with the transition of the shooting in France (from your point of view) - was meaningful approach of tailoring suits for Gambit in these episodes? (well, we have already considered the question regarding Purdey's costumes in France).
And finally, I do not know where it is possible to learn, but I'm wondering - what suits in TNA preferred Gareth Hunt for himself?

Denis
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

denisrigg wrote:
Yes, Steed was always fans of the classic style of costumes. Despite the fact that Steed upgraded in TNA - the authors did not go for a full reconsideration classical significance of the hero of the 1960s, was held only a necessary correction. Steed did not become a different person, just older and wiser. Since the series is mainly calculated on a new audience - old cars were cancelled, and design of apartaments enriched. Chic! Welcome to the 1970s.

Jay, thanks for the detailed answer, as always, very good consideration of this issue. I would like to hear your opinion on the following:
Are there any suits Gambit that you do not like? How this has changed with the transition of the shooting in France (from your point of view) - was meaningful approach of tailoring suits for Gambit in these episodes? (well, we have already considered the question regarding Purdey's costumes in France).
And finally, I do not know where it is possible to learn, but I'm wondering - what suits in TNA preferred Gareth Hunt for himself?

Steed's style is timeless, like the character himself, so it looks good regardless of the era. So I agree they just tweaked his look. In the sixties, the short trousers were in, so they made his shorter, but not extremely short. For TNA, the style was to go longer, so they made his longer, but again, not hugely. The basic integrity of his clothes remains pretty constant--they just made small allowances for the current trend. It was just as well, as Patrick wasn't built for the seventies style I'm talking about--he's huskier than Gareth. But Patrick was always very conscious of the male silhouette, and knew how to flatter it.

I'm trying to think of all of Gambit's suits, and none that I really disliked are coming to mind. There are some I liked better than others--the ones with the green and yellow-lining come to mind, and he has this grey double-breasted number that he wears for about two seconds in Medium Rare and we never see again, which frustrates me to no end as it's absolutely lovely. And I like his pinstripes, which he gets a lot of wear out of. The biggest switch between seasons one and two is that they tried to make him more casual. Gareth actually wanted Gambit to dress more casual--he wanted to wear more jeans, because he felt the most comfortable in them, and he thought they'd be easier to move in for the stuntwork. He put it to Brian Clemens, who wasn't keen on the idea, reasoning that the nature of Gambit's work meant that he'd have to go to government buildings and chat with ministers, and he'd need to dress the part if he was going to blend in and get on with the job. But he did relent and let him be a touch more casual, which is why they gave him all those cardigans in season 2. Gareth observed wryly that that wasn't quite what he meant, and gave up pushing for jeans. I don't mind the cardigans on average, though there's one grey number I'm not keen on. They put him all in white in France, though, and I thought that looked very nice.

Despite wanting the jeans, though, Gareth did admit that a couple of his suits were from Saville Row, and that he thought it was pretty neat to wear some made there. I don't know which exactly those two were, but I think one could have been a brown three piece number that Gareth got to keep, and still had when he died, I believe.

denis rigg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, thank you for your answers. Smile
I hope everyone had interesting. Wink

Now we move on to another topic. Today I began to research the theatrical works Julie Stevens, as neither on one site does not mention their titles. We only know that in the period of late 1950's - 1960's, she participated in several plays in the UK.
Based on the source (link below), I started searching.

http://members.tripod.com/autograph_heaven/carryon/jsteve.htm

Firstly, quest was hopeless, but then I finally found some information.

Result - two plays. Not much, but considering that this previously mentioned only in passing, it's already a great "treasure". Very Happy

1. Niccolo and Nicolette. Play by Alan Cullen.
Library Theatre, Manchester, started on 9 December 1957.

Setting and costumes by Daphne Hart. Directed by David Scase

Helena de Crospo as Nicolette
Geraldine Gwyther as The Customer
John Franklyn Robbins as Magnus the Magus
David Mahlowe as Seamus O'Shaughnessy
David Sumner as Niccolo

Yes, you read that right - that's 1957.

Julie Stevens in tiny role - citizen. Also other citizen in this production is played by actress Elizabeth Shepherd Razz

Obviously, that after Julie in 1957 successfully made ​​its debut on the show "Bid for Fame" for young talents and was awarded a contract to work on TV, I think it also opened the way to the theater (the role of extra). Perhaps this was the first work for Julie after the show "Bid for Fame". An important and interesting fact in general.

Further, the number two.

2. How Are You, Johnnie?
Connaught Theatre, Worthing started on 26 November 1962.

Setting by Kenneth Turner. Directed by Guy Vaesen.

Julie Stevens as Madge Crossley (small role, too - but at least no extra)

Main cast:
Ian McShane as Johnnie Leigh
Margaret Diamond as Mary Roberts
Derek Fowlds as Les Thornton
Henry Moxon as James Roberts
Leslie Sands as Detective-Sergeant Brown

Remains in question the most well-known fact - Julie's performance in the theatre The Pavilion, in Ryde, Isle of Wight. I think it was in the early 1960s - since that is where she met her future husband, John White.

If someone knows what is this play - I will be grateful. Smile

Denis

Last edited by denis rigg on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad you're fleshing out Julie's career--we have so little on her, both pre- and post-Avengers. So it's nice to see her getting some intention. Amazing who crosses paths with whom--Julie and Ian McShane in the same play. Who'd have thought?

Frankymole
A Touch of Brimstone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denisrigg wrote:

Found it! From Irish newspaper for 24 july 1977. A little pity, published at the time when The New Avengers were filmed in France.
I wish I had a Subtle Sex Fashion Look!
denis rigg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
I'm so glad you're fleshing out Julie's career--we have so little on her, both pre- and post-Avengers. So it's nice to see her getting some intention. Amazing who crosses paths with whom--Julie and Ian McShane in the same play. Who'd have thought?

Yes, it was a pleasant research. Earlier often mentioned that Julie has been involved in only one play and I believed in it for years. Rolling Eyes But then we see that this is not accurate.

Now, Jay - a surprise for you.
Today I am focusing on the study of theatrical works and radio plays a very remarkable person. This is... Rolling Eyes (You guessed right, Jay Razz ), Gareth Hunt. Very Happy

Report on the result will be published here! Wink

Denis
Timeless A-Peel
A Touch of Brimstone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've found radio work for Gareth? Shocked I've found some stage stuff, but never radio (something I've always convinced he would have been well-suited for). I can't wait to see what you've found! Very Happy

denis rigg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work on the researches of theatrical works Gareth Hunt - continues.
Oh, I did not knew that our Gareth just was deepened with the head in these productions. They are quite a lot and may be even more than Diana Rigg's works. Every time I find something new. Hopefully I will finish the section at the end of the week. Smile

Now something GREATEST for fans of PATRICK MACNEE. The great find. While I was looking for Gareth's theatrical works and climbed up, so to speak, in the jungle Laughing , I've found an unknown television film with participation Patrick for 15 april 1960. Well, I was just in shock. Shocked (despite the fact that I know that he has a lot of Canadian works).

So, TV film is...

The Hill, a passion play written and produced by Paul Almond. It an account of the "great events, of the gospels from the trial of Jesus to His entombment.
Jeremy Wilkin as John; John Drainie as Simon Peter; Sarah Davies as Veronica, Tony Van Bridge as Asher; Patrick Macnee as Centurion; Murray Westgate as Harry; Normal Welsh as High Priest; Earle Grey as Pontius Pilate. Also Kate Reid and Jill Foster. With Douglas Rain as the voice of Jesus, Henry Comor as the voice of the Archangel Gabriel; Lloyd Bochner as the narrator.
60 minutes

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:F6Q95gue5oEJ:www.newspapers.com/newspage/41527446/+&cd=8&hl=ru&ct=clnk&gl=ru

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:GIaJsJ80ee0J:www.newspapers.com/newspage/41527217/+&cd=1&hl=ru&ct=clnk&gl=ru

(to find the desired - press the keys "Ctrl" and "F" - in the search field, type the word Hill)

Denis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Avengers International Fan Forum Forum Index -> The Avengers Online All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 8 of 21

Jump to: